Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Barb Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

I asked my rad tech how many rads I was getting each dose and he said "Hun you are getting the max because Dr. Levy is gonna kill this thing once and for all." I asked him what is the max and he said 600 per dose.

Now is that why my throat was already sore and I could barely swallow on day 8? I don't understand all this stuff. If I am getting the "maximum" now then will I get the ones they call a boost at the end or will I not get them? Today is the beginning of week four. I am tired as a junk yard dog after a big meal. Is it because of the dose again? I thought fatigue didn't start until around week 5?

Sorry so many questions but I have been wondering about this since week 2. confused

In foggy mountain town today,
Barbara~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

The maximum daily fraction is about 2.5 cGy (or Greys as they are now called) The older unit of measurement was "rads" of which the average total was 3000. I really don't know what numbers they are giving you. Ask the RO at your next visit.

I kind of remember being fairly beat up by week three. I would sleep a lot after I was done with treatment each day.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Barb Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks gary. I will have to ask him tomorrow. I feel pretty much like poop tonight. Everything hurts. Blah. My neck swelled up so big I thought it was gonna burst for about three hours and then went back to normal. I saw a post somewhere on here about neck swelling so I am running of to see if I can find it again. It was pretty scary. I wish they would just tell you everything you "might" get and not just "the norm."

Bless you,
barbara~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Barbara,

My mom's name is Barbara too...and she was pretty beat up by week 2. We often wondered how she would make it through the entire 6 weeks but she endured it and never missed a day. Some days she would wait hours for the machine to be fixed but she swore she would not drag it out any longer than the 6 weeks she was told she would need. Her neck swelled a couple days and she had really bad burns. She resorted to the pain patches and I think she was up to wearing 3 or 4 at a time to tolerate the pain. If you are experiencing pain you should speak to you doctors about meds to manage the pain. Your over the halfway mark and thats when we started looking at it as a countdown. Hang in there. My prayers are with you.

Dani wink

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate

I don't know how ANY of us made it 6 weeks lol - but we do because the alternative is looking up at the roots! Of course, I can laugh now since it's been over 2 years now. I wasn't laughing much back then I can assure you. Maybe that's the way to get those terrorists to confess - just slap 'em on a LINAC every day.

There is no "norm" -we all respond differently to treatment. A book I had "Living Well With Cancer" by Katin Moore and Libby Schmais talked a lot about side effects and countermeasures.

Towards the end, and for a month or 2 afterwards, I had horrific days to fair days.

Human's are a lot tougher than we give ourselves credit for.

Hang in there - it WILL pass I promise.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Barb Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks dears. Well they said my neck swelled up because I got an allergy to the liquid supplement of all things. Now they want me to eat something called "calories" which is fat in a jar with no taste. I can stir it in milk she said. No thank you! That is the grossest thing I can't even think about it. I will just blend anything and everything into liquid and drink it before I go that route.

Dani I believe so many suffer much more than I do. Mine was caught early and though I am having some pain I know it is not as intense as some I have read about in here. Bless all your brave and courageous hearts. My machine, TG has never broken down. I am in and out in 5 minutes unless I have to see the doc, the nurse or the dietician. Praise the Lord your mother is still here and enjoying life. She is a brave soul.

Gary I totally forgot about asking about the rad doses. I talk so much and carry on we all get to laughing and somebody starts looking for the dict tape to tape me shut. LOL

How true about the terrorists. "Get on that chemo machine you dirty killing dog you and here is a shot of 4000 rads of radiation to your face you snake! That felt good Gary. Maybe I should do that more often. LOL
I try and find something to laugh about everyday no matter what. I watched my late husband draw up into a shell and what it did to me and the kids was a sad tragedy. We went into the pit right along with him and I viwed if I ever got it I would never put my kids throught that again and as yet I have been true to my promise.

Man I talk to much. LOL Bless you and be good to one another,
barbara~

Barb, it's really kind of moot. They always give the maximum dose or close to it (i.e. the "boost"). There is no such thing as Lite Radiation.

I can't wait to see OBL's face squeezing out of the mesh. Probably the only person I would wish this on.

Gary Allsebrook
Barb Offline OP
OP Offline

Gary, Gary be kind now. You know the devil will get you for saying that. I am sure glad my mask aint that tight. hahahahaahha

well I asked today and he said 180 greys with 200 being the maximum. That is enough confusion for me now. I just want the thing dead, gone and obliterated!

Bless you all,

Barbara~

I got it now - I'm actually more used to the older method of measuring in rads:
8.1cGy x100 = 8100Gy/33=245Gy or
7.2cGy x100 = 7200Gy/33=218Gy or
6.0cGy x100 = 6000Gy/33=181Gy

The last number being the daily "fractional" dose.

Some people get 35 treatments, which would lower the daily fraction a little bit.

My mask was so tight in the beginning that my face looked like fish scales from the impression left by the mesh. It loosened up as I lost weight.

Gary Allsebrook
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Barb, I guess since you are caught at stage 1, you shouldn't be receiving the maximum dose. I was scheduled for 42 treatments and towards the end, I was given 6 more as the boost because my doctors didn't want to miss anything and they thought my body could stand it. Well the journey was really tough but as far as I remember, I was still OK until week 5 when I could no longer swallow or talk clearly. The pain was never too much for me and my doctor said maybe it was because I kept on taking pain killers every day even though I didn't feel the pain. But the constipation was a big problem.
Gary, I also had the fish scales on my face for a few hours after treatment and on the first few days, I dare not look up feeling very embarrassed in case passers-by caught my sight. Then my sister-in-law told me not to feel ashamed of myself. I should look up telling everybody that I was a cancer fighter and I could make it through. So here I am, nearly 4 years after treatment with almost everything going back to normal. Don't worry, Barb, you can certainly win the battle.

Karen

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users