Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#35240 06-10-2007 03:52 PM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

JulieKay
Tuff decisions, only you 2 can make. Cancer battles are fought in many different ways, You both are very brave. Good Luck

Tongue Cancer, stage 4, spread to neck/ Radical neck, 3 chemos, 33 radiation. 5-18-2005
#35241 07-29-2007 06:57 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Thought I would post an update on Rich. The hospice nurse is coming out once a week. He is using more medication to control his pain, but is alert and still able to do as he wishes. He is recieving MS contin 30mg twice a day and Roxanol 10 mg as needed every 2-4 hours plus neurontine for nerve pain and lidocine gel for the mouth ulcer. He is more irritable and has constipation and sometimes I have problems not taking what he says to heart. From what I have read here about others battles with this disease I really fear for the future but am glad we decided on no treatment other than comfort measure.

#35242 07-29-2007 10:58 AM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

DEar Julie, Hope having the Hospice nurse come in only once a week is enough for you. Are you getting rest yourself? Is Rich able to do all of his meds, etc. on his own or are you responsible for that? He is likely to get more difficult to deal with if the pain meds. are increased. His chosen path is not an easy one, but I am just as concerned about you. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#35243 07-29-2007 02:25 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Julie, I work in hospice and we also have volunteers for family respite, spiritual counselors, and social workers who come to the home along with the nurse. The philosophy is to treat the needs of the entire family so please make sure you are taking care of yourself too. Amy has been there.

The medication he is on is pretty standard and will be increased as needed. If he is having problems with constipation let them know that and get suggestions. It's a side effect of the pain meds so they're used to dealing with it.
Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
#35244 07-30-2007 02:24 AM
OP Offline

At this point once a week visits from the nurse is all Rich will accept. We have had 3 years of his disablity so we are pretty use to handling his personal care. I'm also a nurse so he thinks I can handle everything. I set up his meds once a week though he keeps his pain meds at his bedside. I believe this helps him feel more in control and that is imporant. He is still very much alert and orientated so I have no problems leaving him by himself so I can get out. I know things will probably get much worse but right now it ain't bad.

#35245 07-30-2007 12:27 PM
JAM Offline

Dear Julie, Glad to hear you are a nurse-nurses know how important it is to take care of themselves too- right? :rolleyes: {I'm grinning, as my daughter and DIL are both nurses] Please know that we are here should the "nurse" hat come off and Julie just wants to talk. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#35246 07-30-2007 02:07 PM

Hi Julie, as one nurse to another - it's tough to be a caregiver when the patient is someone you love. I found that everyone assumed I already knew everything and/or would just handle all the care whether I was familiar with it or not. First and foremost you are Rich's wife and you have your own feelings to deal with about what is happening. On the other hand, you do have the background to ask questions and get your the information you need.

Many, many people reminded to take care of myself and one day I finally decided to listen. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help or if you just want to vent.

If Rich will only accept weekly visits that makes sense. I think you're right about giving him as much control for as long as possible and taking your cues from how the situation is going. Hospice is there to support, not to take over your lives.

Do you have a good support network? Glad to hear that you're able to get out a little bit.
Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
#35247 07-30-2007 04:59 PM
OP Offline

Oh gosh you are so right about it being tougher when it is someone you love, and people just assuming you know what is going on. I am now reluctant to tell doctors and others that I am a nurse. I worked for 18 years in a nursing home. The only cancer I have dealt with was in the final stages. Also Rich responds so differntly when another nurse tells him something than when I tell him the same thing. With me I'm just his wife telling him and when another nurse tells him then he listens

#35248 07-31-2007 01:11 PM
JAM Offline

Dear Julie, hard as it will be, you may just have to sit down with Rich and explain to him what this journey is doing to you as well. See if you can get him to talk to you about his expectations of the role you are to play here. [And you really need to be honest with yourself about your OWN expections of the role you will play.] From my experience with final stage cancer- as a non- nurse but a wife- it was a demanding, harrowing, heart wrentching ordeal. I honestly don't believe you can be both wife and nurse[professional caregiver] in this situation. It is too much to ask; there will be times when all you want to do is hold his hand yet you should be giving meds., taking vitals, charting, changing sheets and dressings, etc.,etc. You have time to think about this as Rich is doing pretty well right now. Amy in the Ozarks

:
#35249 07-31-2007 06:14 PM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Julie
as yet another nurse i have to say i agree with all the above.When Rob went into the hospice,i just found myself doing everything for him.The staff would bring in his meds and leave them with me i changed his dressings,called the staff when he needed medication,explained everything the Doctors told us,dealt with relatives and visitors,and as one doctor said to me i went into nursing mode.

This brought about two problems.Firstly the staff were not aware of some of Robs problems mostly to do with mouth care and skin breakdown and his mental state,and secondly if i advised him to do something he often refused.
I got into the habit of doing a daily report which i passed on to the nurses and if i had a problem getting him to "behave" i would speak to his key worker nurse Jane.She would then do his dressing and talk to him at the same time.Jane was privy to so many private moments with Rob,i felt she knew almost as much about him as i did.

As his face broke down i also found it impossible to remain detached from my role as his wife when i did his dressing, and found myself increasingly unable to hide my heartbreak every time i saw it.The site of him undressed ready to shower made me bite holes through my lips,and although i gradually relinquished the bulk of his nursing care to the staff,he would never let anyone else wash him.
The hospice allowed me to be a wife and carer and the support given to me when i did go and try to hide my distress was brilliant.
Doing all this at home must be so very hard and i wish you all the very best.

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics