Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28808 04-13-2007 11:53 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Friday the 13th and my husband just got results of Wednesday's biopsy, that he has squamous cell cancer again, his 4th time in 5 years. They were all caught extremely early, removed via surgery (he lost teeth and part of jaw in the previous surgeries), doctors declaring them all small and well-differentiated, clear scans. THIS time it is on his lip, and the doctor said he thinks the biopsy probably got it all, but fortunately, he had a regular check-up scheduled with his oncologist on Monday, so that timing was good. I am sure there are thoughts as to why he never had radiation, but his doctors (including Shands Hospital in Gainesville, FL) never felt he needed it because it was always caught so very early. Now, here's where you come in. In all the reading I do in here, I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention cancer on the lower lip (not from smoking, as he never smoked, chewed, or even drank much), but he seems to have a leukoplakia that keeps creeping around his mouth, causing these lesions that turn cancerous. If anyone has had treatment on LOWER LIP for SCC, we sure would appreciate your experience with this. THANKS SO MUCH....JaneP
(guess I have to change my info, below)

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
#28809 04-13-2007 05:47 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I don't have advice, but I have been reading up on a new diagnostic tool that Jerry Wilck has mentioned numerous times: the Velscope. It is a device that uses light to diagnose early problem areas even before they are visible to the eye, because of the different ways the problem tissue responds to the light. A person like your husband, who seems to have a propensity for such lesions would really benefit from routine Velscope examinations. You can call or email the company and find out where the closest practitioner is to you. I called and found that the closest one to me is in Houston. I haven't been yet, but if I had a recurring problem like yours, I think I would look into it. Good luck! I know that Jerry has bought one for his dental practice, so he can answer questions about it.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics