Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#28941 04-30-2007 12:52 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Thank you , Jerry - I am planning to see my dentist and my periodontist soon and am putting together a list of questions for both. In fact I thought I would go in person to make the appointments so that I could drop off my list of questions and also some OCF brochures. I thought I'd ask if they knew of any free oral cancer screenings in the area, ask about the Velscope and will certainly ask if they do oral cancer screenings themselves. Do you have any other suggestions as to what would be appropriate for me to ask the dentist? I thought if I drop off my list of questions, they would have time to digest them and be ready for me when I come for my appt. Thanks for all you do.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#28942 04-30-2007 02:13 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

.....must add my two cents worth: Jerry, your impassioned response is admirable...and appropriate. I do have a question about how to advise people about where to go when they first suspect oral cancer. I still am a bit un-clear about where to suggest that they go for lesions not directly related to the teeth--the dentist or the ENT.

I agree that one should ask the dentist about his methods for doing a cancer screening, but in my case, when I asked my dentist if my problem area could be serious, (I didn't then know about "cancer screenings" but I certainly knew about oral cancer in general) he reported that he had spent a significant time in a hospital setting getting training, so I could rest assured that my problem was only ANUG. He missed it THREE times....at two routine check-ups, cauterizing it on the second of those.....and at the end, when it had spread along my gumline and onto my palate, when he cauterized it again! He simply was NOT educated enough to recognize cancer when it stared him in the face!

So...asking is a good thing...and a good start.....but they all are going to say that yes, they do a cancer screening "every time I look in your mouth." That's not good enough. If they do not spend some time actually DOING a cancer screening, by moving your tongue around and wrapping it in guaze to retract it.....if they do not put in some effort and some time specifically for a cancer exam, then they are not doing a thorough screening. And these days, if you can find a dentist....like Jerry....who is knowledgeable enough and who understands the seriousness of the screening process well enough....to have equipped his office with a Velscope, or at least a Vizlight....then you know that you have found someone who can do a proper screening.

I didn't know enough at the time to ask my dentist all of these things, but he implied that he had the training to know the difference, and he did NOT, obviously.

So now it is my project too....to educate the public about their role in their own oral heath, especially the importance of becoming familiar with their own healthy mouths so that they can recognize something different when it comes along, and to respond quickly by seeking dental advice, AND to insist on a return visit in two weeks, to ascertain that, indeed, the recommended treatment was effective,and then to insist on a biopsy if the area has not improved. This would save much time and many overlooked lesions. The other side of my awareness project is to educate the public about the responsibility that the dental profession has and how they must question their own dentist to be sure that he or she is as motivated and educated as they should be to properly protect their patients. If you don't like their answers, then find someone else. And I want to emphasize to the dental profession their serious responsibility to their patients. If they have not had recent training, then they should spend their required continuing education hours in a refresher course in oral cancer discovery and diagnosis.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#28943 04-30-2007 02:44 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Jerry
No offense taken Jerry. We are all on the same page here which it's helping each other. I realized Sarah's need to have her dental problems attended to by a dentist. My main concern was the possibility of cancer. I always had good dentists. The last one of ten years ALWAYS did an oral cancer check every visit. When I had all my teeth extracted (pariodontal disease) an recieved dentures, it was the implant dentist that dropped the ball.

Sarah
I suggest you follow Jerry's advice. He is a DDS. And as you can see, very passionate about his profession. Jerry helps many people on this board and is a great promotor of Oral Cancer Awareness.Just make sure you get the cancer check. Make that your main concern to the dentist. With all your other dental problems, I would not want him to overlook the possibility of cancer. Esspecially with the lumps in your lip, gum and jaw bone. Keep us posted. Good Luck, Petey

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#28944 04-30-2007 03:26 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Well i feel the need to jump in here.Robin went straight to the dentist when he developed an ulcer on his tongue .As it was directly below his one denture, he thought the denture was rubbing on his tongue and had made it sore.4 visits to the dentist over 6 MONTHS, a new denture and several hundreds of pounds later, the dentist was still telling him it looked sore and to put bonjela on it.It is apparent now that his tongue was catching his denture because his tongue was swollen ,not the other way round.I have reported the dentist to the General Dental council,and he is being investigated on the grounds of fitness to practise. No consolation to Robin who has had far more surgery and radiotherapy than he would have done if the blasted thing hadnt spread over those 6 months.

A simmering Liz in the UK

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#28945 04-30-2007 04:02 AM

This is great, Colleen! Asking how a screening is done is just as important as whether they do it or not. I'm making a copy of these posts so I can get my dentist/periodontist questions ready!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#28946 04-30-2007 04:40 AM

Jerry..Maybe if I buy an air ticket from LA to PA every six months I could get a good rate and come to you for a good exam. It would be worth it!!

Or I can go to Houston, where I have found the closest dental practioner with a Velscope.

My next project is to get the Velscope rep to come here to make a presentation to the local Dental Association. They have field reps throughout the country.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#28947 04-30-2007 04:44 AM
OP Offline

Im so frustrated the free clinic cant get me in till july!!!! And the other people I called dont do oral cancer screenings,Looks like im gonna have to wait till july if the lump on my jaw gets bigger and the white ulcer thing on my tongue doesnt go away then i guess ill know!!! Im sorry to sound angry but it makes me angry that lack of medical can give u sometimes a death sentence...

sarah kilbara
#28948 04-30-2007 11:14 AM

Sarah,

I'm sorry that my post took over your thread. That was not my intention. I will be starting another thread (later tonight)in the Activism forum and hope that August, Petey, Anne-Marie and the rest of you pick up my suggestions in that thread. I will title it, "Helping Your Dentist Get With The Program"

Being in the situation of going to a free clinic certainly makes things more difficult. I'm sure that they are very busy. I am assuming that you called for an appointment. Perhaps you can go to the clinic and go up to the desk and explain your situation to the receptionist.

I would would tell them that you know that you have many dental problemns and have put off treatment for a long time. However, the reason you are there now is that you are very concerned that you may have oral cancer. Ask if there is a way that you could wait until one of the dentists has a break and perhaps he/she could take a look, to help put your mind at ease. Go at a time when you can spend some time waiting. Explain that you have an appointment in July which you will keep for your routine care, but that you are very anxious to find out what is going on with the lumps in your mouth.

I hope this can work for you. Please let me know.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#28949 04-30-2007 11:37 AM
OP Offline

they said theres no way they can get me in they only have 2 drs till july and told me to go to the hospital

sarah kilbara
#28950 04-30-2007 02:35 PM

Sarah
WOW! July??? I need to make some apolgies to the Health Care System here in Florida. After I was confirmed by a biopsy that I DO HAVE CANCER, I ONLY HAD TO WAIT 5 WEEKS. (maybe the TV & Newspaper helped) It's been Eight days since then and I saw 1 Dr. who called me out of the goodness in his heart. Now they are back to jerking me off (around) again. SORRY, JUST VENTING! mad

Jerry
Do not feel bad about jumping on sarah's thread. In my 2nd response in this thread I told Sarah she would be getting a lot of posts about her treatment by that so called gp Dr. This is helping Sarah also. She now knows she is not alone! I am so upset that I did not want to post about it. ( Ground Hog's Day Syndrome! ) I'm giving them till Wednesday. Then I'm calling back the TV reporter and say we need to do that follow up segment sooner than he planned. Actually, it will be a redo. With me parading around the Palm Beach County Courthouse with a protest sign reading, AT WHAT STAGE OF DEATH DOES CANCER BECOME AN EMERGENCY? That might wake up a couple of a$$holes in Tallahassee! I might even shave my goatee to highlight the GOLF BALL SIZED LUMP UNDER MY JAW. It's anybody's quess how many Doctors won't notice it, but I'm willing to BET 10 out of 10 Lawyers pick up on it! Someone told me today to keep my chin up. I pointed to the GOLF BALL and said I HAVE NO CHOICE! mad mad

PS: Since being confirmed with cancer, I watched Tony Snow get diagnoises for a recurrance, have surgery and return to work. He may go Nuclear next week. confused

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users