Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38283 03-07-2005 02:59 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Part of what is making my treatment so ugly at the moment is that not only am I doing daily radiation and weekly chemo, but I agreed to take part of the Iressa study. Every day like clockwork, I take my Iressa. When agreeing to this study, they informed me that the side effects were adult acne and loose stools. The loose stools weren't an issue once I began the heavy pain meds (in fact, I have the opposite problem now) but the acne has taken over. I've got large scabby areas all over the back of my neck and shoulders and all over the skin of my chin and throat. I'm like a big bleeding scab that won't heal.

The doctors however, are excited by this. It seems that Iressa patients that do get this sort of horrendous acne reaction to their skin have the highest success rates of cure. It's making me miserable though. My greatest relief is getting in the shower and letting warm water run over my skin.

Two weeks ago, my fingers started splitting apart. large cracks in each fingertip and sores all over my hands and feet. Again, the doctors are excited about this. My husband and I finally found some relief for my hands by getting some "Nexcare for skin cracks" which is like a liquid bandaid. He'd paint my fingertips and finger sores just so I'd be able to wash my hands. All the nurses kept asking me if I had shingles or something. This was about the time my neck started breaking out violently.

All of this... the neck, chin, throat scabs and the finger cracking is due to the Iressa. I was wondering if anybody here had a similar reaction to it. They want me to continue on with this even though it's making me miserable. (hey, it's hard to sleep when the pillowcase is sticking to your neck and you have to pull your hair out of the muck in the morning)

Is there any lotion or skin ointment that can solve some of this burning pain from the acne? So far all I got is over the counter cortizone cream the doctor recommended to keep me from scratching it.

Thanks.. I got one more week of rad and chemo to get through... then on to the neck dissection

#38284 03-07-2005 12:45 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I can't offer you relief but I can share my experience with Iressa.
I too agreed to the Iressa trial, and the acne started around the second week. From what it sounds like, mine didn't get quite as bad as yours, but my doctors were excited too. The acne slowly cleared up after about a month, and the only side effect I seem to have now is a short bout of diarhea every 10 days or so.
I've been on it for 14 months now, and will be on it until December. So far so good.

I had some problems with my hands and feet, but was told that was due to the Chemo. I was on a 24 hour a day drip of 5FU, and twice daily Hydrea. They said the "hand and foot Syndrome" was due to the 5fu. I don't know if it was made worse by the Iressa, but it didn't clear up until weeks after the Chemo ended.
Really sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. I hope it will turn the corner for you soon.
Best wishes for the coming weeks,

Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
#38285 03-08-2005 06:51 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi there,

I had an unpleasant experience with Irresa myself. I was taken off of it due to the acne. It got so bad I couldn

SCC 1.6cm Right Tonsil 10/3/03, 1 Node 3cm, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Wks Induction Chemo (Taxol,Cisplatin), 8 Weeks Chemo/Radiation (5FU,Hydroxyurea,Iressa), IMRT x 40, Treatment Complete 2/13/04.
41 Years Old At Diagnosis
#38286 03-08-2005 12:16 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Here's the official scoop on Iressa:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/druginfo/iressa.htm

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/2004/new01145.html

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/05/slides/2005-4095S2_01_03_AstraZeneca-Clinical-Relevance.ppt

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/05/briefing/2005-4095B2_01_01-AstraZeneca-Iressa.pdf

Please note that Iressa is indicated for non small oat cell lung cancer. It's application for H&N patients is investigational and "off-label".

In some instances the patients had a slightly better survival rate with the placebo.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#38287 03-09-2005 07:11 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

oh you have my sympathies!
it sounds miserable. I don't have any experience with Iressa but with if this might help...

Don't know if these products would be approppriate, but during radiation i first used off the shelf 100% aloe vera gel. It seemed to sooth the skin, but wasn't what I would call strong. Then I was given a tube of "RadiaGel" to apply to my sore skin. Its made by Carrington and is described as hydrogel wound dressing, a non-oily formulation for the radiation patient. Formulated for the management of radiation dermatitis and relief of pain." I liked it (I think its by prescription)

Also, for other skin itches/rash I've been given cortisone/hydrocortosone pills or injections, which have always helped.
good luck!
michelle

History of leukoplakia <2001-2004. SCC lateral tongue 9/03; left radical neck dissection & hemiglosectomy 10/03, T2-3,N0M0; 28 IMRT radiation completed 12/03. 30 HBO dives Oct-Nov 04 for infections and bone necrosis -mandible.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics