Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
abs Offline OP
OP Offline

My 47 yo brother had a radical neck disection 10 days ago. He was just moved to a step down facility. Everyone says he is doing terrific.
He is getting better every day. He has a peg tube and a trach. He still has his vocal cords...
and they didn't have to do any skin grafts.

He will be doing radiation therapy for 6 weeks...which hasn't begun yet.

Initially the Dr. said he would be off work for a month. Is this realistic? I can't seem him returing to work in two weeks.
BTW his work is not very physical.

Can he work while getting radiation tx's.

Thanks!

Angie

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Angie, everyone is different. Some here have worked all through the radiation, but I think most have not. I remember being very tired towards the end of treatment and doubt that if I had a job, that I would have been able to put in very many hours. I would guess that what the doctor told him is a bit unrealistic, but you never know -- your brother may be one of the ones who surprises everyone. It is good to hear that he is doing so well. You come back any time with qustions, and there will undoubtedly be someone here with an answer.

abs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Joanna!
This came on so sudden...and we are learning as we are going.
2 medical drs. told him he had thrush -1 over a year ago!-and it was just when he went to the dentist to get his teeth pulled because he was in so much pain...that we found out it could be cancer.
He just started a temp to hire job (had been there 6 weeks as temp and they just hired him) and found out about the cancer. They are going to "try" and hold his job...but no promises. I just want to give him something to look forward to...I would hate for him to loose his job, it's a great job, and they are few and far between.
I have been calling and leaving messages for his boss as to his progress...so I am trying to keep the lines of communication open.

He also doesn't have health insurance....so that has been another experience altogehter.

It does seem as if he is progressing well...but we will just have to see.

Thanks so much for responding!!!!

I hope you are well.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Angie,

I was a Chief Financial Officer and I worked up to the 7th week of 9 weeks of radiation and 3 rounds of chemo 3 weeks apart. I had a lot of accounting and computer work plus I was directing a consultant on setting up some product costing for a process manufacturer. Our company processed a million pounds of catfish a week! I lost touch with reality because of the "chemo brain" as the nurse called it just between the second and third round of chemo. I did manage to close the books, review financials and have daily conference calls with the Board of Directors until about the end of treatment, Oct 8 and I went in to work after two weeks, Oct 22. I worked about 400 miles from home so I spent the entire week in a hotel and a lake front house of one of the owners. I worked for about 8 weeks and the owners started fighting with each other and it looked like the company was going under so I took disability January 11. Initially I drove the 400 miles the first couple of weeks so I could take an inhalation therapy machine, a cooler full of TPN bags for IV feeding and enough fluids to give myself 2-3 liters per day. I did it mainly because they were grumbling about cutting my pay in half and I needed the money to pay the $10,000 in medical bills.

It can be done but you have to have the resolve to make it happen and I personally don't think it was good to have to push that hard so soon.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023

Oops I forgot to mention I had radiation and chemo but no neck dissection.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Angie,
Welcome! My hubby had a radical neck dissection Christmas eve and started chemo/rad on January 12. He ended up having 8 weeks of chemo/rad. He worked a little the first couple of weeks, but could not have worked after half way and he is still recuperating now. He had max rad to tongue, throat and both sides of neck and med. chemo (4 hr. treatment every Monday). I guess it all depends on how much radiation he is getting. My prayers will be with you guys.
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Angie, I agree with other posters that don't push hard on when a patient can resume work. How long? There are many variables such as the duration/intensity of treatment, the types of jobs, the patient's willpower,.. and many more. I work as a senior administrator in a secondary school and my career has always been very important to me. I pushed myself very hard in the hope that I could go back to work 2 months after treatment. Unrealistic since my chemo and radiation had been very intensive. Every time I attended my medical appointment, I had to extend my sick leave. I felt so depressed when I had no idea when I could return work. Gradually, I couldn't sleep at night, I lost interest in everything around, I lost my appetite, I lost hope in my life. My attitude became so negative that finally I ended up in the hospital suffering from a severe depression. To cut the long story short, I was back to full time work 7 months post treatment. Be patient.

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Angie, I would be one of those that returned to work 2 weeks after the Neck Dissection. And I worked weekends all through my Radiation Treatments. I was a Hair Stylist at that time, actually I still do it a few hours a week. I thought it would be a great way to exercise my Arm, Neck and Shoulder and nothing my Surgeon said or for that matter anyone said could change my mind. I spent many hours in pain because I was so BULL HEADED(being polite). I was very tired from the Radiation and doing a haircut took a lot of time and energy. Massage helped a great deal to get things feeling better again and lots of Tylenol. I guess what I am saying is tell your brother to take it slow. Do what he can and ask for help with what he can't do. His new Boss can't be that unfeeling (I hope)that he would not understand that your brother is giving the company his best considering the circumstances.
David

Angie:We are all different. I worked through all 7 weeks of my rad with 3 chemo treatments but needed 2 weeks off after treatment due to anemia and 25% weight loss. Just finished my neck dissection with upwards of 35 nodules removed and some other "suspicious" tissue and came home the day after surgery and have been working since then. I'm an outside salesman and talking can be a bear, but I use computer/fax a lot, also. Hope your brother? is good.Rgds, Kirk.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Angie, I did the surgery/rad/chemo trip twice, each time was different. No PEG tube either time. First time was 1/6 of tongue/neck dissection followed by rad/chemo to tongue and neck. Finished up on Thanksgiving, didn't go back to work until second week in Jan. Because rad treatments were twice a day and a long trip away, didn't work any of the time. Might have been able to work the first 3 weeks first time around. Last week of treatment wound back in hospital to get fed by IV, hurt way too much to eat orally.

Second time was to get spread to other side of neck and lymph nodes. Again modified neck dissection, followed by rad/chemo to neck only. Was fully ambulatory following surgery, actually worked half day the day I got out of the hospital. Again logistics prevailed, but probably could have worked up unil the second to last week or rad, just too tired. Went back to work 2 weeks after completing rad the second time around, got chewed out from docs for going back to work so soon. Main issue second time was dry mouth, sore throat the last couple of weeks, some radiation hit the trachea.

Sounds like your brother's surgery was more extensive than mine, I'd say a month could be pushing it, depends on how good health he is in otherwise, and how stubborn he is to get back to work. As far as working during rad, everyone reacts different it seems. Again depends on how stubborn your brother is. Attitude seems to be more than half the game.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users