Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#37536 06-22-2004 10:54 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Kimberly, I am not a trained medical expert but it seems to me that there are possibly 3 or 4 words that she might have heard and perhaps mixed up or shuffled together.

Neck Dissection or Radical Neck Dissection or some doctors use the word Resection instead of Dissection,
which could result in an ear to ear incision, it is done to allow surgical access to lymph nodes for removal. If they cut ear to ear it seems to me they likely would remove more than 4 nodes. While this surgery sounds bad, (and sometimes looks bad) recovery is usually pretty quick. This is a common procedure in oral cancer treatment.

Glossectomy or Partial Glossectomy,
surgical removal of part or all of the tongue. since it sounds like his cancer was tongue, he may have had a partial glossectomy. The larger the cancer, the greater the portion of tongue might be removed.

Tracheostomy,
Surgery to create a small hole in the throat to allow for breathing if his surgery was more complex. This is usually temporary and will be allowed to heal up.

You can find a lot more information here in the main OCF web site by clicking on the HOME PAGE button at the bottom of this page.

I hope this helps you.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#37537 06-23-2004 05:43 AM
Kaber Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Thanks, Mark. I will se if I can copy some info for her. She is a little more open to getting some info now, but she won't go out and look for it herself yet. I guess that's good, it is progress..

Kimberly -friend to paitent
mom to 3 boys
#37538 08-23-2004 02:57 PM

Kimberly,

It sounds like your friend is so overwhelmed that she in not processing the information that the dr is telling her. My parents experience this with my sister. I always go along to add an extra pair of ears. I will take notes while my parents respond to the info that the dr gives. Sometimes they are so emotional that they cannot remember important info. Maybe you could offer to go along to take notes or make suggest that they invite another family member along to take notes.

This was so helpful in my sister's situation. At one point a Petscan was supposed to be scheduled for the next day. They never took her to get the scans though. My mom and dad were dealing with heavy emotional issues and didn't remember that my sister was supposed to get a petscan. If I hadn't looked over the notes and asked about it, there is a chance that she may not have been able to get a scan (b/c of insurance of outpatient care).

My sister also had her nodes removed in her neck and they did make an incision from behind one ear to the other. She did have a trach for about 23 days.

Sister of Kim, a 24 year old cancer fighter diagnosed on 12/5/04, who fought strong and hard and died with dignity and honor on 1/3/05.
#37539 08-28-2004 06:02 AM

Hi,
I had a modified radical node dissection they took out 28 nodes. It left a lot of scarring but it is commonly done to check if nodes are cancerous. I'm glad I had it done, the nodes were clear. If they weren't clear I would have had radiation and or chemo and at least known of the cancer. A must!

T1N0M0 squamous cell carcinoma treated with hemi-glossectomy and tongue reconstruction with a radial forearm flap 3/04
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users