Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32722 01-07-2003 01:29 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

I attended my men's cancer support group last night and after listening to stories about prostate removal, castration, total impotence and loss of libido, and other stories of those who have had bone marrow transplants, etc....I decided...maybe there are worse things than oral cancer and maybe I don't have it so bad after all.
(I do, however really look forward to the day when I can eat solid foods again).

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#32723 01-07-2003 07:15 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Oh Danny, you are SO right! No support groups in my neck of the woods, but then I am not a joiner anyway. HOWEVER, the people I saw showing up for radiation, having to be wheeled in on stretchers and wheelchairs, looking like death warmed over, and the very, very sick people I saw at chemo, convinced me early on that while I wouldn't wish my situation on anyone, there were a whole bunch of people who would trade with me in a heart beat. "There but for the grace of God go I" suddenly took on an entirely new meaning. Thank you for reminding us to put it all in perspective. And keep on keeping on with your eating -- we are in your corner!
Joanna

#32724 01-08-2003 10:14 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Danny..........I agree with you and Joanna so much about how lucky we are....and how thankful we should be. There is ALWAYS someone in worse shoes than I am whether it be with their health, financial issues, or a family torn apart for what ever reason. As bad as a cancer diagnoses was/is, as bad and intrusive as my surgery was, and as difficult as the treatment regime was, I somehow survived. I didn't realize it while going through treatment, and even after treatement it took me awhile to realize that many, many good things came to me because of my cancer diagnoses and treatment. No, I wouldn't want to go through it again, and no, I don't wish this on anyone, but I will say it again and again: Good things do come out of bad situations, we just have to be open to the possiblity and welcome the situation as it is handed to us. Sincerely, Donna

PS Danny, I'm with Joanna, I can't wait to hear of the day when you have completed your first solid meal! IT WILL HAPPEN.....Keep up the great attitude! Enjoy your posts!

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#32725 01-09-2003 05:22 PM

I agree with this too. At the time Jim was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue (Jan 10, 2001), I was working at a new job. My supervisor was a young woman about 32 years old. Her husband had been diagnosed with leukemia while she was pregnant with their 3rd child. Her husband took a turn for the worse about 2 months before Jim was diagnosed. Denise's husband died right before Jim started radiation treatments, when their baby was just a little over a year old.
Knowing Denise and her situation really put things in perspective for us. Yes, Jim has some ongoing problems, but he is not going to die from his cancer. And, if he did, our children are adults. I would miss him very much, but I would not be left with babies to care for by myself.
Hang in there, you will be able to eat again, and the taste buds will come back.

KAREN IN TEXAS
#32726 01-12-2003 04:37 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for all the support guys...I really appreciate it.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23