Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tami Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

My mom was diagnosed with base of the tounge cancer on June 27th 05. It appeared to be limited to just the primary tumor (2cm)after a scope and a CT Scan but after a PET SCAN they found more cancer in the same side lymph node and a 2nd small tumor on the other side of the tounge.

The oncology team's plan is: 6 weeks 3d radiation 1x a day for 4 weeks 2x a day last 2 weeks. Also conjuctively 6 weeks of chemo (docetaxel, cisplatin & flurocil 5 day drip). The chemo plan was one week on, 2 weeks off. She had her first chemo week on July 25th. She did well for about 4 days then she progressively worsened. Mouth sores, horrible dry mouth to the point of being unable to sleep for more than an hour, terrible pain. On Monday of this week they hospitalized her due to low white counts, a high fever, dehydration, thrush and pain management.

My question is has anyone had this type of treatment and if so what type of reacations did you have? Was a feeding tube used? THe dr. seemed surprised that she got so sick so quickly. My concern is will she be able to handle 5 more of these chemo treatments especially when she gets her double dose of radiation. She is in TX and I am in NY so I feel helpless. Especially since she is so drugged up for pain she can't remember anything.
any advice would be appreciated.
desperate daughter,
Tami

Tami
Mom has Bot scc stage T1/N1= stage 3 dx 6/27/05 treatment IMRT & chemo (docetaxel, cisplatin, 5FU) ended treatment 8/22/05 Cancer free as of Feb 2006
dee Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Tami, Sorry you had to join this site. My Mom too was recently (july) diagnosed with tongue- head and neck cancer. She hasn't started her chemo or radiation as of yet but is getting prepared. I can't answer the questions you have asked. HOWEVER, I CAN tell you that you have come to the right place. Mom had a feeding tube placed in 2 weeks ago to assure we stay on top of her nutirtion and to help avoid her from losing much more weight. I was VERY happy they did this before they start any treatments. PLEASE continue to search this site, you WILL find others that have been through most anything here and great advice/suggestions has helped me alot. Stay strong you and your Mom will be in my prayers
Sincerely,Dee

Caretaker of Mom with Unresectable stage IV SCCHN, T1-3,T4..No,N1,N2-3. IMRT daily treatment starting 8/24/05. Erbitux every week starting 8/10/05 and Cisplantin every 3 weeks times 3. Diagnoised 7/5/05 -passed and in peace now on 10/1/05
Tami Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

thanks dee-
Sorry to hear about your mom too. What type of treatment is she going to get? RAD with Chemo or seperately and what drugs?
Tami

Tami
Mom has Bot scc stage T1/N1= stage 3 dx 6/27/05 treatment IMRT & chemo (docetaxel, cisplatin, 5FU) ended treatment 8/22/05 Cancer free as of Feb 2006
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Tami, Sorry to hear about your mom. At the Cancer Center where my husband is being treated, they wanted the feeding tube put in prior to radiation treatment. The reasoning was that most patients did need to use it eventually and they didn't want to interrupt the treatments to put in the feeding tube. It is a surgical procedure and done under anesthesia. My husband was in and out within 6 hours, but he had pain in his stomach area for 2-3 days after. Also, the patient needs to be able to get adequate nutrition and calories. My husband never needed to use his to eat but he did use it to take in extra water since he had trouble drinking much water eventually. I understand this is unusual and most people do use it in place of eating. My husband didn't have chemo. However, I know someone through work that was going through treatment at the same time - IMRT and chemo, after surgery - and she had a truly miserable time of it. She ended up being hospitalized for almost 6 weeks, having recurring fevers and various problems. They didn't give her the peg in advance and had to rush her in to install it just a week into the radiation. She had considerable nausea and couldn't handle getting nutrition through the tube for a few weeks - they did it intraveneously. She made it through and is 10 weeks out from radiation now. People seem to react to the treatments very differently.
Connie

Wife of Jerry - Dx. Jan '05. SCC BOT T1N2BM0 + Uvula T0N0M0. Stg IV, Surg on BOT and Uvula + Mod Rad Neck Diss.(15 rmvd, 4 w/cancer), IMRT 33x. Cmpltd 5/9/05.
Tami Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

thanks Connie for the info....did she have throat cancer. Did the treatments work for her?
Tami

Tami
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Tami, She had cancer in both tonsils and the uvula. She also had an enlarged lymph node but they didn't do a neck dissection. The last I heard, she was recovering nicely.

Does your mom have someone there in Texas to be her advocate and help her get through this? I know how rough this must be on you. My own parents live 3,000 miles away but are, fortunately, both healthy so far.
Connie

Wife of Jerry - Dx. Jan '05. SCC BOT T1N2BM0 + Uvula T0N0M0. Stg IV, Surg on BOT and Uvula + Mod Rad Neck Diss.(15 rmvd, 4 w/cancer), IMRT 33x. Cmpltd 5/9/05.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics