Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#28644 03-15-2007 02:04 AM
youngin Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Let me start off by introducing myself. My name is Kit. I'm a college educated professional with a wife and two kids ages 3 and 3 months. I am 33 yrs old and have been dipping since I was 13. I picked up a drinking habit in college and drank fairly heavily for the last ten years. About 8 years ago I found a hard cyst on my gumline where I dipped. I went to an oral surgeon and he exised it and had it analyzed, he said it was benign. Fast forward to two years ago. I had developed two more small cysts in my mouth and at some point a small hard cyst in my neck. I pointed the cysts out to my dentist and he didn't think they were worthy of biopsy. So now I'm having occasional numbing sensations of my jaw, as well as occasional numbness of my hand on the same side. Everything is one the left side of my body. What have I done? Has my stupidity caused me to loose valuable time in getting a diagnosis. I can't imagine dealing with this now. I am so scared that I'm not going to be there for my kids. I have an appointment with a GP today. Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

youngin
#28645 03-15-2007 02:30 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

youngin,

If I were you I would immediately go to see a cancer aware (for lack of a better term) ENT. You definately have issues that need to be examined by someone experienced in cancers in the region and I should know. The ENT I went to was the 5th doctor I had seen after finding lumps in my neck and he was the only one that discovered, and immediately i might add, my cancer.

I hope that it is not cancer but you need to know now.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#28646 03-15-2007 02:35 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Kit,

I echo David's advise. My ENT (Ear Nose and Throat or Otolaryngologist) was the doctor that performed my surgery. An oral surgeon did the biopsy on my tnongue, but with your risk factors I would go to an ENT so you can know one way or the other. If it is cancer, they can help you deal with it. If it is not cancer, they will tell you to stop dipping and drinking, quite simply smile (Not preaching here -- just common sense)

Take care and let us know. If it is cancer we can definitely help you get through whatever you may face.

Jim

T3N2aM0 SCC right oral tongue. Partial Glosectomy, Modified Neck disection for 1 Lymph Node. Dec. 2002. 35 IMRT 2003.
#28647 03-15-2007 03:15 AM
youngin Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys. I am going to request referral to a cancer knowledgable ENT. I don't know how much more anxiety I can take. All I can think about is my kids. I'm off the dip and beer.

youngin
#28648 03-15-2007 03:36 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hello Kit.
My name is Peter and I'm new and scared like yourself. This forum gives me encouragement and hope. YOU ARE NOT ALONE HERE!
Please follow all the advise you receive. These people KNOW WHAT THEY KNOW, AND THEY KNOW WHAT THEY DON'T KNOW.
Hang in there, be strong for your family. EVERYONE here wants to help YOU!
PeteyB

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#28649 03-15-2007 04:07 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center (in Nashville) and the University of Tennessee Cancer Institute (in Memphis) both have multidisciplinary head and neck cancer programs. If your biopsy does show cancer, centers like these will take a team approach to treatment, involving doctors from several specialities to come up with an individual treatment plan. If you are close to one of them, I'd start there if your biopsy comes back positive -- or even go to an ENT at the Vanderbilt or UT ear/nose/throat department for your biopsy.

I'll keep my fingers crossed....

All the best,
Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
#28650 03-15-2007 06:53 AM

Kit,

Just wanted you to know we are all thinking of you today. Glad to know you will see Dr. that knows what he is looking at.

Keep us posted.
Take Care,
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
#28651 03-15-2007 11:33 AM

HI KIT,

Sorry to hear of your situation , but like everyone here says you really NEED to have it checked .. The scary thing is the amount of younger people that are being Diag with this. I too am fairly new and also YOUNG ! LOL (atleast I like to think so 35). However I did not smoke or drink. the 1st step is the diagamosis....then everything else will follow. You have come to the right place for questions and support. I am 5 weeks out of surgery and "still healing " they tell me , but I couldnt have done it with out the support of the wonderful people on here ! I have my family and friends and while i am thankful for them ...it is not the same . the bond you feel with the people who truley understand what you are going through on your worst day , the fear you felt when they said those words to you for the 1st time , when they tell you to hold your head up you can get through it ..they know they have done it and they will give you the stregth and encouragment and prolly even a lecture if ya need it LOL.....so 1st things 1st ..the Dr......and know that we are all here waiting with you and your family !

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#28652 03-16-2007 12:55 AM
youngin Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to everybody for the their posts and good wishes. Just to update, the GP I saw yesterday felt the mass he said that he thought it was a lymph node. He took some blood for testing and gave me a referral to the ENT. He said didn't think the mass had the characteristics of a malignancy; for whatever that's worth. He did say my tonsils looked swollen and cryptic. He seemed to think that maybe my symptoms could be related to them. At any rate, I'm waiting to be seen by the ENT now. I will keep everyone posted on my situation. In the mean time y'all are in my thoughts and prayers.

youngin
#28653 03-16-2007 05:21 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Of course it is a lymph node, and the proper thing to do would have been to do a fine needle biopsy of the node. If you are not having an ear ache, tooth ache, or running a fever from some infection that might be draining into the nodes, they need to rule out the serious things first. Infections that drain to the nodes make them tender to the touch. The markers in any blood sample are not going to be of much help in finding a SCC diagnosis. As to characteristics of malignancy it is a good sign if it is painful. Painless - not so good. Fixated in place also not so good. But none of these are absolutes, and cetainly not conclusive of anything. That biopsy of the cryptic area of your tonsil and a needle biopsy of the node are not painful to go through, and if there are any questions about what's what, they should be done. Sooner better than later for many reasons, none the least of which is your peace of mind.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users