Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#29457 10-25-2007 03:10 PM
OP Offline

Hi,

I found my way to this forum while trying to find any information I could find. My husband had a dental extra this wednesday and the dentist seen quite a few black spots on his jawbone in the front. The dentist told him that it is either cancer or cysts and no matter which, it will need to be cut out. Unfortunately, my husband isn't home and not able to come home to be able to see good doctor's here. The dentist there really isn't worth much to mention (while pulling a tooth, broke the root off and then ended up shoving it into my husbands sinus cavity while trying to dig it out, then didn't even do anything to pack it), so not sure how to take what he told my husband. The dentist is supposed to be getting him a referal put in so he can see a dental surgeon but I am really worried. More so because I am not able to be there with my husband through this. What could cause black spots to appear on the bone? They were found while doing an xray. The gum line at one of my husbands front teeth is also extremely low, so I figure this is associated with the black spots. The low gum line at that tooth has been like that for years and no dentist has said anything to my husband about it other then its probably gum disease, but my husband has always done all he can to keep his gums and teeth healthy. Any information I could get on this would be greatly appreciated.

Meridith

#29458 10-25-2007 03:30 PM
OP Offline

Thought I should also mention since this concerns the front of my husbands jawbone. About two years ago, my husband got attacked and in the area from the lower just to the left of center and to his lip right in the center, he got cut open to the bone. The cut went completely through his lip and he almost had to have reconstructive surgery on it but was lucky enough to have a great surgeon on hand in the emergency room to be able to sew him up (at the second hospital, first doctor wouldnt even attempt to sew my husband up). Considering the injury, thought this might also give some ideas on possible explainations for the black spots since both were at the front of his jawbone.

#29459 10-26-2007 06:00 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Meredith ,

I am not sure how to answer , BUt an oral surgeon would most likley be a better bet or even an ENT . Are they only showing up on the Xray ? I am not sure where your husband is but maybe he can even take his xrays to a comprehenisve cancer center. They would be The best to answer these questions. I am not familair with cancer of the Jawbone , i can only tell you where I would start .

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#29460 10-26-2007 09:55 AM
OP Offline

The spots are on the bone itself. Unfortunately, we have no control over what doctor or the type of doctor he gets to see. This is the situation. My husband is in prison. Honestly, my husband should not be there. We had the unfortunate experience of learning the bad side of being in a crooked county and could not afford to hire an attorney that was atleast 200 miles away to insure a fair hearing. (The sheriff in the county was recently caught by out of state police dealing drugs and many of the same officers who accused my husband, almost killed another man shortly after the incident with my husband, and all are known for being crooked, violent cops) But long story short, we have no choice on the treatment he gets, or how soon things will even start. Luckily he is scheduled for a parole hearing next august, but if this is cancer, then things need to be started before then to have a better chance of a good outcome. It has been almost 3 years since he was taken from our family, and we were happy that we had less then a year left to wait till he should be getting out. Then get this information and are helpless to do anything or to take the right action because of where he is at. It has been really hard on my husband because he hates that I am having to take care of our family by myself, and then this news. All I know is that the more information I have, the more likely I will be able to either make them do what they need to do to get him the best treatment, or for them to release him early for medical so I can take him to get the best treatment. Right now we are playing a waiting game with the black spots and a system who really doesn't care about the people inside of it. I know it is causing more stress for both me and my husband, but I am not sure what to do.

Meridith

#29461 10-26-2007 10:02 AM
OP Offline

Wanted to add: I know that my husband wasn't completely innocent, but for what he actually did, it didn't call for prison time (and I know that is the truth on this by the research I have done on the state laws). The officers also caused my husband to wreck, which totaled our car. The same officers completely denied that fact even though the evidence on our car proved otherwise. The 3 officers envolved also had completely conflicting reports over the incident, yet the judge wouldn't listen to the conflicts that were obvious. I went to the news stations to try to make it known publicly what was happening and they completely cut out anything bad I had to say about the situation and used my interview in a way that it appeared that I was happy about another situation all together.

#29462 10-26-2007 11:13 AM

Meridith ,

I do not know the LAws in OK , BUT I would think that they are somewhat the same everywhwere in that they have to offer Proper medical care. So In this case I would say an Oral Surgeon Or an ENT are the Best bet to Start with . I can try to look some stuff up for you if you would like ..you can email me or Pm me by clicking on the little Logos up near our names by the date and time . NO one under any circumstance should suffer this disease !!

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#29463 10-27-2007 02:22 PM

Meridith,
I am not familiar with the Law that governs your husbands incarceration and could really care less. I cannott quote the article of your U.S. constitution that would govern his position but maybe someone else here can. My U.S. colleagues have informed me that he, your husband is entitled to timely, accurate medical treatment while incarcerated.
So...
The dark spots on the x-ray are they in the lower or upper jawbone?
The fact that a tooth was extracted and a root tip was pushed into the sinus may not be relevant in regard to the dark spots in the x-ray. All upper tooth extractions bear this risk and even the most skilled dentists, ENT's and Oral surgeons have had this happen. The fact that it was not dealt with properly would cause me to be concerned with the level of care your husband is being provided. The outcomes for jaw cysts and jaw bone cancer are extremely different and the treatments are as well completely different.
In my opinion, without examining or evaluating the x-ray, for a dentist to say a patient has either cysts or bone cancer is irresponsible. Regardless of whether the patient in question is an inmate or CEO of a major coorperation dentists are bound by a code of ethics and professionalism to not discriminate against any patient for any reason and as well to properly follow-up or refer when a definitive diagnosis for any abnormaal finding is not found.
If I were in your position as a spouse I would research the law regarding medical treatment and diagnosis while incarcerated. I would also write a letter to the facility administration with your concerns re: what the dentist told your husband.
I am aware that my country and yours are very different in medical care and treatment of inmates. So, do your research.
I hope everything works out in your husbands favor.
Contact me any time if you feel I can be of assistance.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
#29464 10-27-2007 04:48 PM
OP Offline

Thank you Mike. I have been busy trying to find what information I could about cysts, cancer and the black spots, that I have forgotten to also look into the laws governing medical care of inmates to see what options I have there on making sure my husband gets the medical attention he needs. I understand on how the reason of his incarceration really is no concern of anything to do with his medical, unfortunately though I have come to feel that I have to explain the whys of it. I have learned since my husbands incarceration the lack of understanding that too many have in this situation. This includes my entire family who I expect no less of them then to completely disown me the moment my husband comes home. I am not even able to talk to them about what is going on now because they couldn't care less, which is the reason I looked toward the web to help me on finding information and to understand more of what is going on.

As for your question on the location of the spots: they are on the lower jaw in the front, which is the same area of my husbands injury that he received a couple of years ago which also makes me wonder if it couldnt be something as simple as arthritis and I have found one article which mentioned black spots and arthritis both. I did make alot of calls yesterday and hopefully it was enough for him to get to see the dentist again on the hole that was left open to his sinus cavity. I am waiting for my husband to call again so I can find out if it was enough or not. I have all my sites saved still from when I was researching on the charges and the behavior of the officers, so I should be able to find something there on the medical rights. I have learned though that having to actually cut away bone etc is more for the worst cases and normally radiation treatments etc are enough. And even if it does come to the worse, there is recontructive options to help if a section of the bone needs to be cut away. This will releave alot of stress off my husbands mind. The way the dentist told him on what he thought he had, and basically the only option he was looking at needing to do, it really has my husband scared right now.

Meridith

#29465 10-27-2007 07:22 PM

Meridith,
Have a Hug!! Take a breath and relax. Let's not worry about cutting away bone and surgery just yet. I'm not trying to belittle you, just trying to direct your thought process.
Maybe you misunderstood my post, so I'll try and rephrase a few of the items.
I care about every person that I feel the need to try and help on this site. At this moment it is your husband and you who are trying to help him. My effort would be no different even if your husband was the President, so my comment "I am not familiar with the Law that governs your husbands incarceration and could really care less." was not intended to insult or place less importance on his situation. I also understand that you feel you should let others know of his situation and as well to defend him.
I really admire you for taking on all of these roles. He is a lucky man to have you. I mean it. I want you to focus on the reason that you posted on this site.

A dentist saw black spots on an x-ray and told him it was a cyst or cancer.
Let's focus on and breakdown this statement and not worry about anything else.

Have another Hug I'm sure you need it, and try and follow me on this...I know you have much on your mind and are frazzeled so lets take a walk and talk...
Is your husband having problems with the sinus? After effects of a sinus perforation can include; runny nose, liquids coming out of the nose, bloody discharge, drainage from the extraction site, pain and others?
I agree someone should evaluate the sinus perforation even if the after treatment was the recommended solution.
On this site we don't say it's cancer until the doctors say its cancer...this comes as the result of a biopsy. Meridith, let us not assume the worst for your husband until we know for sure. Can we do this..are you with me?
Arthritis is not a condition that can be assessed or diagnosed from an x-ray of the lower jaw. It rarely produces any significant change to the bone in the lower jaw or chin area. There can be many reasons for black spots in this area of the lower jaw. It would be rare for bone cancer, osteosarcoma, to occur in this area. I would like to know how big the black spots are, how many are there, how close to the teeth are they, and was the x-ray a panorex or just a small periapical.
I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I can see you're confused, upset and angry all at the same time. I want you to focus on your husbands health and the potential possibilities to help him. I know you will need some assistance from your country mates and the law. I wish I could help you here, but I can't. What I can do is try and steer you in the right direction in regard to the "black spots", and also focus your thought process.

Please contact me anytime if you fell I can help.
Don't give up, we're not here to judge just to help.

God bless you,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
#29466 10-28-2007 01:12 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

MEREDITH,
I have cancer in my jaw-bone and black-spots were never an issue!
Also, I have a daughter in california who was incarcerated (fortunately only for one night!) because of the laws and the cops and her boyfriend had threatened HER, then phoned the cops to say she threatened HIM!
But as Mike and everyone on this site says, it aint cancer til the biopsy/pathology says so--and if it is, you're in the best place here honey.
Sounds like you're a brilliant advocate for him!
Let us know how things go

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members