Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#28931 04-29-2007 10:08 AM
OP Offline

Im a 34 yr old mom with juvinale diabetes and i also have very bad teeth,i always have an absess with white pus, but resently i discovered a hard lump in the top of my lip and gum and also a lump right near my lower jaw bone, the lump doesnt hurt but it definetly moves freely when i push on it,should i be worried?

sarah kilbara
#28932 04-29-2007 12:40 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hello Sarah.
Yes, you should be worried. But DO NOT assume you have cancer. There are many ailments that have your symptoms. You need to see an ENT.(ear, nose and throat) Dr. immediately. Not a dentist, and Not a general doctor. It is very important to see an ENT. Express your concern and symptoms. Show him (tell) of all bumps if they are not visible. Time is a big factor. Try to get an appointment within a few days. You definately need to have this looked at! Any disease or ailment discovered early is much easier to treat. Good Luck and post back here. This is a great forum. But you are not a member until you have proof of cancer. We hope you do not join our club, but if you do we will roll out the red carpet for you. Sincerely, Petey
PS. If you have any more questions write them here tonight, or anytime. We are always here for you. smile

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#28933 04-29-2007 01:05 PM
OP Offline

thank you very much, i will see a ent dr, i told my gp dr and he didnt care he just said to floss better!!

sarah kilbara
#28934 04-29-2007 01:41 PM

WOW! Was he late for golf???? I would never return to him, ever! As a matter of fact I would report him. If, and I say if...you have cancer, he is playing with your life. What ever happened to the hippocratic oath? You will get a few posts here now about this mans (I won't address him as a doctor) behavior, which is deplorable and despicable to say the least!!! Petey

***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#28935 04-29-2007 01:56 PM
OP Offline

im kinda stuck i have no medical and i have to go to a low cost clinic and i think thats why he didnt check anything(afraid he wouldnt get paid)

sarah kilbara
#28936 04-29-2007 03:01 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Yes, definitely go and see someone. I thought that I had an abcess and didn't have insurance. Come to find out it was cancer and it would get full and drain.

#28937 04-29-2007 03:14 PM

Hello Sarah
I'm in a simlar situation. I'm fighting for my treatment. No matter what our station in life is, everyone seeing a health professional deserves to be treated courteously and with dignity and respect. You gave no state, are you on Long Island? Whatever you do, you must see an ENT. Borrow the money if necessary. This could be the most important Dr appointment of your life. I can not begin to tell you how many people here have had a misdiagnosis. Or simply told it's nothing to worry about. Petey

#28938 04-29-2007 03:55 PM
OP Offline

im in upstae ny(near albany) Ive had Huge absesses on the roof of my mouth that the dr drained once but didnt seem to get it all then when it came back i drained it my self.once again it still feels like its there,this was a year ago and never checked my mouth then eather just poped the thing.

sarah kilbara
#28939 04-29-2007 04:26 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Wow, this thread really has me worked up.

First of all, Sarah, the only way you are going to get rid of your absceses is to either get the teeth extracted or have root canal treatment done. Living with abscessed teeth is a very dangerous thing. The infection that you are living with can travel to different parts of your body and if it causes a swelling in your neck, it could lead to a difficulty in breathing or even complete closure of your esophagus.

Don't get me wrong, yes, you might have cancer, but more than likely the swellings that you are having are related to abscesses that are not draining or at least, coming to a head. The only one that can treat you for these problems are a DENTIST and this should be your first stop. Rule out the most obvious cause of your problems and find out what the swellings really are and get an oral cancer screening done.

I have no intention of even discussing the person you went to that is supposed to be a physician and told you to floss better.

As far as Petey's suggestion of not going to a dentist, I feel that I must comment. He is not the first to make this statement and I certainly know where this is coming from. I am appalled at the number of our members that have had their dentist, hygienist and even their ENT miss their diagnosis. As most of you who know me know, I have made it my mission to try to educate the dental community about early detection and detection in general. There certainly is room for improvement in this area.

But, to rule out dentists as a source of oral cancer detection is unfair and inappropriate. There are many offices out there doing complete oral cancer screenings and one should ask if the office does them, before making an appointment. With Sarah's apparent dental needs, she would be best served getting her mouth in shape, while being checked for oral cancer.

Petey, I am not picking on you. You have my admiration for all that you have gone through so far and what you are about to go through. Your advocacy for the needs of oral cancer patients is to be admired. You have unfortunately, just touched a sore spot that has been festering in me for the last 2 years and I felt that now was the time to let my feelings be known.

Sarah, I hope that you take my advice and find a way to get the dental care that you have obviously needed for a long time and that in fact, you do not have cancer.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#28940 04-29-2007 04:34 PM
OP Offline

thank u i will theres a free dental clinic near me ill try them i also need them to check my tongue i have a whitish discoloration on the right side and my tongue burns so ill have them check everything(well being a free clinic ill try to get everything checked)

sarah kilbara
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37