Next Thread
Print Thread
#38381 04-09-2005 05:09 PM
Susie Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi, it' Susie, from downunder!
My hubby had a radical neck dissection about two and a half weeks ago. They took the neck muscle, the belly of the submandibular salivary gland, his jugular vein and 36 lymph nodes. They managed to preserve the shoulder nerve, but gave it buggery. He is suffering terribly with shoulder pain which is more in his back above his shoulder blade. He was given some anti-inflammatory medication, but it hasn't seemed to settle. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem.
Also he has extreme tightness under his jaw, I guess where they took the salivary gland. Does anyone know whether this will become softer and loosen up.
I would appreciate any info that would help my hubby.
Thankyou

Susie
#38382 04-10-2005 02:10 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Susie, I had the same operation and had a lot of muscle problems the same as you are describing. Very gentle massage daily helps quite a bit. Also physical therapy usually helps. The good news is that over time it gets better.

Take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#38383 04-11-2005 04:08 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Susie; My extended radical neck was done two months ago. They started me on physio after four weeks which was very helpful, but things are still tight because of the edema where they took the salivary gland.That is slowly lessening. My operation was done post rads and there is a fibrosis situation which may not factor in your husbands' case?? The shoulder and upper back are always sore by the end of the day, even though I do all the exercises etc. and they had to cut the spinal accessory nerve as well. They assure me things will ease off and loosen with time. Now all we need is some time right!
Driving the car is a goal I have achieved, but it's still pretty hard to crank that stiff old neck around.
All the best,
Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
#38384 04-11-2005 07:16 PM
Susie Offline OP
OP Offline

MARK
Hi Mark, thankyou for your reply. I'm glad to hear it does get better as he was in excrutiating pain....I felt so sorry for him. But since my post, it has eased a little. I've been massaging gently now that he can bear that (which he couldn't earlier) and it seems to have helped. Thankyou Mark, and good health to you.

FRAN,
Hi Fran
Yes, time is the essence here isn't it. The pain has eased a little, so we are thankful for that. He has also managed excercising, and before radiation starts, we will get some physio therapy on it. We are going to try swimming too at the hydrotherapy pool, so he can at least be more loose or fit before the next stage!!
It's a complete new way of life, isn't it. But I guess we'll get used to it.
Good luck Fran, and thankyou.

Susie

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37