Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Cacky.....There are not many patients on this forum who have the type of surgery that requires an obturator afterward. I am one. I would love to hear about how Ron has managed over the years with his obturator. Does he have any teeth remaining? If not, how is his obturator secured? Is it made of all-acrylic or of a combination of metal and acrylic?

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Suggestion for those who wear Obturators
KEEP THEM OUT OF THE REACH OF PETS!!!
Why you ask??? well, here is why:

My husband had taken his out because it was bothering him and he had developed a sore spot. he put it in his ditty bag (we were visiting family out of town) I had been sitting in the family room and went out to get something and saw all these pink pieces that looked suspiciously like denture material....Followed the pieces and found the dog in the bedroom where Ron had left his obturator...I hollered at the dog, and she turned around and thanks to Ron's denture including the teeth, she had the biggest grin I have ever seen on a dog, like a cartoon dog. I was laughing so hard that it was hard to scold her. We were concerned because that was the only way Ron was able to eat, and if it was destroyed, it would be a while before he could be refitted. Fortunately she had done only a little damage and lucky for her, she helped out Ron by chewing off the spot that had been bothering him. So beware pet owners. Don't learn the hard way as we did!!

Cacky

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

That goes for partials and dentures also. Dogs apparently love them. My dentists parting words were 'Be careful where you put your teeth. You don't want the dog to get them'. I don't have a dog but was grateful for the warning. Imagine how I would have felt after waiting a year and a half for partials, if a dog ate my $15000 partials.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Cacky, that is the funniest story I have heard in ages!! Thanks for the day-brightener! I can just see that dog with the fake teeth in his mouth!

but, on the serious side.....it would be a BIG problem to lose or damage the obturator. eek!

Is your husband's obt. made of all pink acrylic, or is there a metal framework involved? Mine has a metal framework and was quite expensive, but so far I am not as impressed with it as I had expected to be. I have only had it about a month, and it still needs "tweaking."

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Colleen,
Rons obt. is made out of acrylic. The one he is now using is his first "mold". Since his surgeries and radiation from the cancer reocurrance in 2001, he is unable to open his mouth wide enough to get his denture one in so he uses the old one that doesn't have teeth built in, but does cover the whole in the roof of his mouth so he can eat.

Cacky

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37