Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Minick Offline OP
OP Offline

My brother was diagnosed with tongue cancer August 2004. He had surgery in September but the surgeon did not think radiation was necessary since he was so pleased with the surgerey and his reconstruction of the tongue with some grafting technique. Several lymph nodes were removed from his neck. Despite all our urging him to seek a second opinion, my brother is very fearful of hospitals, doctors, and the medical community in general. He is 62 years old and I believe he thinks the doctors are infallible.

Well, in February, a PET scan revealed "hot spots" throughout his body, and so radiation would be necessary. Six weeks. However, when he went to the hospital 18 April to begin the radiation, the tests he took the previous Friday revealed the return of the cancer to his tongue, and elsewhere in his neck. (Forgot to mention, it's Stage IV).

So, instead of the radiation, which he was mentally prepared for (and the feeding tube), the oncologist decided on 5 days of constant, 24/7 of chemo. He had 24 hours each day of Fluorouracil, and when he wasn't receiving that, he had 1 hour of docetaxel, and 4 hours of Cisplatin.

He will have another round of this chemo treatment (again staying in the Hospital for 5 days).

My question is this: Has any member here had such agressive, extensive chemo treatment? I'd like to know that this is not unheard of, and I'd welcome learning that members of this enlightening forum have success stories with similar medical histories.

Also, is it likely my brother will need to undergo the radiation and feeding tube. The doctors say it is still a possiblity--but I'm not sure what will make their decision.

Any insight anyone can give is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Minick,

I have not had the type of chemo drugs your brother will be receiving. I am being treated for a reoccurance in the original surgical bed.
(right tonsil) with mets with multiple nodules in my lungs. This happened last June. I started chemo in late June 04. I had follow up scans in late Dec 04 that showed my lungs as all clear and no change
in the tonsil area. The chemo seems to be holding the beast at bay. I continue this treatment now. two weeks on (every Monday) followed by two weeks off. Receiving Taxol & Carboplatin.
I think the drugs they are suggesting are more toxic than what I'm receiving. That is purly a
speculation on my part. If Gary reads this please respond if you can.

I don't know why they are suggesting a possible feeding tube if he doesn't receive radiation.
If he received radiation he could experience several side effects that may prevent him from eating. Thats when he would need a feeding tube. He has to input enough to heal & maintain his weight. I had one in for 7 months with no problems. Some here went without and did fine. It's a different sceniro for each person. We all react differently to similer treatment.

Wishing your brother my best wishes with as little side effects as possible!! Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
Minick Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Danny, for your response. The feeding tube would be necessary only if they choose to do the radiation--and that would be after the next round of chemo, or possibly after the THIRD round of this 5-day a week 24/7 chemo.

Wishing you the best! Minick

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users