Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Please don't get caught up in the stastics. I did at first, then I spoke with Rods doctor personally by phone. I was surprised he spoke with me considering all the new privacy laws. But anyway, he said there are many things to consider when you look at statistics. Health before tx, age, lifestyle changes (i.e. smoking during tx) other health problems. Its not just black & white. Rod was 37 at the time of diagnosis, healthy otherwise and quit smoking right away so his cancer was stage 4 but that doesn't mean he can't be on the plus side of the statistics. Just stay positive & fight this! The radiation & chemo together can be tough but like I said Rod had a complete response to this treatment.Eat as much as possible now thats really the only problem he is having now...gaining his weight back. Let me know if I can be of anymore help! hugs~Maureen

maureen (friend to Rod SCC tonsil diag. Mar 04 stage 4 -concurrent rad. & chemo) Finished tx July 04
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Tim: If it is any comfort, my brother was advised to have chemo/rad first and surgery only if necessary. Well, there was still a tumor in a lymph node after the radiation & chemo, so he had to have the surgery anyway. So, he had the radiation & chemo in May - June 2003 and the surgery in Sept. 2003 and has been cancer free every since. He was stage IV for tongue cancer and the doctors were not optimistic at the time, but he is living his life fully, enjoying every moment he can with his two adorable granddaughters & his terrific wife. The Rad/chemo first, followed by surgery, was a good choice for him. He was seen at a comprehensive cancer center. Good luck! - Candace

Sister of guy w/base of tongue cancer, Stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03
Zap Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello,

I got a G-Tube put in on Friday so I'm hoping that it will help me keep the food and water intake at a good level.

Candace: Did your brother have to have surgery on his tongue or did he have it on his neck to get at the lymph node?

Thanks,

Tim

Diagnosed 4/27/05: Base of Tongue Cancer Stage III (T2N1M0)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Just touching base to see how the treatment was working out for you.

Are you happy with your decisions to persue radiation / chemo first?

Have you discussed neoadjunctive treatments with your Oncologist?

Keep us posted :-)

- Michael

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users