Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#342 10-13-2002 12:19 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone had trouble sleeping after the treatments? My mother is not able to get more than 2 hours at one time. After a few more hours of sleeplessness, she may fall asleep again for another hour, maybe not.

She has used Temazapam (Restoril) and Halcion. Of the 2, she does better with Temazapam. But it's obvious the benzodiazepines don't work for her.

Any suggestions?

Cynthia

#343 10-13-2002 08:13 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Cynthia:

The benzodiazepenes are pretty short acting and patients can develop a tolerance over time so it is probably just as well your mom doesn't like them a whole lot.

Has she tried plain old Benadryl 25mg at bedtime with a repeat if needed a few hours later? Another good one for long time use is trazodone (it's an antidepressant technically but has drowsiness as a secondary effect). Alot of people who have trouble sleeping also feel depressed and like the dual benefit of the antidepresant feature.

Good luck and how is your mom doing otherwise these days?

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"
#344 10-13-2002 12:06 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

kcdc's comment about using bendryl is a good idea for most people. Diazepam (Valium) and others like it can be less than effective for some (not me, it really knocks me out, and does wonders for my pre check up jitters, since it's primary design function is anti-anxiety) but people do develop a tolerance to it. Ambien has the shortest lifespan in the bloodstream of all of this class of drugs, and is better for those who wake up a little groggy with regular diazepam. With those of us with xerostomia I would use the benadryl with caution, as it will really dry you up further...its primary function.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#345 10-13-2002 03:09 PM

Excellent point about the Benadryl...I need to keep remembering to adjust my mind set to think about the dry mouth issue which is so problematic. Thanks for keeping me on track.

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"
#346 10-13-2002 11:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Kim and Brian,

Yes, she has tried the Benydryl and it actually made her hyper so that's out.

I think we'll try the Ambien - it seems the most logical thing to try.

Thanks for asking about my mother Kim. Otherwise, she is doing much better than a few weeks ago. The electrolytes have returned to normal and she is doing well with the PEG. The weight gain is slow and the fatigue is still present and it frustrates her. I try to tell her how much better she is doing to keep her going. I know it's tough when you don't feel like you've improved.

Cynthia

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics