Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#28989 05-08-2007 09:07 AM
youngin Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hey everyone, yes, I'm still on the board. I'm patiently waiting for my head and neck ct scan. I had to go back to my GP and request this test. He said if the scan is questionable he'll send me to a surgeon to get a biopsy. Why wouldn't someone have done FNA of my palatal lump by now? All the doctors say it feels like bone. I'll give them that, it does feel like bone. I want to know for sure that its bone, though. Are cancerous tumors never hard like bone? Will this scan define whether or not this lump is bone?

youngin
#28990 05-08-2007 01:11 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

my tumor was just 1 big raw sore on the side of my tongue that never healed.yes the ct scan shows everything at least it did with mine.i wish u luck.i sure wish i would of known about this site when i was looking to talk it's been 3yrs. and my husband and my kids still will not talk about it.u will like it here i have learned alot and so will u, good luck and i hope to talk to u again soon.
lynn

linda anderson
#28991 05-12-2007 08:10 AM
youngin Offline OP
OP Offline

Well scan is set for Monday at 800 am. This should show where the bear came thru the buckwheat so to speak. I'm ready to get off this freakin roller coaster one way or another. I'm claustrophobic so this oughta be special, hopefully their machine is well put together in case I go skitzo.

youngin
#28992 05-12-2007 11:29 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hello Youngin

Hopefully you will be able to put this to bed. I have had 1 CAT (motorcycle accident) and 1 PET scan. The CAT was like a long tube. I felt a little closed in but not bad at all. The PET was easier. You just lie on a "sliding" bed. They give you an injection and then slide just the head and chest in and out a couple of times. My machine had a big opening, and I did not feel closed in at all. From the time I walked in to the time I walked out it was 20 mins. tops. I do not think you will have any problem at all. Good Luck, Petey smile

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#28993 05-12-2007 11:37 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I was wondering about you and how you were doing! I'm sorry it's been such a roller coaster ride. Glad you are doing the scan, tho'. In case you haven't visited the OCF info on this, just go to:
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/diagnosis/

This has a good explanation of the CAT and PET scans. Be sure and tell the doctor how you are feeling and claustrophobic. If you tell them ahead of time, maybe they can help you with it. My son had a combination PET/CT scan and he fainted but they couldn't let him lie down for some reason and it took a while to keep going with him. I think his blood pressure may have been low. Everyone reacts differently, you know, so you might just breeze thru the whole thing. If you still have my son's email, just send him an email if you want more specifics.

I'm in Mexico visiting a friend of mine and lo and behold, there must be a "hot spot" around because my laptop works great in any room of her condominium! I feel like I've brought OCF w/me to Mexico! cool

Let us know what happens, ok?

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#28994 05-12-2007 12:35 PM
ccw Offline

Hi youngin,

I've had 3 scans (2 PET/CT's and 1 neck CT). I don't have a clue if I would have had problems with claustrophobia because I always closed my eyes at the start and opened them at the finish - maybe that approach would help, since there is no requirement to keep your eyes open.

Best wishes,

Chris

SCC left tonsil, 2 lymph nodes, modified radical neck dissection, IMRT (both sides) completed 10/25/06, Erbitux and Cisplatin weekly, Ethyol daily
#28995 05-12-2007 11:38 PM

Youngin
The lump that I found in my mouth that started this roller coaster for me was very hard, white and where it should not have been, right on the floor of my mouth.
Best of luck with your scan. Atleast you will find out what you are dealing with.
The CT Scan should not bother you it is very quick. I am having my 1 year anniverary scan on Tuesday at 9 am.

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!
#28996 05-13-2007 03:55 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Yougin,

I will be thinkin of you tomorrow and Adele on Tues and Anne marie...CONGRATS on the vacation ..I want to go on one !

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#28997 05-14-2007 04:03 AM
youngin Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey guys. That scan wasn't bad. This thing was like a doughnut. She just injected me with some kind of dye stuff and ran me through it a few times. She said my doctor should have the scans tomorrow. Adele, good luck with your business tommorrow. Anne-Marie, Sharlee, Petey thanks for staying with me through this. I'll let you all know how this works out. I still can't be believe how self-service the process has been to get definitive information.

youngin
#28998 05-15-2007 09:13 AM
youngin Offline OP
OP Offline

My GP's nurse called me with his interpretation of my CT scan. He said node on left side is slightly enlarged but no need for concern. No mention of my lump on palate. The order on my CT scan even noted "attention palate". I knew that node was enlarged, I could feel that. My main concern is the lump in my freakin palate and it's potential relationship to that node. Is this really that difficult? Somebody throw me a freakin bone here. So I called back to the doctors office to see if I could speak with him about the scan. The receptionist said I would have to make an appointment. So here I go back to this guy to ask him what the lump is. Does anyone have any suggestions? I guess if I dont't get a definitive explanation from my family doctor I'll have him forward those scans to the Oral Surgeon at the CCC. Unbelievable. This has been like pulling teeth. No wonder why young folks are dying from this disease because of advanced stage at diagnosis.

youngin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37