Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kim S. Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I am struggling to understand how the RO determines the exact amount of radiation that each individual patient receives. My father currently has 14 more treatments to go and the RO told us today he is reducing the amount that he is giving to the non cancer side of his neck and the top of his lung area. We were told that he would receive a total of 66 cGy at 1.8 per day. I am just scared and worried is that enough and should he reduce the other areas. He has had 22 treatments so far. His neck and checks and upper chest are very badly burned at this point. The sides of his neck have certain cracks and were bleeding slightly yesterday. I don't want him to have more than he needs but I want it to be enough. Any insight anyone could provide about their own experience on others would be greatly appreciated.

Caregiver to Father:Stage III unknown primary; modified left side neck dissection 2/2006; 8 wk trmts of Erbitux 3/2006 with-37 radition treatments; 11.2010; biopsy of base of tongue results questionable. 9.2013 tumor on left side of tongue; squamous cell cancer. 10.2.2013 Hemiglossectomy(1/2 tongue removed) with reconstruct tongue using left thigh tissue;surgery included IORT.
25 additional IMRT radiation trtmts & 5 wks/chemo. Carbo & Taxol combo.NPO;100% PEG depend;aspiration pneumonia 3/2014
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

It would be dangerous to speculate on cgys of radiaton and where they should be applied. This is highly individual, but based on a particular patients situation. You are askijng people here a question that no one can give you a definitive answer for, nor guide you in if this enough or not. There is also no correlation between tissue damage in the form of burns and what is actually happening with the malignant cells as a result of radiation. Radiation burns and other issues are not plesant, but you do not want to have him not complete hes prescribed course of treatmnet unless absolutely necessary.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Kim S. Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Brian for your reply. I am curious to know what other's in this forum have received as total cgys. I am more worried about my Dad not receiving enough radiation. I am just trying to find at least ranges that are reasonable.

Caregiver to Father:Stage III unknown primary; modified left side neck dissection 2/2006; 8 wk trmts of Erbitux 3/2006 with-37 radition treatments; 11.2010; biopsy of base of tongue results questionable. 9.2013 tumor on left side of tongue; squamous cell cancer. 10.2.2013 Hemiglossectomy(1/2 tongue removed) with reconstruct tongue using left thigh tissue;surgery included IORT.
25 additional IMRT radiation trtmts & 5 wks/chemo. Carbo & Taxol combo.NPO;100% PEG depend;aspiration pneumonia 3/2014
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Radiation Oncologists are highly trained and skilled individuals and they take you (the patient) right up to the threshold of lifetime maximum burden. Don;t try to 2nd guess them, it will only cause you grief and stress.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
Kim S. Offline OP
OP Offline

Brian
I have also read that this therapy is a "no pain, no gain" type of therapy. In otherwords the more your mouth and throat are on fire and the more everything taste like tinfoil the better? Any advice/

Kim S. Offline OP
OP Offline

Darrell,
I would be less inclined to second guess the RO if my Dad was being treated at a major CCC and if he didn't have unknown primary. A large variance exist among RO's for treating unknown primary, even at the major CCC based upon the literature. I could not convince my Dad to even obtain a second opinion so I guess that is why I am more inclined to doubt the RO.

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I would definately NOT be in the "no pain no gain" school of thought. Regardless of the disease and the types of treatment, proper pain management is essential to the patient's well being through the process. The doctors should be on top of this. You don't have to "tough it out" to get through treatments. I was in really bad pain for a few days, but my treamtnet staff saw that I had enough pain meds of differnet strengths to put everything from the daily pain to the peak pain under control, and in my posession for use as it was needed. Radiation does do significant damage as a by product of freeing a person of cancer, but you shouldn't have to endure unnecessary pain in the process. Unless something is going very wrong... second opinions in the middle of treatment are hard to get. Doctors themselves are not inclined to second guess a current doctor's midterm plan.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Hi Sue-
During Charlie's treatment-even the slightest movement of his neck would cause his skin to bleed. It looked like his whole neck was covered in thick scabs. And it would flake all over. He didnt want to go out of the house because he didnt want people to stare.
But it did get better! It started clearing up with one week left of treatment. Now two weeks after treatment- it is nice (new) skin. I know how scary it is to see, but our oncologist told us "If it is this bad on the outside-imagine what it is doing on the inside".
I remember thinking that it was too much, but I trusted the doctor and he madeit thru treatment!
If you have concerns-talk to the doctor- I'm sure they can calm any concerns you have.
Charlie also got thick cream to put on on the weekends only and cold compressess when it started to hurt. Ask the nurses or doctor when you go the next time. Anything to help him get thru treatment! Best of Luck for you and your father!

Delia- Caregiver and fiancee to Charlie ,age 30,(SCC of Larnyx-Stage IV) chemotherapy and radiation- no surgery finished tx:4/7/06 SURVIVIOR!
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sue, even RO docs in small towns have the necessary training to do their work. Try not to dwell on this aspect of his treatment. It is easy to get into a spiral of second guessing that is not productive. Hang in there and focus on the other aspects of getting through treatments.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Sue, I live in a small town with a small hospital and a new cancer treatment center. The chief RO in this little town is straight from MD Anderson and the second in command has similarly impressive credentials. It might be the climate, but is most likely the world class windsurfing that is the draw, but if they had been here when I needed treatment, I would not have driven to the Big City. Mark is right that small town docs can know their stuff.

As far as pain control, speak right up. It is your dad's right to be given drugs to control the pain. Even severe treatment can be accomplished with little pain, and I can testify to that.

I wish you and your dad the best possible remaining treatment and recovery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users