Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38342 03-23-2005 11:07 PM
OP Offline

Hello everyone: I havent been in touch for a while. But I want to share this with everyone suffering with neck swelling and the unending mucus from radiation. My husband Joe was diagnosed with throaat cancer April 2004. He had surgery to remove his epiglottis and some lympnodes. He had his 35 radiation treatments. He was suffering with the unending and very scary mucus and mucus plugs which was cutting off his air supply. He was admitted to the hospital 2 weeks ago because he had a lot of swelling and a plug that just wouldn't move. We asked the Dr. for some type of breathing therapy. He spent 2 days in the hospital with steroids given for the swelling and a inhalation therapy called mucomist. This has been a godsend for him. What he has at home is acetylcysteine solution 2.5 ml. and albuteral .5 ml. and 2.5 ml saline soluton. You would have to ask your dr. about it. It has been such a help. He was suffering since September with the aftereffects of his radiation but this has been a real help. Just wanted to share this with everyone having the same problems. Hope this will help. Roseanne

Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi Roseanne,

This mucomist inhalation therapy you mentioned, does your husband use it at night? Would you explain more on how he uses it? My husband is having problems breathing at night. It seems like he will stop breathing for awhile and then take big gasps of air. I'm wondering if this mucomist will help him? If you wouldn't mind giving a little more detail about it, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks much,

Shelley

Caregiver to husband, Ron. Throat cancer, Stage II. No Chemo or Surgery. Completed 35 Radiation Treatments in November 2004.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Rosie & Joe:
I have to sleep sitting up, due to this problem and I still have my epiglotis, but it is damaged and I am dysphagic.
I too would like to know more...
I have taken various expectorants to thin the mucous but they are difficult to find in stock, even in the big chain stores. I am going to the ENT clinic (VA) tomorrow for my monthly checkup.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I don't know if what I'm doing is the same as Roseanne's husband but I've been using a nebulizer twice a day with prescriptions for acetylcysteine and xopenex. This was prescribed about 2 weeks after I had surgery. Inititally I was using it 3 times a day but now, because of work, I use it in the morning and at night. I still have problems with phlem (or "rubber cement" as I like to call it!) but would hate to think what it might be like if I wasn't having these treatments. Just my 2 cents worth ....

Hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics