Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28698 03-28-2007 09:13 AM
JeffL Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Just received confirmation from biopsy yesterday. 2.5 cm SCC on right tongue base, and a single 2 cm lymph node immediately adjacent to the primary, also showing SCC. The SCC is well differentiated. CT scan did not show any other lymphadenopathy.

I am 51, former smoker (25 pack years), former drinker (professional level), so I guess I had it coming, but right now it feels both scary and unfair. I visited ENT 3 years ago for sinus issues, and he felt fullness at my tongue base, CT scan showed 1 cm mass, subsequent PET scan he characterized as negative. I have visited ENT annually and had flexible nasopharyngoscopy, always given clean bill of health. Did he miss it?

I guess a bunch of emotions are clouding my thinking right now, but I hope this site will help. Tuesday is my first appointment at the local cancer center (Arthur G. James Center at Ohio State University), which is supposed to be a good one.

I feel so bad for my wife and son. My son is starting college in the fall, just received his Eagle Scout rank, and basically has everything going his way right now. My wife's mother has lymphoma, and now she has to deal with this. Life just sucks sometimes.

Sorry for the down tone. I'm sure it will improve after I get my arms around this thing. Thanks for being here to help.

Jeff

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

i know how u feel jeff.i felt the same way,i still have my ups and downs i've been lucky so far it's been 3 yrs since my surgery,so just hang in there.e-mail me any time.i'm in akron ohio had my surgery in barberton ohio great doc he invented the piece that goes in the voice box so u can talk.hope u have a good doc too hang in there

lynnlynn

linda anderson
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Jeff -
Sorry you have to be here, however, this group of people have either worn your shoes (and lived to tell about it) or are caretakers for those with oral cancer. Lots of support will always be offered. Make liberal use of "search" to read about others who have gone through what you are about to embark upon, and I know that all the information will help you. Most people are happy to offer their experiences to you and answer your questions. Keep us posted. JaneP

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jeff - It is a scary time but you are taking the right steps and once you get more information you will be even better prepared to fight this. There is so much great information on this site. Make a list of all your questions so that you can get everything answered when you see the doctor. It helps to have someone with you when you go so they can help you remember everything the doctor tells you. And come back here often with your questions or to let us know what's happening and how you are doing. You can get through this!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Jeff,

Sorry to hear of your Diag. Alot of us have been in the same boat... or take care of those who have . The Best Advice is one day and some days one moment at a time and all things are possible ..not easy ..but possible. You have found yourself in a group of very caring and knowledgeable peole ! Even though this isnt nessacarily a place any of us want to be , IT couldnt be a better bunchof people ..Best wishes to you and your family ..Take a deep breath and write all your questions down for Dr. We will all be here with you , listening , giving info or advice , and just supporting you ! ANd By the way SMOKE < DRINK < or otherwise ..no one deserves this disease and Yes it is unfair...However..You need to be even more unfair to the disease !

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Jeff,

I'm not too far ahead of you. I was diagnosed last April, right side, base of tongue, sound familiar? I was scared to death as never having been familiar with cancer and only wish I had found this site at that time. As it turned out I didn't find it until I completed Tx. last summer.

Feel free to send direct e-mail if you have any questions and I will try to answer as best as possible. I am having good follow-up results so far and just keep hoping and praying.

I was also a career smoker for 40 years and suddenly found incentive enough to quit cold turkey last April, the day my ENT reported the test results to me.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
JAM Offline

Hi, Jeff, After you get your brain "around" the diagnosis and the proposed treatment protocol, you will get lots of good help here, as will your wife - so stick with us. There is lots of good info on the "Getting through it" thread that would be good for youall to plow into at this point. Remember, you both can ask any question you want and vent as often as needed. Stay positive! Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Hi Jeff,

Sorry you had to find us here, but you'll find all the support you need from all these wonderful people. Encourage your wife and son to check out the forum, too.
I am a cargiver for my husband with Stage IV base of tongue, RT side, too. He had 3 postive nodes on teh right and one on the left. I guess I'm using the caregiver word a little loosely, though. He is doing pretty well. He had his 26th IMRT treatment today and will have his 6th Cisplatin therapy on Friday. You can get through this. My husband has a PEG and I think it helped him tremendously. So far he has only lost "1"..yes, only 1 pound. Everyone is differnt, not everyone is miserable throughout their treatment.
I wish the best for you and your family. We all know what you are going through right now and it seems unbearable, but it will get better.
Vicki

Care giver for Stage IV Base of Tongue TXN3M0
Neck Dissection 1-9-07
IMRT & 8 weekly Cisplatin
2/20/07 - 4/17/07
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Hi Jeff

Like so many others have said sorry you had to find this site. But it will be great help for you as you go though this. I am the caregiver for Marvin and we felt the same as you when we found out. Once you get over the shock and come to grips with everything you will be ready to get going on the treatments. There is alot of stuff going to take place rather quickly(atleast it was for us). After the initially finding out we went for 2nd opinion at IU Cancer Center. They schedule us for pet scan & biospy that day, we also saw the chemo doc and rad doc same day. We were in a whrilwind of things. Then once those were done it was about a week before we found out what type of treatment and how long. While we were waiting they scheduled Marvin to get a port put in(that was a good thing for him)They always have trouble finding veins on him. The port has worked great. Then 1 week later they put in his peg(that to was a lifesaver). We are heading to the end of our treatments of rad he has had 26 of 34 as of today. Plus chemo once a week. As Vicki said you will get though this. It just seems like alot at first. Just make sure you keep doctors informed as to your pain level so they can help you. Also be willing to take help when it comes your way from others. This was kinda hard for us at first. But we are thankful to have family and friends that pray for us daily. Take care. We will be praying for you as you prepare to take this on.

Barb
CG for Marvin.
JeffL Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to everyone for their input. I can tell this site is going to be invaluable going forward, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll be posting on a variety of forums, so your continued input is appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311