Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#29424 10-17-2007 07:48 AM
Justin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey everyone. This is driving me nuts. Please help advise me on what you all think this looks like and how bad it might be. Below is a picture link of my mouth. The top right arrow points to a pimple like spot that i've had for quite a while. The lower right arrow is pointing to a darker area that has been concerning me for a while. I have an appointment at my dentist a week from today but I can't wait that long and need some reassurance. Any help, please?

Thanks

Link:

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7540/mouthkh9.jpg

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Justin, None of us hee are qualified to diagnose what you have from pictures. Only a few people reading here have any kind of medical training and even they would probably be hesitant to give an opinion to someone they haven't seen in person. We are just a bunch of people who've been through oral cancer supporting each other.

Try to not assume the worst until you see the dentist. We all know the anxiety that comes from waiting, but the fact is oral cancer overall is uncommon and there are probably other things it could be.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Justin Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Nelie. I understand. I was just hoping someone here could relate to the photo and say, "oh i have that too... mine was nothing." or something to that effect. Thanks

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Justin,
I understand your concern over things that you may discover in your mouth that don't appear normal. Going to your dentist for an evaluation of the areas is the proper first step.
I would not ever tell anyone on this site or in any arena, for that matter, not to worry about something that I saw in a picture (great picture though).
I would need to examine, palpate, x-ray the area and get a proper history. I have a few questions for you.
When and how did you discover these areas?
Are either of the spots sore?
Are they getting bigger?
Are you otherwise healthy?
Do you see your dentist on a regular basis?
Do you smoke or use tobacco and do you consume alcohol?
Have you or anyone in your family ever had cancer and/or oral cancer?
If anxiety and the fear of the worst is what makes you feel you can't wait a week to see your dentist I would suggest relaxing a little bit. I know that may be difficult to do but for your own mental health and stress level you have to.
Share your feelings and anxiety with your dentist when you see him/her. The areas you are indicating in your photo could be a multitude of things. I will not list them due to the length of the list. There is one thing people have to bear in mind; the roof of the mouth, hard and soft palates have many small minor salivary glands that can become inflammed, swollen, sore, and get blocked for various reasons and that no one is bilaterally symmetrical. You don't always see the exact same things on the right and left sides. I'm not suggesting that your concerns are trivial by any means. I have always said that if you are concerned you must get the areas evaluated. Just don't assume the worst.
Let us know how you make out.
E-mail or PM me anytime.

Cheers,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Justin Offline OP
OP Offline

-I have known about these areas for months now. I was looking at a molar in the mirror and noticed this. But then I assumed it was normal and all until I started reserach after I found out my girlfriend has HPV and I had performed oral sex on her numerous times.
-No spots are sore
-There has been no increase in size in the last three months.
-I am pretty healthy I'd say with the exception of seasonal allergies I'm going through right now.
-I just moved in May from Florida to Nebraska and haven't had a dentist visit since I was in Florida and that visit was in Dec 2006.
-Never smoked anything or used any tobacco in my 20 years of living. I've probably consumed a total of 10 shots of alcohol in my life .
-No history of oral cancer in my family at all.

Dr. Mike, have you seen a hard palate like mine before with good prognosis?

-Justin

Justin,

Call me Mike, Justin, I am a person just like yourself.
Research, can often times, especially if conducted on the internet, mislead and provide horrendously inaccurate and inappropriate information. This scares the socks off a lot of people. There is a large amount of accurate good info on the internet but you have to be carefully selective in what you determine is accurate. I have to emphasize that if you are worried or concerned that you need to have the areas examined by a qualified individual. I cannot diagnose anything without all the information.
My thought's (just thoughts not a clinical opinion or diagnosis) on your picture, symptoms and history, without having had the ability to examine you or take x-rays, would be; many conditions resemble your picture and most are minor however, I cannot offer a professional opinion without all the information. I am lacking x-rays and a head and neck exam in your case. I do feel strongly that you should have someone examine and take appropriate x-rays of the area. Keep your dentist appointment and let me know after if all is well.
Try not to let worry and anxiety and fear of the worst monopolize your thoughts.
My pathology professor in Dental School always made this statement,"... when you look in a horse barn look for the horses first, don't look for Zebra's because they are easy to see and then you'll miss the horses."

I'm here for you.

Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Justin Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Mike. My appointment is now set for next Tuesday at 3pm central time. The actual appointment was set up for the purpose of an exam, x-rays, and cleaning. I think I have a cavity in one of my molars too so that'll be a follow up appointment no doubt. I really hope my dentist gives me an ok on this. It's really consuming my thoughts, even thought I'm trying to not let it. I just wanna hear a professional say, "It's nothing to worry about."

Thanks again Mike

-Justin

According to published articles, HPV caused cancers in the hard palate are virtually unknown. They are typically BOT or tonsillar pillar.

It would be unethical (and possibly even illegal)for anyone here to attempt a Dx based on your photo.

You should seek out a comprehensive cancer center (CCC) and put the matter rest once and for all.

And please leave your sex life off of the forum. This should be a private issue between you and your health care provider.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Justin Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm sorry but I thought the information might be important to the questions Mike asked.

Justin Offline OP
OP Offline

Gary, what do you mean by:

You should seek out a comprehensive cancer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260