Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#37232 04-28-2004 03:35 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I had the salt and peroxide recipes, too, but were scared to use them. The salt recipe said to skip that if I had burning. I suppose it's still worth trying at least once.

On the peroxide, I have a gross background story (sorry). Last summer I had blood under my big toe nail. The doctor removed half the nail where the blood was to check for cancer. It came back clean, but I asked about putting on peroxide. He was emphatic that I not do this. He said peroxide was an irritant, like alcohol w/o the major pain, and would slow the healing process. I applied this logic to my mouth, but maybe the mouth is different?

My poor doctors don't know what's about to hit them. You guys have armed me with some great questions on the different discussion boards. They may not thank you, but I certainly do!!!

Sabrina

#37233 04-28-2004 03:41 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sabrina, I found that all my docs were very happy that I knew as much as I did. I was told again and again that it made their jobs easier to treat a well-informed patient. Also, knowing pretty much what to expect made it easier for me. You are going to be just fine!

#37234 04-29-2004 04:06 AM

You may want to contact your local cancer center for nutrition advice. We had one come in the first week of treatment but with my research, I found easier and cheaper ways to produce much more nutrition. YOu may want to look at my post in Currently In Treatment section -- I wrote about the items I found to use to create his own nutrition. First, you need to determine exactly what nutrition is needed (high protein, carbs, etc). My husband needs both high protein and carbohydrates, plus general nutrition such as vegetables and fruits. Once I knew that (he has a PEG tube), I spent a couple of hours in the grocery store and health food store determining what items were blendable to liquid form and what provided the most of these nutrients for the money. Generally, my recipe is protein powder (from health food store; based on soy protein - you can buy similar at Walmart where the Slim Fast, etc are located), baby food vegetables and fruits, olive oil, Karo syrup (high carbs), milk, yogurt, peanut butter, tuna fish. When you look at the amount of Ensure/Boost, etc. that is needed to get the daily nutrients, it is both cost- and quantity-prohibitive. These shakes I make myself are much less expensive and provide about 4 times the amount of nutrients in a day than the recommended amount from Boost, etc. Now, of course, if a PEG tube is not used, you would consider flavor more than I have to, so keep that in mind. I just would suggest going to the grocery store and writing down what provides X grams of each needed nutrient, the cost, and figure what works best. If you do not have a local cancer center, contact your oncologist, radiologist, whoever and ask them who to talk to -- they surely will know. Good luck.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users