Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28559 02-04-2007 06:40 PM
AG Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,

I know you guys aren't doctors or anything, but I just need some sort of stress-releif until I get a doctors appointment because I am freaking out. I live about 4 hours away from my doctor and I've been calling around to public health care places but I'm not getting anywhere with my questions. I just need to see a doctor or an ENT.. But until then...

I have a lump on the right side of my tongue. But the thing about it is that half of it isn't even attached but the other half is. So it's kind of like a half-flappy lump.. I went to see an ENT, who just looked at it and said I was fine, but he didn't actually do a biopsy, and until I get a biopsy I won't be relieved. He wouldn't do a biopsy because he said I was fine, and that I was young (18) a non-smoker, non-drinker, etc. It hurts, I can't really describe the pain. I don't think I've felt anything like it before. The back of my throat hurts, it's been like this since december. I have shooting pains in my ears, and I don't know what to do. And near my pulse it hurts when I press on it, so I'm wondering if there is a possibility that it could be cancer, in your opinion? And has anyone ever felt these symptoms before?

I just need some sort of clarification until I can find a doctor. Should I worry about it or not? Sometimes I just feel like cutting the lump of myself..

Thank you!!

#28560 02-04-2007 06:42 PM
AG Offline OP
OP Offline

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.. Could this also be my wisdom teeth? Or periodontis? I saw my dentist (Before I noticd the lump, but when I had the pain) About my wisdom teeth and he said that hey weren't infected, so not likely. But they will be removing them in March anyway.

#28561 02-05-2007 05:51 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I, myself, would not be happy not to at least get another opinion. From my point of view, as a cancer survivor, I would want a biopsy. I would want to be sure.

If it is nothing, it will get better. It could be that you have bitten your tongue, but you would remember that. It certainly is not normal, and the ear pain concerns me. Be sure to mention that to the next doctor who sees you.

I wouldn't stop yet!

Keep us posted. We like GOOD news too!

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#28562 02-05-2007 05:53 AM

One more thing.....get yourself a small, bright flashlight, and a mirror that you can get in your mouth.....I have a purse-sized makeup mirror that I like better than the little dental mirror I bought at the drugstore. Get a good look at your problem area now, and memorize it.....and then give it a good look every day. That's the only way that you'll know if it is getting better or not.

In the meantime, please do get yourself an appointment with a different ENT, or periodontist, or oral surgeon for a second opinion.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#28563 02-05-2007 02:26 PM
AG Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks August! I have a couple of mirrors, cuz I am a girl, and most females who wear makeup have one.. But I have been monitoring it like.. 2-3 times daily since December. And if I had bit my ongue it should have healed by now (And yes, I would probably remember). But It's been like this since early December.. I dunno what to do anymore.. I went ot my actual doctor and an ENT and they both said I was fine. How can they just say that?

If it is cancer, can I sue? Lol. I'm kidding.. But seriously, if it were cancer, and they said it was nothing... That's like.. Horrible.. The decision to say that could cost me my life! Getting way ahead of myself.. I wonder if that hapened to anyone here..?

#28564 02-05-2007 04:07 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Please get an appointment with an ENT at a major Comprehesive Cancer Center. The lesion on your tongue and the compounded symptom of ear pain indicate this needs further attention ASAP.

I realize you are in Canada so getting an appt SOON may be a problem, but you symptoms that should NOT be ignored. HPV is also a major cause of H&C cancers regardless of age. You need a biopsy to insure this is NOT cancer.

Here's hoping you don't need to join the club, but let's get get checked asap.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#28565 02-05-2007 07:34 PM

AG - Please get yourself to somebody qualified like an oral surgeon as soon as possible. This is your health and you need to do whatever you have to (yell, scream, cry!) to convince somebody you have to have another opinion! My son thought he had bitten his tongue and kept putting off seeing the dentist because he had no dental insurance until the pain got so bad it was excruciating. He found out later it was Stage 2 SCC. Don't put this off. If it turns out to be nothing then at least you will know for sure. Let us know what happens.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#28566 02-07-2007 02:26 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

First, get yourself to another Doc (Oral Surgeon or ENT); maybe the first one was right and maybe he wasn't, but the stakes are too high to take a chance (and sometimes it's hard to actually see a Doc because of their schedules and typical barricades of admin and nursing staff, so the sooner the better).

While you are waiting, if there's any way for someone to take a digital photo with a camera while you are holding the mirror, with something else in the photo (even a finger) from which to judge size, do that -- Superior to memory (I've done both and the camera IS better!) -- Do it outside in sunlight if you can so the camera has a sharper picture without the flash bouncing around inside your mouth.

If it turns out that it isn't benign, for the sake of your ENT's other patients, it would be a good thing to send a copy of the pathology report to him (by registered mail if you want to get his attention; he will be then waiting for legal paperwork to follow and feeling just about the same way you are right now! Then have mercy and take him off the hook with a phone call wink ).

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics