Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knows if a bilateral neck dissection could affect thyroid function? I did not have radiation.

My PCP just tested my thyroid levels last month for the first time and they came back a little off - indicating possible hypothyroidism. While I'm aware this can occur without radiation - I was just wondering if anyone has every seen it linked with a neck dissection. I'm only 30 and that's still pretty young to be hypothryoid naturally. (Although it's too damn young to have this cancer in the first place too!).

I have been really tired this whole year - but I just attributed it to the cancer diagnosis and worrying about that and all of the travel I do for my job. I never thought it could be a thyroid issue.

Anyway, just curious. I have to go for a re-test sometime soon just to confirm and then we'll see if it is out of whack enough to treat or just wait and see.

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.