Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
nancyt Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this post is in the appropriate place or maybe it's not even appropriate to post at all. Tomorrow I'm making, in my opinion, another step in healing and dealing with SCC. I'll be making a trip today for inurnment services to be held for my husband at Arlington National Cemetery tomorrow (he was a Vietnam Vet serving in the Navy). When I was diagnosed on May 22, 2003 with tongue cancer, stage IV, not only was I scared knowing I was about to embark on the fight of my life with an unclear future, but 9 days later, on May 31 my husband of 22+ years passed away suddenly. So I found myself facing a very vague future. I really never had time to mourn my husband's death as I was investing all my energy in making myself well. I am happy to report that I am succeeding in many ways with just that - I'm doing well and adjusting to my new "normal" life post-treatments and also adjusting to my new "normal" life as a widow. I would like to thank everyone here who have lifted my spirits and have given me encouragement and inspiration in their own battles and victories. Although life living with cancer and without the love of your life is very lonely at times, I find that when I'm on the board I don't feel so alone. Thanks, as always, for listening. I just wanted to share my "next step" in what I feel is a very big part of my recovery in my attempts to overcome and succeed this past year in celebrating life.

You are always in my thoughts and prayers each day.

Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

God bless you Nancy and thank you for bringing us up to date. Sounds like you are doing well and taking not only next steps, but BIG ones. Keep in touch.
Sincerely,
Lisa in Ks

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Nancy,

It's remarkable how much you've dealt with (and been able to heal) over the past year. It really does take time to sort out the emotions and major adjustments that you have to come to terms with during and after treatment, especially when they coincide with other family crises. I can't imagine what it was like going through it without your husband -- I know I leaned on mine constantly during my treatment.

Stay well and please keep sharing with us.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989

Hey Nancy,
I remember reading your first post about being diagnosed and losing your husband right after. It took my breath away that you had to endure all that at once. As I have read your posts since, I have found you to be a very strong woman and quite an encouragement. Thank you for all you give to this board and the strength you have. You are in my daily prayers and may God bless you as you say another goodbye to one you loved so much.
Deb

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Nancy,

That was one refreshing post. It sounds like you are doing quite well. It's nice to know you have an extended family with people from all over the world. Nice to hear from you,

Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

God Bless You, Nancy....my thoughts are with you as well as prayers!!! Love, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Nancy
Grat to hear from you. You are one hell of a strong women and should be proud of it. Take Care
Diane

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics