Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33598 08-16-2004 07:03 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Well I got the results of my blood tests back. The doctor was thinking I may have been drug induced diabetic, but I am not. I am so tired all the time, it is because I am having such a hard time sleeping. Have tried so many different sleeping pills. forget those. I have tried music and waves. I have to sleep all but standing up it seems. I cannot sleep this way. I am just wore out. I sit in a chair--I am asleep, and the table--asleep. standing up washing dishes--asleep. I am serious here. Anyway the blood tests show my liver is three times what it should be..But the doctor said that that wouldn't have anything to do with me being so tired. By the way has anyone on here had what is called a fatty liver. Has anyones liver work came nacl as HIGH. Please let me know, I have a cat scan August 23, that was as quicl as they could get me in...Always, Miss Vicki

#33599 08-16-2004 11:20 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Vicki,

I can relate to your being so tired. I went back to work part-time last December and then full-time this June. I, too, was always exhausted and attributed it to the effects of treatments. However, when I found myself falling asleep while sitting at my computer at work, or at the xerox machine making copies I figured there was something more going on. What really scared me was when I started falling asleep while driving! This scared the hell out of me. I sleep an average of about 6 hours a night so I felt it wasn't from a real lack of sleep. Anyway, when I had my last checkup with my oncologist he mentioned that my WBC was still a little low but not alarming so. He also said no problem with my thyroid. I mentioned my falling asleep (especially at the wheel) and he has prescribed Provigil which I take each morning. Provigil is usually prescribed to people with narcolepsy. I must say it's done the trick for me and the nice thing about this medication (for me, anyway) is I still get tired but no longer the looming threat of actually falling asleep on my feet (or driving). Also, it still allows me to nap when I'm tired so it doesn't keep me awake at nights. Sorry I can't respond to your question about the fatty liver.

Please let us know how you make out on the 23rd. Prayers coming your way for good results.

Hugs, Nancy

Stage IV oral cancer (tongue), T3N2, total glossectomy with right and left modified neck dissection 7/03, rad /chemo ended 11/03
#33600 08-17-2004 02:41 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Vicki, I took ambien to sleep at nite, got a good 8 hours and actually took several naps during the day, I always felt tired. Still am somewhat, two years out. I am thinking of you and praying for good results for you...Love, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
#33601 08-17-2004 03:10 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey Vicki,
I also took Ambien to sleep to help with my anxiety and sleeplessness due to my husband having cancer. It always helped and I didn't feel run over in the mornings. I still take it some. I also take Xanax which helps me feel better some days when I get pretty emotional. I pray they can give you something to help...that sleepy feeling makes one go thru life in a fog..which is hard to do especially when you have to work.
Take care and God bless,
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
#33602 08-17-2004 05:00 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Miss Vicki,
fatty liver disease can be caused by diabetes. For more information go here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=MC00012

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#33603 08-17-2004 01:34 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hey, Miss Vicki,

Scott had the very same sleeping (or not sleeping) issues. It was all so frustrating for him. He would nod off while trying to concentrate on a movie or a book, but when he went to bed, he had to try to sleep propped up on several pillows or the trache would start clogging or he would get a ticklish, annoying cough. He would be awake off and on all night and then be exhausted all the next day.

We tried several medications to help him sleep.
One drug that was VERY effective was something called Clonazepam (a.k.a. Klonopin). The first night I crushed one and put it in his peg and he slept like a baby all night. (It only took 45 minutes for it to take effect.) Sometimes he would try to sleep without it, but mostly the nights he took it, he slept very well. Not only was that a huge relief for him, but for me as well because I would be up-and-down with him when he couldn't sleep---so we were both exhausted. The Clonazepam made him feel less anxiety about nighttime approaching. So, you might ask your doctor about this medication. Here's more information about it:

http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-r04.html

Christine

Wife of Scott: SCC, Stage I retromolar 10/02--33 rad; recurrence 10/03--Docetaxol, 5FU, Cisplatin; 1/04 radical right neck, hard palate, right tonsil; recurrence 2/04--mets to skin and neck; Xeloda and palliative care 3/04-4/04; died 5/01/04.
#33604 08-17-2004 02:08 PM

I assume they did a full Thyroid test and you know what your baseline is. Everytime I start falling a sleep while driving, my thyroid is either hyper or hypo.

Since you have so trouble sleeping at night, I assume it is because of the mucous, have you tried putting bricks under the top part bed to elevate it. Also sleeping on your side, should help. They say right to let gas out. I find left is better for me.

Do you know if you have acid reflux? Could this be causing some of the mucous problems? If so, I would try some Maalox Max Lemon at night. Seems to work for me a lot better than all those prescription meds I have been on for the last few years. Only been using that for a few weeks, so long time jury is still out.

I also saw you were complaining about energy level. Are you allowed to take any vitamin supplements or zinc to help promote energy and healing? Maybe time to ask about hyperbaric oxygen treatments.

When do you start speech therapy and go for swallow test? Keep us posted on results.

Those grandkids are depending on ya so let's go out and fight this. Hope you get some quality sleep tonight.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311