Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#33547 07-26-2004 06:21 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I appreciate your post, Danny. BTW, I previously sent you a private note, but it still shows as "unread by recipient." Did you read it? I was suggesting that you read this book: Racing to a Cure, by Neil Ruzik. In it, he talks about his own experience as well alot about the state of the art in cancer research.

I also asked Lynn to read this book a couple of weeks ago. She told me she was doing fine, that she would read the book...and now she's gone!

Friends, the state of the art in cancer research IS NOT surgery, chemo and radiation. These tried, though not always true methods have been the only thing offered to us for the last 30 years. Which is why the statistics haven't improved much in 30 years. And the unfortunate chances are that a lot of us are going to see a recurrence or a second primary. In the mean time, I beg you: Don't leave it in God's hands. Be proactive. Keep researching. Don't be lulled into the paradigm of thinking the "big three" treatment options are the only thing out there. Esspecially when they have failed. Look into things like monoclonal antibodies or anti-angiogensis agents like Celebrex. Then ask your doctors really hard questions about the state the art and what if. We, as patients and care-givers, need to be part of the driving force behind our care, not just passengers along for the ride. I don't want to read another post like Ed's about Lynn from last Friday.

I'm through ranting. Thanks for putting up with it...

-Brett

Base of Tongue SCC. Stage IV, T1N2bM0. Diagnosed 25 July 2003.
Treated with 6 weeks induction chemo -- Taxol & Carboplatin once a week followed with 30 fractions IMRT, 10 fields per fraction over 6 more weeks. Recurrence October 2005.
#33548 07-26-2004 09:25 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Danny,
It is really good to hear from you. I have always thought of you as an old guy, but since I am about to turn 57, perhaps I am older! Here's hoping that both of us are around for a long time.
Good point about those Green Bay Packers. For the last few years they have been a lot easier to love than either the Cowboys or Redskins, and of course, I have to hope that our young Texans can get it together this year.

Take care of yourself,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#33549 07-26-2004 09:25 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Brett,
Are you undergoing any of these "other" treatments that you mention in your post. If there are other things out there with benefit I want to know about them and I want to know people who are finding benefits from them. I'd love to hear about what you have learned.
Take Care,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#33550 07-26-2004 10:58 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

No, Minnie, I'm not under going any treatments. While I am part of a clinical trial, I was randomized into the control group. Which means no medication for me. The clinical trial of which I am a part has to do with chemo-prevention.

When I first found out I was sick and as I proceeded through treatment and recovery, I have always tried to learn as much as I can about this disease. I became esspecially studious after treatment ended and there was that awful wait between the end of treatment and the first follow up. I'm not a person of faith, so I guess the study gave me the feeling that I was still doing something about my disease, rather than waiting for the other shoe to drop.

(I'm happy to say, by the way, that I've passed my one year anniversary since dx and I'm still disease free)

Anyway, I have been studying this stuff for months and months now and I'm always coming across something new. I try not to waste time on quackery, looking for things based on science. Well, I came across the book I mentioned above at my library and read it. I was blown away by all the research mentioned therein that had nothing to do with the "big three" treatments. There are so many variations to collection of diseases known as cancer that I could never hope to become really knowledgeable about it, but I will never stop trying. Suffice to say there are some genetic based treatments that look very promising.

I believe knowledge is power. I believe a knowledgeable and informed patient has a much better prognosis. If I end up with a recurrent primary or a second primary, I want to be armed to the teeth. In the mean time, I hope to help everyone I can.

On a very personal note, I took the loss of Lynn pretty hard. She was my first "friend" on the forum. The first to reach out to me with a private note. We were both recent "graduates" of M. D. Anderson and had some of the same doctors. While I understand and respect her decision to deal with her recurrence her way..........damn it. Let's not mince words....I'm f$%^*&@ furious she's gone.

Find the book. Read it. Never give up.

Take care,

-Brett

Base of Tongue SCC. Stage IV, T1N2bM0. Diagnosed 25 July 2003.
Treated with 6 weeks induction chemo -- Taxol & Carboplatin once a week followed with 30 fractions IMRT, 10 fields per fraction over 6 more weeks. Recurrence October 2005.
#33551 07-26-2004 10:10 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

They say God does not give people more trials than they can bear. Apparently He thinks AzTarHeel can bear a lot, since He's also given him the Arizona Cardinals. (I'm an ex-St. Louisan who had to put up with them for many years).

I guess since I've had to think about it a lot the last couple of years, I'm not so afread of death as I was. Be damn sorry if the time does come, hope I get some sort of warning so I can at least go out big, but not afraid anymore.

Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#33552 07-27-2004 06:58 AM

Brett, you have accomplished one of your goals as you have helped me. I will read the book and think of you while I'm doing it.

Bob, I feel the same way you do. Hoping death doesn't come to me for years but am not afraid of it. My fears center around how my death would affect my girls.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#33553 07-27-2004 09:03 AM

I think it is natural to think of death when you first hear the words cancer. That is when survivorship starts and the fight begins! All of us here are fighters and yet all of us have a time to go. Lynn cared enough for all of us to let us know she was stopping treatment a few months ago and just wanted to enjoy the time left for making more memories with her young daughters and her husband. God gave her the grace to do just that.

Although I hate this disease, I am thankfull that I can take each day left to leave a good memory behind. I have a hope for the future and a better life beyond the pain. That hope gets me through the daily trials. To see death as a new beginning and not an end is called faith. And I am praying for more of that!!! It pushes the despair aside.

All of you here on this board are my heros! You give me the strength to keep praying!!! - Kris

SCC Stage IV left tonsil neck disection 3/02 radiation finished 6/02 chemo finished 9/02
Stage 2A left breast cancer 3/09, chemo and radiation, finished treatment 2/7/10 -Stage 2 right beast cancer 10/14 chemo and radiation
Every day is still a gift :-)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users