Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi, I'm new to the forum and currently very worried about my health. I have not (yet) been diagnosed with anything, however, I need some answers.

A a few months ago I noticed redness on one side of my soft palate, the entire side was red (as if there was an irritation), I then had a dark vein appear above it, so I sought medical help, I have been told all sorts of things from "It's an allergy" to "it's snoring" to "it could be irritation from thrush, your tongue is coated" - I then used the thrush treatment and the problem didn't go away, then I caught a cold, starting with very heavy painful sinuses, pressure in my teeth and pain and heaviness in one ear. Then the opposite side of the soft palate became equally as red.

The soft palate did not hurt, nor did my throat or tonsils. I saw the GP who took a swab, he noticed a spot on my tonsil. He gave me antibiotics, I took them and the redness did not go away, instead I ended up with a nasty cold. I am rid of the cold now but not the cough which has lingered for a couple of weeks. I have also felt general malaise over the past couple of months and in the most recent month I have lost nearly 2 stone in weight, lost my appetite and when I do eat I get sores in my mouth after eating. They usually go by morning, but I get all sorts of problems.

I get coldness in my tongue, burning tongue, burning on insides of my cheeks, tingling in my tonsils, itching on my tonsils, I have recently had a lesion on the inside of my cheek that looked like a bruise, it was there for two days.

There are no lumps in there, but there is redness, and since that one vein appeared I now have lots of dark red thread veins all over the place, in the inside of the cheeks, on my gums, under my tongue, soft palate. I saw my dentist, he took an x-ray etc... and saw nothing that concerned him.

I then was feeling weak etc... and saw the GP, I have gone very pale and look quite transparent (my veins everywhere else are appearing), I have had a shed load of blood tests taken.

My results showed everything normal apart from an apparent slight elevation in Blood Calcium.

I had Full Blood Count done, Protein, Sodium, Hemoglobin, blood cultures, liver function, kidney function, glandular fever test, serum bilirubin, thyroid function (TFT T4 Levels etc...) All were perfectly normal, but the calcium was elevated.

I looked it up and saw that it could be one of two things: hyperparathyroidism or malignancy. I am worried about my mouth and throat and am now scared that i have an aggressive mouth or throat cancer.

I have a red throat but no pain, lots of problems with my mouth, yet no physical signs on x ray. I have also had a chest x ray due to elevated heart rate and blood pressure.

I am due to have my calcium levels checked again, but I am terrified.

I had a baby 5 months ago. I'm 29 years old. I have been a singer for a few years and am scared that singing in smokey venues may have caused it. Though my father insists it is hereditary.

Are there any other blood levels that would show up abnormal if it were mouth or throat cancer?

Sam
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sam,

I would schedule an appt with an ENT and see what is said.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I do not have a medical answer or atleast not a correct one I am sure. But In my case I hads tons of blood work right before my surgery and it was all perfect nothing showed..yet we knew I had cancer..but maybe they didnt do the right blood test I dunno.

SHar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery

Sam

Sorry I meant to post so I feel as though you should see an ent as david had said . being you have been to your Gp and Dentist .

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

My son has raised blood calcium levels ,and it is caused by a condition called hypercalcium urea.It is caused by the kidneys being unable to break down calcium and causes deposits that result in stone formation.He was diagnosed with this condition when he was 8.Prior to that he had a long history of septic tonsils that resulted in meningitis.I know this is not the same as your problem,but there are other causes of raised calcium levels.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics