Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#37659 07-16-2004 02:17 PM
sll Offline

i am new to responding however, i feel this should be also stated, my husband completed his treatments and was well on his way but at dana farber stage 4 treatment is always followed with neck surg. to be on the safe side, he had cat and pet scans and he said if they looked good he wanted to not have surg. that did not fly with his team however, and off he went the neck surg. was nothing for him after all he had been through and it turned out they did take out the muscle and 40 some nodes and did find some of the cursed cells but they removed it... without surg. and the insistent team we would have gone on hoping for the best... please don't take this and feel badly i would have not wanted to have the surg. either but what if we hadn't ... that was two weeks and 45 staples ago and he is fine again fighting back ... if only we could go out and have dinner without such a hard time , but this will come...

be happy - and insist on tests -

s.l.
#37660 07-16-2004 03:49 PM
Leena Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Brian,
I did have a CT scan after my surgery, before the radiation started (end of April), which I suppose would be the starting scan. I will be seeing the ENT for the visual and palpitation exam monthly for the first year. I will discuss the matter with him again on my next visit.

I am also seeing the radiation oncologist in August for a check-up, I am not sure what it will consist of.

Thank you, Brian. I am having a hard remembering not to be a nice polite patient, and questioning everything instead.

SLL, I hope things will be looking up for you,

Leena

scc right tonsil T1N1M0, right tonsillectomy + modified neck dissection 3/04, radiation IMRT both sides X33 ended 6/04.
Also had renal cell carcinoma, left kidney removed 11/04
#37661 07-19-2004 06:09 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

So Brian, where were you when we were going at it in "George Harrison and my neck"? smile

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#37662 07-20-2004 04:09 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Did I miss something good? I'll have to re read that thread. Actually to those who have noticed my partial absence from the boards, it has been from a little guided tour of the surgery unit at MDACC to have something taken out that didn't look good. I won't elaborate; it is neither important nor interesting. And most importantly I am still on this side of the grass, though a little beat up by the experience. While I always share my experiences in detail in hopes that others will learn from them, there is nothing to learn from this last one. I am sometimes reluctant to post things that may indicate that I have had a bad prognosis or something else until I know the actual facts. I didn't realize how much my personal health, or lack of good health, impacted the individual fears and anxieties of those that come to read this board until I got a few emails, that revealed that anomaly to me. Not that I am anyone particularly special, but as a figurehead of survivorship in all this, I didn

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users