Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Susie Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi there, it's Susie. I just joined your group yesterday and have been doing quite a bit of research to try to help my husband when he starts his radiation in a few weeks. I have read that acupuncture assists salivar flow for patients who have radition damaged salivary glands. I was wondering if anyone has tried this, and if so, their feedback please. If you haven't tried it, perhaps it would be worth giving it a go!
Good luck to everyone. And thanks for replying to my last post.

Hubby (49 years young) was diagnosed with head and neck cancer on 25th February, 2005 secondry in the lymph node. Unable to find primary initially. Underwent radical neck dissection on 22nd March, 2005 removing neck muscle, submandibular salivary gland, jugular vein and 36 lymph nodes.
Cancer was present only in one lymph node. Have since found the primary at the base of his tongue and will undergo radiation in about 2-3 weeks.

Susie
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Ok, I'm probably going to stir up some controversy here, but a while ago back I stumbled on an interesting article about a person from Australia that wound up in Guanzhou, China for head and neck cancer treatment, I think becaue of mets to the brain and the hospital in Guanzhou was able to do Gamma knife therapy, also has some other gene therapy's going on in addition to traditional Chinese medicine.

The doctor at that particular hospital suggested NOT doing acupuncture on cancer patients because it could possibly stimulate the cancer cells.

Since acupuncture is a traditional Chinese treatment, and this is a pretty large cancer center in China, I'll take it that he knows what he's talking about.

You may want to check into that theory though.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.

Hi Susie,
Welcome to the club, I'm sorry you have to be here, but know that you are among friends. My husband Bob is 44yrs old, & has a similar dx to your husband: cancer found June 2004, neck dissection revealed primary source to be at base of tongue, 34 lymph nodes removed with presence of cancer in 2 nodes. He had 35 IMRT treatments from mid Aug-Oct. The radiation made Bob's salivia very thick but didn't stop the salivia flow. For some time he dealt with a very thick mucous that you will read alot about on this site.
In the past I have had accupuncture treatments to aide in recovery from a surgery & am a supporter of "alternative" treatments. I do not know much about accupuncture to combat the effects of radiation. I suggested accupunture to Bob, but he was so tired of being poked & prodded & going to so many dr appointments that for him, he didn't have the energy to see anyone else!

Best of luck in your research. If I could give you one bit of advise....before your husband starts radiation, go out to your favorite restaurants & cook his favorite meals & try to get him to eat as much as he wants while he can still enjoy food!

Good luck & we are here when you need us!

Dx June 18, 2004, neck dissection July 1, 35 radiation txs Aug 18-Oct 7.
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi Susie,

I would like to reiterate what Laurie said...encourage your husband to eat as much as he can the next few weeks. Put on as much weight as possible unless he's already a big guy. I'm sure the doctors have told you, he's going to lose weight while undergoing the radiation. My husband lost 40 lbs and he was not overweight to begin with. Then there's the PEG or not to PEG issue....This forum is great, you will get all of your questions and concerns answered here. Wishing you and your husband all the best.

Take care,

Shelley

Caregiver to husband, Ron. Throat cancer, Stage II. No Chemo or Surgery. Completed 35 Radiation Treatments in November 2004.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Susie; As you have read on these boards there are a lot of folks world wide who share your husband's diagnosis. I found a wealth of information here, only wish I'd started earlier.
Re: acupuncture..my doc has little faith in it. My cancer was poorly differentiated so the rads had to be more diffuse...hence dead saliva glands. If I understand it correctly, they can preserve sailvary function if the "beam" can be more focused. There are also some medications that can be given during TX that preserve saliva glands as well.
Make a nice long list for your doctor's visit..you both deserve every bit of information available.
All the best as you continue your journey together toward recovery.
Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Oh, my! What an interesting thread. The word 'acupuncture' jumped out at me because Tom as encouraged to see an acupuncturist for help in stimulating sleep and appetite! He's been going for about 6 weeks now! We CAN say that since he began, his weight has increased 10 pounds...possibly coincidence. He also sleeps much better - - could also be coincidence since he discovered nasal sprays, Salivart, Biotene, etc. I've just read him this thread, and now we'll have to start researching again...DARN!

Another reason to check in with everyone often! Thanks for the info nugget, dear Hobo!
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello Susie,acupuncture is quite popular here in Hong Kong and my father was also an acupuncturist when alive. However, I don't have much faith in using acupuncture in curing most of the diseases. I agree with Bob that it is not too wise to apply acupuncture while your husband is still in treatment. When it is over, you may like to give it a try when the follow up scan shows no sign of cancer cells. I did receive acupuncture for 6 months on a once-per-week basis to relieve the tingling feelings of my limbs. I felt comfortable during the treatment but after I left the clinic, I didn't feel any improvement.As for improving saliva glands, the acupuncturist told me there was little hope in my case that acupuncture could help. Maybe other people have better response. I always tell people that if the treatment is not costing much, it is worthwhile to give it a try.You may be the lucky one.

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Susie,
By nature I've been know to be something of a pessimist, but I have to share a story with you. My mom had a very aggressive chemo radiotherapy regimen and was producing close to zero saliva. Nothing was helping her. My MD is also a student of chinese medicine and does accupuncture. I told her about my mom's problems and thought what the hell. What have we got to lose? So I took mom in for accupuncture and I kid you not, for the entire 40 mile ride home, mom was producing saliva and spitting. I don't know if it was the accupuncture or mind over matter, but it worked. Having two parents with cancer I was having a real problem not being able to sleep. I was taking pills every night to induce sleep, and on occassion I would also take a couple of drinks. Realizing I shouldn't go on with that lifestyle, I tried accupuncture to see if it would help me sleep. It did. Again, it could be mind over matter, but it seems to be helping. Every now and again I still grab an Ambien or Xanax, but I thought I'd share my story with you. I would absolutely research accupuncture thoroughly to see what others have to say about the possibly of it not being good for cancer pts. I've not heard about that until today, but I too will look into it. One of mom's oncologists, who is also a neurologist, suggested accupuncture to help with neuropathy, a chemo side effect that my mom is dealing with. It's something I have to look into, but I thought it was interesting considering she's a patient at a teaching hospital that does not even consider integrative medicine. I'm sorry that you guys have to go through this. My best to you and your husband. Take care.
D

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.

Hi Susie
My husband tried it for about 6 sessions @ $150.00 a pop. He did not think it helped at all and the saliva it did produce was due more to the candy they give during treatment.

Take Care
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
Susie Offline OP
OP Offline

Wow, you guys, you have all been sooo helpful and wonderful with your info. I will research it further!
*KAREN*, I probably misled you - I was meaning after hubby's treatment is over, we may seek accupuncture if the amnifostine drug doesn't "save" his salivary glands. Previously both hubby and I have tried accupuncture - hubby for his extreme back condition - which he doesn't have any more - only the odd ache, and I also tried it for headaches, with wonderful results. I'm not saying it's a cure for everything, but if we get the all clear when hubby has finished his radiation, we may seek to have this treatment.
Take care and thankyou for taking the time to answer to post.

Susie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37