Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38706 06-23-2005 01:37 PM
Mark Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Abbreviations and definitions for common terms.

We all use abbreviations here and new-comers sometimes have a hard time understanding them.
SCC - Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Dx - Diagnosis
Rx - Prescription
Tx - Therapy? Treatment?
BOT - Base of tongue
PEG - Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy aka feeding tube

NED - No Evidence of Disease

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/nutrition/

HPV - Human papillomavirus
rad - radiation
ENT - Ear, nose, throat Doctor aka Otolaryngologist
Glossectomy - Removal of tongue
Metastasis - Spreading of the cancer
XRT - Conventional external beam radiation therapy aka EBT
IMRT - Intensity modulated radiation therapy

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/treatment/radiation.php

PET - Positron emission tomography scan
CT/CAT - Co-axial tomography scan
EBT - External beam radiation therapy aka XRT
OCF - Oral Cancer Foundation
NCI - National Cancer Institute, a sub division of the National Institutes of Health
CCC - Comprehensive cancer center or clinic; A tumor board at a cancer center will include doctors trained in different disciplines. Having your case presented and evaluated by this type of multidisciplinary team will give you the best options for treatment, considering all possibilities from their different areas of expertise.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/#centers

HBO - Hyper-baric oxygen Patient given oxygen under pressure prior to dental surgery.
Stage - Development of the cancer

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/discovery-diagnosis/stages-of-cancer.php

TNM - System for describing the cancer

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/discovery-diagnosis/stages-of-cancer.php

NCCN - National Comprehensive Cancer Network (an alliance of 20 leading comprehensive cancer centers).
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/treatment/

Margins - Refers to the margins of biopsied tissue; clean margins indicate that all the visible cancerous cells were removed.
Biopsy - Removal of sample or whole of suspect tissue

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/discovery-diagnosis/detailed-brush-cytology.php

Xerostomia - Dry mouth resulting from reduced or absent saliva flow
RO - Radiological oncologist
MO - Medical oncologist
DO - Dental oncologist

TORS - TransOral Robotic Surgery
http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/pennorl/research/tors

Last edited by ChristineB; 12-09-2016 09:17 AM.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Thanks Mark - nice job!

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thanks for the glossary post...very helpful. I have a question about terminology for either Gary or Mark.
What is the unit of measurement called for our rads. The RO said I had 7000 ???'s, which was a max life time dose,beyond which irreparable tissue damage begins. I wish I had asked more at the time but I think it was not IMRT because the cancer was poorly differentiated and the saliva glands are now fried.
I'll watch for your post, Thanks, Fran B.

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
Mark Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Fran, The basic unit of radiation absorbed dose is the amount of energy (joules)absorbed per unit mass (kg). This unit, known as the Gray (Gy), has replaced the unit of rad used in the past (100 rads = 1 Gy; 1 rad = 1 cGy).

The amount of radiation absorbed by the tissues is called the radiation dose (or dosage). Before 1985, dose was measured in a unit called a "rad" (radiation absorbed dose). Now the unit is called a gray (abbreviated as Gy). One Gy is equal to 100 rads; one centigray (abbreviated as cGy) is the same as 1 rad.

70Gy or 7000 RAD (7000 cGy)is generally considered to be the "lifetime" dose for head and neck. This may not be exactly true because of advances with IMRT, where retreatment may still be possible.

I think I got that right, Gary might add more or correct me.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thanks Mark for the very good explanation. Much appreciated.
Fran B.

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
Mark Offline OP
OP Offline

Abbreviations and definitions for common terms.

We all use abbreviations here and new-comers sometimes have a hard time understanding them. I

Last edited by Brian Hill; 03-08-2008 06:07 PM.

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

A valient effort, and a posting that should be put in the frequently asked questions. I had to laugh, being an ex-military person at FUBAR, with the substitution of the first word from the more common F word, and the omision of SNAFU which almost always accompanied FUBAR in military jargon... Situation normal, all F*#$%d up.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

NIATC: Now I am totally confused. laugh

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
Mark Offline OP
OP Offline

SNAFU is there and many of us know how to properly pronounce it.

NIATC???....OIC!

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I stand corrected. (ISC) I should have RTFM/list better. We should start our own acronyms, as you can see (AUCS) from my addition here. I vote for GTBOTSOTG (Glad to be on this side of the grass) as the first new bastardization of the King's English that we should add here at OCF. After all, they put the word bling in the dictionary this year, what is becoming of our language!!!

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics