Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28786 04-03-2007 03:21 PM
sharlee Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

How often do you do PET Scans and do you do them even if no chemo or rad and no node involvement?
Just wondering , I have never had one yet , I had a CT Scan. Also They are removing my tonsils in 1 1/2 weeks I have been on antibiotics 3 times since the surgery 7 weeks ago ...Nothing helping , some days voice is really raspy and hoarse and of course it hurts all the time somtimes with sharp shooting pain, My question is can there be cancer even if the havent seen a tumor or lesion on the tonsils ? I have been scoped 2x since surgery ( I HATE THAT ) and they dont see anything, They are going to biopsy the tonsils and it is being put off for week or so by me due 2 holidays and kids on vacation ( 5 kids outta school and recouperation dont go hand n hand LOL) , SO just curious if it could be there with out visisble signs . I am not losing much sleep over it as I know they are coming out,just a little anxious and at the point take whatever ..I give up LOL ( not in that sense that i wont fight ) take it all !!!!

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery

Shar....From what I understand, the PET scan is done after ingesting a radioactive glucose solution. It shows increased metabolic activity by showing a dark area where the tissues take up the glucose solution in increased amounts. The PET scan can show up other things besides cancer, like infection, or inflammation, or healing from surgery.....and for that reason, it is my understanding that it is better not to do them too soon after surgery, since there is no way to tell whether the shadows on the scan are from tumor activity, which is also increased metabolic activity, or from infection or inflammation or healing, which are also conditions of increased metabolic activity.

On that subject, when you DO have a PET scan of your head and neck, be sure to try to remain fairly quiet the day of your scan, and above all things, don't chew gum (You might also be advised not to eat.) Talking and chewing will exercise your jaw muscles and might cause increased uptake in those areas. When you have the scan, you don't want ANYthing to cause a questionable reading.

it sounds to me like having the tonsils biopsied before surgery is a good idea, in case the surgery will be different, depending on the outcome.

You have a lot going on, little mom, and it sounds like you are doing great. You have a lot on your plate, that's for sure! Stay upbeat. You are a bright spot for the rest of us!

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Sharlee, the petscan will be less effective after any surgery due to the inflammation ect. If you want to have a petscan have it done before the tonsillectomy. I had mine done before the tonsillectomy but we already knew I had node involvement and we were trying to find the primary tumor. The surgeon got the petscan results the day after they removed the tonsils. After removal they found the small tumor on the left tonsil and the petscan verified it also. Oh yeah I seen 3 different ENT's and they scoped me a few times and only once did one of them say that the left tonsil might be swollen but not really noticeably different from the right and he was also the last one to see me after all the irritation by all the others. My tumor was small but the metastisis involved atleast 3-4 and maybe more nodes. I went with the whole if I don't need the tonsils take em out. I really wanted to know where the primary was though because my understanding was that it would make my rad treatment more pinpointed which would mean less damage to tissue surrounding all this area. If they didn't find the primary tumor they would have to treat a broader area. Kind of like shooting in the dark. I hope it's just time for your tonsils to come out, but I have found that it's best to be sure. I'm praying for you. Lee

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users