Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#38873 07-28-2005 01:30 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

There are no studies that I am aware of that say that Vitamin E causes cancer. In fact, yesterday I read an article that said that SCC is associated with dietary deficiency of anti-oxidants (such as Vitamin E), which is a particular problem with smokers.

The study to which several of you may be referring (J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 97:481) is the one where the patients also received for a time beta-carotene (which has been shown to increase lung cancer risk in smokers in a large NCI trial.) The reviewer felt this compromised the Vit. E findings. However, the hypothesis that anti-oxidants taken during radiotherapy may scavenge free radicals (produced by the radiation) and thus reduce their effectiveness at killing the cancer cells (which are particularly vulnerable to radiation -induced free radical damage) probably has validity and for that reason, the current advice is to stop taking these supplements during radiation therapy. It's not only Vitamin E, but also C and some others. (The double-edged sword is that your healthy cells are also getting a lot of unprotected free radical damage at the same time.)

Btw, there is huge evidence that worldwide, diets high in anti-oxidants, especially those derived from FOOD and not from a pill, are associated with lower rates of cancer. Vitamin E itself has been shown in trials to be associated with significantly reduced rates of prostate cancer.

Our nutritionist at Hopkins emphasized the importance of continuing to eat foods containing naturally-occuring antioxidants, such as colored fruits and vegetables, as long as you are able during treatment. In fact this is good advice for anyone...Fruit shakes would be a good option (I am not too sure about those broccoli smoothies, though...<gr>)

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#38874 07-28-2005 01:31 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Sorry to sidetrack your posts Barb, but about the VitE controversy, I thought it is shown in those studies for people taking it orally, but that topically it helps reduce mucositis?

Anyway, anytime I mention any suggestion, I try to remind you to check with a Dr first. (Like they know everything!?! :-)

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.
#38875 07-28-2005 01:33 PM

Gail, I guess I can always try to squeeze the broccoli smoothies into the 'G' tube :~) (just kidding btw)

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.
#38876 07-28-2005 02:16 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I don't make this stuff up go to "Adjunctive Therapy" topic and click on "Vitamin E may increase risk". The study was done in Quebeck. Check the "Oral Cancer in the News" link on the home page as well. "Cause" was a bad choice of words - but I'll stick with exacerbate.

There is another article, published om 7/13/05, that states that it has no chemopreventive benefit either.

I haven't seen any articles in regards to skin repair or reduction of mucositus so if anyone is aware of any scientific double blind studies let me know - save the testimonials from the health food store.

I had one doctor suggest to me to take that colloidial silver stuff for mouth sores (that will permanently change your skin color - to grey) and is listed on Quackwatch as a bogus "nutritional supplement".

But you should run everything by the oncologist first - they deal more with the body chemistry issues and coordination of all your meds.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#38877 07-29-2005 02:46 AM

Hi Gary ,

Two studies I found right off:

Pace et al. 2003. Neuroprotective effect of vitamin E supplementation in patients treated with cisplatin chemotherapy, J. Clin. Oncolog. 21 (5):927-931. Found neurotoxicity from cisplatin significantly lower in patients receiving 300 mg/d alpha-tocopherol. More importantly, no differences were observed in tumor weight inhibition, tumor growth delay or life span in two groups.

Ferriera, P. 2002 ASCO Conference presentation (this is probably the reference Michael mentions). Protective effect of Vitamin E (VE) in head and neck cancer radiation induced mucositis: A double-blind randomized trial. Treatment consisted of 2x daily 5-minute oral rinse and swallow of either 400 mg VE or placebo. Patients received 50-70 Gy 5x week. Used RTOG toxicity scale for evaluating mucositis, also collected mucosal cells for micronuclei assay. Found incidence of severe mucositis (grades 3-4) 36% less in VE-treated arm. Pain was also reduced, but not duration of condition. Reviewer said chief problem with this study was the small size of the study cohorts, and he also had some protocol issues.

Certainly a lot of the alleged benefits of Vitamin E (in heart etc.) have not panned out. The benefit for prostate cancer is, however, well-founded. Many of these studies have found benefit to be associated with gamma-E isomer, not alpha.Some have found E benefit only if in given in conjunction with selenium; the latter is vital to proper immune system function.

So, not such a clear picture...however, best to err on side of caution and stop anti-oxidant supplements during radiation.Just try to take in a good diet as long as you can...

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#38878 07-29-2005 04:11 AM
Barb Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Thats okay Michael. I feel lost with all the scientific facts anyway. LOL My best friend, who lives in Denmark, is a nutritional science professor and she gets on a roll about stuff and I just lay the phone down and go fix me a sandwich. haahahahahaa

I just got cancer and I wanna get rid of it. To bad all this knowledge can't cure us aint it? My brother-in-law is in surgery today. Kidney with mets to the bones and colon. I doubt if any article in the world could give him more than 3 months right now any more than it gave his daughter who died two months ago. frown

May the Great Physician hear our prayers.

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users