Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34308 09-07-2005 08:22 PM
Nigel Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I joined this forum yesterday and already think it is awesome for the information and support its provides.

I have a question, I am 22 days out of 33 fractions of RT, 2 Chemos and one radical neck dissection, On the whole I feel good, I would say 65% recovered in my throat and able now to eat food, having lost 15kgs through lack of eating and NG tube. I have energy not as much as before but can feel it everyday getting stronger.

I have an issue over my weight as I have always had a problem before, I know when eating normally returns I will be watching it, but also have problems with the praise that you look and sound well, bearing in mind 22 days I was hardly able to walk and talk.

I would like to be able to bank this priase and move on any suggestions on how I can do this?

Steeplechase

SCC Left tonsil removed, T1N2/3 May 2005, left radical neck dissection and wisdom tooth removed, 32 lymph nodes removed, 1 infected. 33 Fractions of RT, 2 doses of Cisplatin and a NG tube for 4 weeks! Treatment ended Mid August 2005.
#34309 09-07-2005 08:48 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Nigel

Cancer taught me that I liked accepting help etc, I was too independent before. I have kept all those good vibes in my life by reaching out more and offering support to others in various ways. The joy of giving unconditionally is my good vibe bank these days.

Thankyou for sharing your feelings, love and light from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
#34310 09-07-2005 11:47 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hey Nigel,

Glad to hear you are doing and feeling so well. Keep sucking in that praise, it is so very strengthening! I have found that life after cancer has made me a much kinder person, and that keeps the good feeling going. I am much quicker to notice and appreciate the little things and thank people for the things they do, big and small. Pay it forward!

Sincerely,
Lisa

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03
#34311 09-08-2005 04:23 AM
Nigel Offline OP
OP Offline

Lisa thank you I am tired and emotional at the moment and trying everything to get some sleep, but the term you have done really well hits home well.

Because treatment is over its a strange time. I have a counselling session tomorrow to talk about the future, so things are looking up!

Steeplechase

SCC Left tonsil removed, T1N2/3 May 2005, left radical neck dissection and wisdom tooth removed, 32 lymph nodes removed, 1 infected. 33 Fractions of RT, 2 doses of Cisplatin and a NG tube for 4 weeks! Treatment ended Mid August 2005.
#34312 09-08-2005 02:52 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome Nigel,

After treatment ends it is common to feel depressed. Your on your own with alot of time to think about the future.
Take plenty of naps and ne sure to eat enough to maintain and heal. There are no shortcuts to recovering from this diaease. Take one day at a time and come here to vent and ask any questions you can think of.
You have found the most informative website on Oral Cancer. You can also use the search engine at the top of the page and learn alot about various issues.

Soon you will be the one offering advice to newcomers, All my Best, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#34313 09-08-2005 03:28 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Nigel,

Welcome to the OCF. I look forward to reading your posts as in 2 days I am so impressed with your recovery.

Although I was lucky enough to avoid surgery and radiation, I did go through many of the emotional and physical things that you and others have and are going through.

I laughed to myself every time someone said to me that I sounded great, when I knew that my speech was terrible.

It was difficult for me to accept help as I had always been a very strong and independent person. Having gone through my first major surgery at the age of 59, I soon learned how to accept help. When my wife was at work, my friends drove me to appointments, sat with me while I slept and kept telling me how great I looked and sounded. (Liars, all of them, but great friends).

I lost 15 pounds not eating for 10 days and have kept off 10 of them, now 5 months and 2 days post surgery. This is a good thing for me.

My wife recently asked me if I think about my experience with cancer often. I think she was quite surprised when I said, "yes, everyday and sometimes several times a day." I believe that this scary and life transforming experience makes one a better person, as Lisa has so aptly stated.

Take the praise and run with it. You deserve it. All of us survivors, do.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#34314 09-13-2005 12:13 PM

hello all i too find the ups and downs of this and have to talk my self out of the big fear of the wht ifs and what will life be im two months now out of surgery fo a tounge marginal and the second one the neck desection. my oc dr said i cant give yu only facts yu must deep with in find the self that does not look at the cancer its self but live in the good ness of the hope and faith as the attitude has a lot to do with recovery . i did not have to have the treatmens and go every month this was my second month vist today thanks to yu all for this site and the support rd

rd

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics