Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#28654 03-20-2007 04:21 AM
youngin Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Well, I've got my ENT appointment set for this Thursday. If my tonsils, (especially my left one) stay in their present condition, I think they'll blow this guy's mind. They are very sore, inflamed and producing tonsiliths like nobody's business. At this point, I'm about to get my rusty old fillet knife out do this job myself. I am trying to stay relaxed and not worry to much about the big "c", given my risk factors, but I know I'll be puckering up while this guy gives me an exam. It's been a week since my last dose of tobacco. I feel like being really mean to something cute. Just joking, I think. Actually, this website is proving to be a huge aid in tobacco cessation for me, in more ways than one. The fear is a big part of it, but probably a bigger part of it is watching brave individuals facing their fears. All of the sudden the discomfort of not have nicotine has lost it's significance. Thank god for this website and its posters.

youngin
#28655 03-20-2007 10:39 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello youngin, thanks for the compliment that makes me a youngin too. I'm 34. I have a 21 month old little boy. I felt alot of the things you described in your first post. I was a smoker, dipper and used to drink heavily but had been clean for 4.5 years. It took me about a week after my cancer dx to quit smoking and dipping. It wasn't because I believed that either one of them caused it but it every time I looked at my wife and little boy I just wanted to give myself the best chance that I could have to be with them as long as I can.I finish up my treatments this Thursday, 3-22-07. It has been really tough, scary, and eye opening. I hope you don't have cancer, but if you do and you need help we are here. You can make it through it too. I used a newer drug called chantix to help me quit. I don't know that it helped but I tried it. What helped me the most was me deciding to quit. I first tried to so my wife would quit looking at me with sad eyes. I struggled with it then. I decided one night that I was going to go sit in my lounger in the garage and smoke and dip until I didn't want to do it anymore. I smoked the first cigarette and new that I was done even before I finished the first one. I put it out and said goodbye to my old friend and haven't had the desire for dip or smokes since. You can do it. I still argue with the docs when they bring up the smoking thing, but like I said I just wanted to give myself the best chance I can have to be with my little boy and wife for as long as I can. Good luck to my friend. Lee

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee
#28656 03-20-2007 10:45 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hey youngin, I just noticed you are from Tennessee. I meant to ask when you mentioned the rusty fillet knife. I had a feeling that you might be from KY or TN. I'm up in Somerset,KY. I have a ton of friends in TN. It's always great to talk to someone who is geographically close as well.

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee
#28657 03-20-2007 03:19 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Kit,

that is great that you gave up the tobbaco ( YOU 2 LEE)... WHile they say it increases your risk for this kind of cancer ..I am proof you dont need to be doing any off it to get this ( not HPV in my case either ),, However by quitting you have just given yourselves a shot at an overall healthier life!! I am truley proud of you both ,,I am sure it wasnt easy . MY LIttle brother ( 31 LOL ) also has quit smoking after i got my diag, the reality of this disease really SUX !!! And while I have never been down south we got rusty old fillet knifes up here in NY too !!!! Maybe someday when we are all feeling 100% we can get together with all our families and go ona big ole fishin trip !!!!!

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#28658 03-21-2007 12:46 AM
youngin Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the replies. I just can't wait to get this settled. I've been short with my wife and little boy lately. My mind is always racing, having trouble sleeping and just feel like breaking down when I look into my kid's eyes. My wife thinks I'm obsessive about this and that everything is fine. I don't even talk with her about my symptoms anymore. It is hard to put my finger on any kind of a pattern as far as these symptoms. It's seems like my tonsil becomes inflamed and swollen then during or shortly thereafter I experience the numbness of my face and hand, neck stiffness and sensations under the collarbone, all on the left side. Since I inspect my mouth every 15 minutes, I have discovered that I can feel something fuzzy with the tip of my tongue somewhere back there around that left tonsil, although I can't see it with a flashlight and mirror. I think that it might be behind it. Does any of this stuff sound remotely familiar to anyone? O.K. I'll just go ahead and get fitted for my straightjacket now.

youngin
#28659 03-21-2007 02:30 AM

Try to find some sort of "neutral" position so that you'll make it until tomorrow's appointment. You can relax now....You've got somebody knowledgeable scheduled to look at all of this TOMORROW...so you don't have to do anything more...You can't see it, and you can't know what's going on. Get really busy, and tomorrow will be here, whether you worry yourself sick over it or not. It will come, and you will be at that doctor's office before you know it. Let him take charge.....today. (I am saying this with a smile, but it doesn't sound like it. I am saying it only because we ALL have been where you are, and it is a helpless feeling, not to be in control. We know!)

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#28660 03-22-2007 10:28 AM
youngin Offline OP
OP Offline

Just got back from the ENT. I explained to him my risk factors and symptoms. I also let him know that I was concerned about SCC. He gave me an oral exam and checked my neck out. He said that I didn't have oral cancer but that I do have infected tonsils. I was suprised to learn that an infection in your tonsils could cause so many crazy symptoms. Anyhow, he prescibed me some steriods and antibiotics. If the drugs don't work he wants to get rid of them (the tonsils). Thanks to everybody on this forum for advice and support. I am really not a drama queen, I just play one on the internet.

youngin
#28661 03-22-2007 03:19 PM

KIT,

We can all play one when were are being faced with the thought of this horrible disease..That is great though !!! NO CANCER ! I too have a tonsil infect right now ..they sux..I see my ent on tues and who knows if the antibiotics dont work they too may be comin out !!! UGHHHHH NO MORE POKING AND PRODING is what i say LOL>>> Glad to hear the good news !

Sharlee

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#28662 03-22-2007 07:55 PM

I am soso relieved and happy for you, Youngin'!! That's one less person that this monster can claim!

Now, you've learned a lot, so take good care of yourself and help spread the word about early detection and constant surveillance.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#28663 03-25-2007 04:07 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

HI KIT,THANK GOD U BEAT THE MONSTER NOW TAKE HEED LOOK AFTER YOURSELF .YOU HAD A FRIGHTNER GOD BLESS U ALLWAYS ...MAZ

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users