Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33940 03-03-2005 03:14 PM
tracey Offline OP
OP Offline

had my 2nd chemo and my 8th rad today. my mouth is getting drier but no pain and i can still eat. felt alot weaker when i got home today a nap took care of that. damn peg tube hurts like hell been eating percocet like m&ms. ive always been a bit of redneck but this is crazy. well so it goes all i can do is keep on keepin on. ill beat this damn thing!!

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Tracey; Yup, this is the hard part...but it doesn't last forever. You will use a lot of your wonderful grit and determination to carry you through to the end of the rads. So many on these boards have done it...and believe me, I have little fondness or tolerance of discomfort! I yelped and complained to the rad-Oncologist every week at our review time. He was probably praying for a miracle to get this woman well in a hurry.
I am sorry the peg hurts...they should be able to correct that, just keep squeaking! They didn't give me a peg, but the struggle to eat and keep food down was horrid. As I face the possibility of further treatment now because of a recurrance, I will ask for a peg just to avoid the pressure of trying to keep my nutrition up. Everything seems to come at such a cost...and I think that the Oral Cancer survivors are the bravest most resilient people I have ever met.
Please read through as many posts as you can...there is huge strength there. And YES Tracey, I believe you WILL beat this thing.
Peace and healing rest from a fellow fighter,
Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
tracey Offline OP
OP Offline

fran, thanks for your reply and advice. i really appreciate it. every one hear has been great with info and support!! i think the hurts because its only been in 3 days. feels better today. sorry to hear of your reccurence. our diagnosis sound very simularabout half my nodes were positive. ive been up to your part of the world in the early 70s. beautiful country!! thanks again, your friend tracey

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Tracey, I have been thinking about you, Hope this time goes by quickly for you. God Bless, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---

Tracey,
How long have you had the feeding tube in for?? And is it red and inflamed around the hole?? Mine was really sore when I first had it "installed" but it went away after about 2 weeks. However about 5 months down the road it was really red and sore and showed my nurse. She basically said I should have mentioned it sooner and cauterized it for me. It hurt for a few seconds but then I had instant relief. I would show someone at the hospital. They can probably help!! As for the dryness you are started to feel...keep the water coming. I remember at about day 14 starting to feel like a sock was in my mouth. After treatment I would hit the hospital smoothie bar and it helped. Also sleep with a warm air humidifier in your room it helps. Enjoy eating your favorite things for now. I also lost my sense of taste around the third week of treatment. It came back. The first to I was able to taste again was chocolate!!!! There is a God!
Carol

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics