Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34296 08-29-2005 03:24 AM
doreen Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,
Lee finished treating mid July and still feels so lousy physically. He is so tired and has so many secretions with the trach. He is also depressed and I am not sure how to help. He has seen psychiatrist at urging of social worker and was placed on Ritalin for anti-depressant. He says he feels as if he doesn't fit in anywhere. We have tried to get out a little with people close to us and this makes him fel worse. He says he is reminded constantly of all he can't do- eat, drink, or speak normally. He isn't able to take anything by mouth and not sure if ever will be. The best they're hoping for is some liquids by mouth. He has vocal cords but speech is difficult to no tongue. I guess my question is should I "push" him lovingly to get back to some living or just leave him alone. It seems to only depress him more when he is around others. I can't imagine what he feels and I just want to help. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Doreen

Caregiver to husband Lee-Stage IV SCC base of tongue/epiglottis. Had total glossectomy/partial laryngectomy/ radical neck dissec 4/05 followed by chemo and rad.
#34297 08-29-2005 03:48 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Doreen,
Just a thought - maybe you could start with activities that don't require social interactions but you are around others and can take in what you want - like plays,movies, music, art, sporting events. The pressure in some of these is not on your husband then and yet there is a lot there to relate to and take in and distract from the self.
I'm not sure ritalin is really an antidepressant although I know it can stimulate a person. Maybe you could question if an antidepressant is warranted at some time to ease his way. I hope he feels better soon. It's hard to see what will bring him new life when he is still grieving deservedly what he has lost.
Peace,
Janet

Caregiver, Husband diagnosed 7/6/05 SCC left tonsil, T2N2bM0, Concurrent chemo/radiation begun 8/2/05 (Cisplatin). Received 2 cycles cisplatin, 38 radiation treatments. Completed course 9/27/05.
#34298 08-29-2005 04:35 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

I am so sorry that I have no solutions. I can tell you I was once put on a very strong old time anti-depressant as they found it reacted with the nerve centers of the spine and would perhaps leave me pain free as long as I was on it. It did relieve the pain but it also relieved any and all of my thoughts and ambitions and most of my brain cells I am sorry to add.

I went on a weaker one which did not help the pain but it helps me cope with the pain. Maybe he is on the wrong anti-depressant?

Blessings,
Barb~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#34299 08-29-2005 04:59 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I still remember the depression I went through at about the same stage. Just give him some space . He has to find his place in his new world. It takes some time to work it out. I am still to this day discovering "new" things I can or can't eat, especially in public. Do you guy's like to hike? Maybe just a very short hike, nice & easy, in a very beautiful place in the woods or on a mountain would help his spirits. Encourage, but don't push. Then again, sometimes a good kick in the ass is appropriate also! Tell him to get on this board & check it out. Erik

dx 2/11/04 scca bot T3 IU 2B MO poorly differentiated, margins ok, 3/16 modest, jaw split, over half of tongue removed, free flap from left forearm - finished chemo & rad treatment 5/20/04
#34300 08-29-2005 05:08 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Doreen, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Lee. Oral cancer is a double whammy. It really hits us where it hurts so much, I mean physically and mentally.
The only pain med that seemed to help me was morphine. I take an anti depressant daily (I am 3 years out). I think it has helped. Like Erik said maybe get him on this board, I know it helped me and still does. God Bless, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
#34301 08-29-2005 09:33 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Doreen,
I definitely would not push Lee to get into social engagements before he is ready. Things do get better, but it takes time, and the first couple of months after treatment can be the most difficult. I fought my depression by taking a nice walk every morning and giving myself a little errand or two to run each day and having a friend stop by and occasionally going to a men's cancer support group. Soon, I felt much better.

Best of luck,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#34302 08-29-2005 09:58 AM

Doreen,
I agree with Danny G., small steps. Take walks, work on any project that allows him to feel useful at home, volunteer at something that helps less fortunate people (to have him around people that need his help will boost his morale), If you are active with a church he could visit other hospitalized members. It takes time to train the mind to think in positives not to dwell in the negatives

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#34303 08-29-2005 02:57 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Doreen, Also remember that your role in this journey is also stressful and difficult. My husband let his wishes be known about when and how long he wanted to be around other people[still does] I have tried to "go with the flow" of how he wants to adjust. I guess the most important thing is that he does want to adjust. If you want to vent, drop in on the "Friends" forum and chat with us. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#34304 08-29-2005 03:32 PM

Hello Doreen,

Lee is way to close to end of treatment to be feeling very good. He is grieving for his old life and wondering how to handle his new life.
I can't imagine being a caregiver, as the patiant I know how I feel and what I can and cannot do. The caregiver has to usually figure it out on her or his own.
Please get Lee on the board, Things will get better as time goes by. Many members have been through what both of you are going thru now. We made it and I know you and Lee can to.

I also didn't want to be around anyone for a few months. Time to heal and get my head on straight. Didn't want or have any visitors at the hospital during the 17 hour surgery and afterwords in the hospital. Wife and kids only.
Some golfing buddies showed up about 4 days after surgery, It made me feel uncomfortable feeling so shitty, not being able to talk, hair not washed, teeth not brushed very good, drugged up for pain, etc.
I know they meant well but thank god once they saw how I looked and felt they didn't stay long.

All my Best, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#34305 08-30-2005 02:22 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Doreen,
My brother's surgery was at the end of January and sounds very simular to your husbands - Stage IV, removal of tongue, lower jaw, part of upper, part of throat, lymph nodes, floor of mouth, so I can definately relate to what is happening in your life. I would definately check and see if Ritalin is the right course of treatment. Of course your husband is feeling depressed, his life has completly changed in a very short time. Keep in mind that it takes most anti-depressants a month to begin working. David also had problems with secrection and "plugs" caused by the trach. We were finally given a "breathing machine" we called it - it just created humididy that came up through a hose and into a mask that went over his throat. Doing this 2-3 times a day for 15 minutes at a time helped more than anything, but the problem still remained to some extent. There are also saline drops but they didn't do much for him.
When my brother lost his ability to speak we bought him a palm pilot. They are small enough to carry everywhere with you (just don't set on them if they are in your hip pocket - he learned this the hard way). You can use the little pencil to write on the screen or you can type the words. There is a program you can download on to the palm that will "say" the words he has written. I can get that info if you want, though my brother just preferred to write his notes. You can also put games (solitare, etc) or other things on it that can help occupy their minds when there's nothing to do. It also affords some privacy. I know when David would write things on a paper note pad people were always picking it up and reading past notes so nothing he every said to anyone was private.
As for being around people - maybe he has a good friend who could come over and just take him out for a drive, for a walk, or just watch a movie with him - this helped Davy a great deal and kept him from feeling completely alone. Davy never complained of not feeling "normal" or being bitter about what he had lost. He was just so glad to be here. Of course, I'm sure he felt a devestating sadness at his loss to speak and eat and sometimes I wished he would share it with us so he didn't have to go through the pain alone. I don't know how old your husband is, but I assume he is relatively young. Help him focus on all he still has. Also, it can take months for his body to rebound from the treatments and surgery. I know my normally active brother rarely left his recliner for about 3 1/2 months following his surgery. He just physically had no energy or strength. Please keep us updated on your husband's progress and if there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask.
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics