Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

just finished 25 radiation treatments, 9 to go & had last of 5 out of 6 cisplatin. still very sick all the time & finally officially vomitted last night for the first time, yay! not much fun! I'm really down mentally 'cause i'm out of control here. can't eat for fear of nauseau, but know I need the nutrition. on ativan, etc. not much help.

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Erik, I've just finished 29 radiation and 6 more to go, and 3 chemo... I had a rough time on my 2nd chemo because I didn't take my meds right. I take Zofran every 12 hours for 2days after and also Stemetil every 6 hours when I'm awake and Dexamethazone every morning.. This seemed to work really well..I've been on Boost meal replacement drinks for 2 weeks..and that working too. Just a couple of weeks more for both of us. Keep up the faith. Time is on our side, Yes it is!! Tom Roussell

SCC Tonsil Rt T3 N2b M0 side DX Jan 04 Tx 36 Rad 3 cisplatin Tx ending May 04. partial neck dissection july 04..... July 15,08 mets to liver Age 57...Did Methotrexate Sept 08. Now on a trial drug Panitumumab, Feb4,09 treatments stopped. going to Tibetan Medicine.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Erik,
I did not have nausea from the radiation. I didn't get chemo.

You are in the "grind" right now, try to pace yourself. For me it did not get worse from this point in treatment. Get out and walk (slowly) and think about new life, it is just around the corner! Hang in there!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Erikj,

You are almost home free dude. You wont feel any worse. But remember, if you dehydrate you will. Drink water, drink water, drink water. As much as you can stand. Also try to neck down an Ensure or two every day. I lived on hydration iv's (up to 3 bags a day), Ensure (2-4 a day), oatmeal (1 bowl a day), and chicken soup (1 bowl a day) for two months. I never got sick but sure felt like it a lot.
It's the Chemo man. Its rough shit.

As I said before its almost over. Mentally you will feel better as soon as it's over, give it about 3 weeks physically. At least thats what I went through.

Fight Fight Fight.

Robert Hamilton

SCC Right Tonsil 9/3/03, 1 Node, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Weeks Induction Chemo, 4 Weeks Chemo/Rad, Treatment Complete 2/13/04. ITS GREAT TO BE ALIVE!!
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

SCC 1.6cm Right Tonsil 10/3/03, 1 Node 3cm, T1N2AM0, Tonsil Removed, Selective Neck Disection, 4 Wks Induction Chemo (Taxol,Cisplatin), 8 Weeks Chemo/Radiation (5FU,Hydroxyurea,Iressa), IMRT x 40, Treatment Complete 2/13/04.
41 Years Old At Diagnosis
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Erik,

It's the chemo making you so sick. It's poison they are pumping into you. I was very proactive about my anti-nausea medication. Zofran worked for me as well as Deximethazone. I used Compazine too. I started taking the first pill just hours after chemo finished and kept taking them for three days after. It really helped me.

You're almost done now. You can do it!!!

Lynn

Stage 3, N0, M0 oral tongue cancer survivor, 85-90% of tongue removed, neck disection, left tonsil removed, chemo/radiation treatments, surgery 11/03, raditation ended 1/04, lung mets discovered 4/04,
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Erik, I agree with others that it is probably the chemo that made you vomit. Did the nurse give you an injection against nausea before the treatment and did the doctor prescribe the anti-nausea medicine for you to take before meals? I was given both and still I vomited twice throughout the entire treatment. Not too bad already compared with other patients. The nausea was something very very uncomfortable. I say it is the effect of chemo rather than radiation because the nausea usually appeared after chemo and the two or three days that followed and then I had a few days of easier life and the cycle repeated when I had chemo again.Nausea will not stay long and in my case, it went away in 2 weeks post treatment. Then my appetite returned and was back to normal nutrition.

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Erik,

I hate to sound like the odd man out, but, I was nauseas AND vomitted throughout every day during the chemo and radiation. It started when the hooked up the 5FU the second day of chemo and I believe it ended something like 9 weeks later (or beyond). I remember the room spinning between the calls to my pharmacist dad asking him what else he suggested I ask the doctors for. We tried them all and nothing ever changed. A friend gave me pot and it helped in a matter of seconds but I can't recommend breaking the law and using something that is a potential carcinagen as well. When I had the ethyol shot to help protect the salivary glands, it made me even sicker and pot was the only thing that helped me from barfing up my intestines. I even had a bucket I carried to daily radiation and everyone was beginning to giggle as soon as I walked in, wondering when I would dash the restroom the first time. I had to remind the radiation techs to be sure and turn the volume up in the room so they could hear me gurgle so I wouldn't choke on my own vomit. It was very humorous to everyone...except me. My wife was just hysterical the other day, reminding me how "cute" I was on all fours praying to the throne in the "reading room".

Hang in there, for some it is worse, but it always passes. You are almost home...

If you have a mediport or central access line, daily fluid is not bad and be sure they monitor your creatinine. Vomitting will surely dehydrate you and that only makes the chemo much harder to tolerate. Like Robert, I had 3 bags of fluid a day from week 3 until 2 weeks post treatment. After returning to work, I had two bags at night for 3 months. If you have blood pressure checking capabilities, check it sitting and standing. Ideally, it should be the same but a wide spread is a quick indication of dehydration. The body is 60%-80% fluid, depending on the part(s) and dehydration will exacerbate mucositis, stomatitis, digestive issues, sores, dry mouth, etc.

I, too, was mentally down during all this and until I got the rest of the family on anti-depressants, it was almost intolerable! laugh I still remember talking with an oncology psychiatrist and she asked me if I needed anything for depression and I told her to give me a few weeks to see how the rest of the family responded to their scripts!

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023

Erik ..My husband had what they referred to as intractable nausea....God he was sick , his best relief came from suppositories that were specially compounded at the pharmacy. Miracle bullets they were..knock you out but who cares. Ask for them if nausea is unbearable.
Best wishes
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics