Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All,

24 Male here, no smoking, no drinking, no tobacco. Have visited these boards before but convinced myself I was alright. The recent findings of HPV related OC however have caused me some great worry once again.

Actually, that in itself is not the problem. However right around the same time that the new findings appeared, I was also having the beginnings of some discomfort in my right tonsil area. My right side tonsillar pillar is also very red, but it has been that way for going on 2 years or more now. It is difficult to describe the sensation that I am feeling, but if your Tonsil were a muscle, it would be like deep seated muscular pain. My tonsils are both quite large, but again, have been this way for along time now. On and off, I have also occasionally experienced a very faint taste of blood from the tonsil/tonsils and last night I picked out white material from the right side. Again, the fact that all of these problems are occuring only on the right side and seem to be deep in is what concerns me.

The problem is that based on the news thats out now, I fall right in with the criteria of having been involved with 5 females orally. With one of them in particular, I developed a very bad throat infection shortly afterward. The risk seems to be so great due to this, that I need to pay attention to even the smallest problem. Im really just confused about how worried I should be and what I can do at this point. Wondering if anyone here has experienced similar problems.

"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Go and see your Doctor, and point out your concerns specifically. There are a number of things besides cancer that could be responsible, and the ONLY way you will find out is with a proper examination.

That said, you can drive yourself crazy really quickly worrying about "stuff" and self diagnosing based on statistics and study results.

On an individual level, they mean nothing. Each person, each circumstance is unique and need to be examined within context, not as confirmation of a trend identified in a study.

Studies are critically important in the advancement of science, and the potential resolution of diseases as devastating as cancer.

When reading them, remember always that they are drawing conclusions based on significant numbers of cases, and they are by their nature very general in terms of the tesults achieved.

There are many things than cause sores and discomfort in your mouth and throat besides cancer. Always remember it isn't cancer until pathology says it is. Check it out certainly, but don't panic over it
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, thats pretty much what I figured. I passed my hypochondriacal stage long ago, but this seems like something I need to be legitimately concerned about as Ive placed myself squarely in what appears to be a high risk group. I guess Ill get with an ENT (again) if my problems continue.

I also posted some of my thoughts, concerns, worries regarding this HPV situation on the other board.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Why not get with an ENT now. You have nothing to loose by being proactive. There is nothing to gain by waiting....trust me...

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well... I can not argue with that. I was looking a little while ago and I noticed where I was digging out the white yesterday I have some crypts now as well... I never had tonsillar crypts before. Not looking forward to starting all over with this process again, but this stuff Im seeing is not looking good.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I am setting the appointment for next week to be seen.

Now I have a genuine cause for alarm. Examining myself last night I noticed a small flap of tissue emanating from behind my right tonsillar pillar on what seems like the tonsil itself that I had not noticed before and it nearly scared the you know what out of me. Im not sure what it is but I was poking at the crypts there enough to make them bleed yesterday. Pretty scary stuff.

I will update when I get checked out.

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

playdrv4me07 - EVERYONE has tonsilar crypts, it is an anatomical site, not a defect caused by disease. You need to calm down until you are seen by someone. Everything that your multiple posts so far have described could just as easily be a tonsillar infection and not OC. Given the delicate nature of oral soft tissues, especially some that may have an active infection in them, if you poke around at them enough, you indeed will get them to bleed. If it is a cancer you hardly have to touch friable tissues to get them to bleed - you really don't even have to poke them.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand Brian. I was kind of vague in my posting. I know that Tonsillar crypts are as common as bug bites, what concerned me was the little flap of tissue that is poking out right behind the pillar. Its just a little piece of meat but it doesnt look like its supposed to be there, plus it has kind of a whitish surface. The right side of my neck is also a little tight when I swallow. When I start talking for minutes on end I feel discomfort too. Its just a dull deep discomfort. I wish it were a sore throat like everyone else has, but its just on one side, the tonsil is kind of enflamed, and the discomfort isnt on the left side.

But... thats what the doctor is for. In other words... If there is one thing Ive learned here... its dont take these things for granted.

Btw Brian, thanks for all you do here... I made a small contribution tonight, it isnt much but I will do more when I can.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics