Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Sorry to hear about this recurrence. I've got a spot on my tongue and go in to the docs next week, so I'm concerned too about recurrence.

In October '03 I had a hemiglossectomy and a radical neck dissection (left side). I had a 10 day hospital stay, 1-2 days in ICU. I had a tracheotomy and did no talking for a week, then slowly learned to speak (saying only a few words)with the trach tube for a few days before having it removed. I used a clipboard and scrap paper to communicate - the wipe board also is a good idea. My husband brought in his laptop computer so I sent a few e-mails to family away from the area, which was nice to do.

I was not allowed to eat or drink any fluids while in the hospital, but I think that was because of the tongue surgery, not the neck dissection.

For me, the troubles associated with the loss of tongue, and later radiation, were worse than the neck dissection area. In the hospital I had enough pain meds so it didn't hurt, but there is loss of mobility for a while and the numbness from my ear to shoulder still exists but continues to diminish with time. I didn't drive a car for about a month after surgery because I couldn't move my neck well enough. Although not on my writing side I did not have any pain or movement trouble below the shoulder area; but I couldn't sleep on that side for a while.

You didn't say where the recuurence is - in lymph nodes/neck?

I'm cheering for you - have strength!
michelle

History of leukoplakia <2001-2004. SCC lateral tongue 9/03; left radical neck dissection & hemiglosectomy 10/03, T2-3,N0M0; 28 IMRT radiation completed 12/03. 30 HBO dives Oct-Nov 04 for infections and bone necrosis -mandible.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Fran,

I've been trying to find my previous post on this subject with no success so I'll see what I can remember. I've had two neck dissections, 4 years apart. The second was done on eradiated skin but it had had 4 years to heal. You want the surgeon that is doing this to have done a zillion of them and be the best plastic surgeon about. All those little stiches underneath are what makes for a good result. You want stitches, not clamps in the neck. I told me surgeon that 'I didn't do scars' and my surgeon did a marvelous job. I used Biafine cream on the scar for healing and also massage. Your PT can help you with that.

Do not let them take your submandible saliva glands unless they feel it is absolutely necessary because they are cancerous. We don't need our mouths any drier than they already are.

After the surgery, usually the next day, they will have you up walking. Support you arm lightly with your other hand under the elbow so you do not produce any drag on the bad shoulder. It also needs support in bed depending on how you lie. I had a stuffed bear my niece gave me that goes through all my surguries and is just the right size for resting my arm on. Once home make certain you still have a pillow to rest arm on whne sitting on sofa or that the chair you are sitting in has arms. If you start feeling any drag on shoulder while walking, support the arm. These problems go away after a few weeks of PT and you start getting your strength back. And of course it depends just what muscle if any they have to cut. They didn't have to cut any on me.

You are not supposed to lift anythin heavier than 1 lb for several weeks and don't do it or you may do permanent damage. You need to get hubby and kids to carry in the groceries and get their own laundry to the laundry room.

Both of my operations were relatively pain free and was out of the hospital in 5 days. Operation is quite long so make certain you are in a comfortable position on operating table. While you will look like you have been through the guillotine when you come out of OR, most of us have very little in the way of scars.

That's all I can think of for now. Will be thinking of you on the 5th. Speedy recovery.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Fran,

Of all the treatments I've had, Surgery, radiation and chemo the neck disection was the least painful after one or two days.

I also have experienced a reoccurance in June of 04. Thats when I started chemo. one day a week for three weeks followed by one week off. I had scans in Dec 04 and the cancer didn't show up in the lungs at all. This after scans in June 04 showed multiple areas of concern in the lungs. The cancer in the original area (tonsil) was termed stable. It's a new life after this experience. The biggest challange is adapting to it.

I hope your treatment is successful and you have a quick recovery. You can win this battle. Were all here pulling for you. Please keep us posted and good luck on the 5th.

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Fran,

Over last 14 years, I have experienced surgery for oral cancer, open heart surgery and again surgery for oral cancer. The 2nd round - the seriousness was definitley elevated. If there are any tips I would offer, it's choosing comprehensive cancer treatment and equally as important having a strong support system (family, friends, church) - whatever it takes- humor or otherwise to fulfill your needs and build your strength to support this pending surgery with as much optimism as you can muster through all the above avenues. Prior to my most recent surgery, I realized the seriousness of my situation, but with the support of family, friends, church, prayer, letters, cards, medals, oils - a never ending list of thoughtfulness - began to build my foundation of strength to remain a survivor and to once again say opening "I'm back."
I may have missed previous postings - but assume you're having your surgery at a comprehensive cancer treatment center. I owe a great deal to the medical staff that performed my surgery and plastic surgery - they literally saved my life.
Finally, if you do have pain, allow the medical arena to manage it - I was not an advocate of taking morphine - but my wife insisted I allow myself to take what was necessary to minimize the pain - it definitely helped my healing process - although my memory of the days immediately post surgery are relatively "dull."
Hopefully, I can introduce a tad of humor at this time. I have a confession - as was, is and always will be, my wife is the pillar of my life and world. I could have continued, but Wendy, my wife is now spewing water over the keyboard like the Niagara River - my confession - she participates a million percent in every aspect of my life including the typing of this reply as my typing skills "stink."
We both wish you the best and will keep you in our prayers.
Ron

Ron Miller
Fran B. Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

You wonderful people talk like you expect FULL recovery from me! How perfectly uplifting that is.
They did all the pre-op stuff today, so I can kick up my heels until Wed the 2nd.
I really appreciate the hints re communicating and shoulder support plus hints for the plastic surgeon who always works alongside my ENT guy they tell me. My surgery is on the right side, but I'm left handed, that's a small bonus.
I am still concerned about mouth care. Did it pose a problem for anyone?
Sounds like this next challenge is doable...I think I can ..I think I can.
Chugging along here in the cold cold north.
Blessings, Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Fran,

I hear your concern with mouth care. My teeth are doing fine after 6 surgeries, 3 requiring hospitalization. It's OK if you miss a few days of fluoride, brushing and flossing... at least, I can say that I'm doing fine and I've missed more that a few days along the way. You might want to take a bottle of Biotene mouthwash into recovery. A swish or two might feel pretty good, and an antibacterial rinse couldn't hurt.

Ken

SCCA T2N1M0 diagnosed 11/02, radical neck dissection, 7 weeks radiation, 6 surgeries to deal with osteonecrosis, 10 weeks hyperbaric oxygen. "Live strong. Laugh often."
Fran B. Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thanks Ken, my husband will have a travelling pack of the mouthwash and the oral balance gel for my use post op as required.
Part of my prep for this surgery is obsessing about some small things...controlling what I can, turning the rest over to the creator.
Amen, and thanks for all the positive support.
Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37