Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

We're from a small town called "Lanark" but we go to a college in Belleville. There are probably some ENT's in Belleville we can contact. I don't know what we're gonna do if he does have it..

My boyfriend said that the sore under his tongue doesn't hurt at all, and he doesn't think it has been getting any bigger. But it also hasn't been going away. And he asked his dentist to take a look at it, and didn't even care. Everyone says it is just a canker sore, but it doesn't hurt and it doesn't go away. It's just there. I think if the doctor doesn't refer him to an ENT, I'm gonna like.. Scream at him..

My boyfriend is considering finding a new family doctor, just to get a referral to an ENT. See, it's hard to go to his own doctor because we live 2 hours away when we go to college. And all the doctor at the college does is provide pa smears, and prescribe birth control pills and antibiotics.

But yeah, thanks everyone for everything! I appreciate the advice, and I'm sure my bf does too!

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

El,

I hope the following will help you and your BF get a better understanding of some of the things you mentioned.

Canker sores (apthous ulcers) typically go away in 10 days to 2 weeks. Anyone that has had one will say that they DO hurt. In your first post you mention a small red spot, but you don't say where that spot is. Is it the one under his tongue? Apthous ulcers are usually white with a red border. Apthous ulcers are usually more common during times of stress when the resistance is low. They are caused by viruses that are always present and come out during stress or before or after having a cold.

The bump on the back of his tonue is probably a papilla and if so, it is normal. There are many of them on the back of the tongue. The way you describe the problems around his ear in October could very well have been an infection caused by the piercing. It's good that he took it out.

You don't specifically mention how long the sore under your boyfriend's tongue has been there. If it is more than 2 weeks and it is in the same spot, it is probably not a canker sore.

You've gotten some good advice here and don't give up until he gets to see an ENT.

Good luck and please let us know how he makes out.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OP Offline

Thanks everyone!

Jerry, the small red spot is under the tongue, like not on the botom of the tongue, but the floor of the mouth-type thing, and it's red. And it has been there since Octoberish, but it hasn't gotten any larger, or any smaller.

And the bump at the back (papilla) is bigger than the rest, and it's more on the side of the tongue, at the back. Right beside his teeth. And he said that that is what feels like something is biting him, around that area.

Thanks Jerry, and everyone, this has relieved some stress for now!

Well, everything you say makes it more and more important that your BF get things checked out ASAP.

If the bump on the tongue is on the side (lateral border) as opposed to the top (dorsal surface) then it probably is not a papilla.

Again, the sore on the floor of the mouth, being there since October, also needs to be checked.

It is mind blowing that you guys cannot find the right Doctor to get a thorough exam.

Your persistance will pay off and don't give up until he is checked. I wish I knew how the medical system worked in Canada. We have many members there and I hope that someone can give you some advice in this area.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

OP Offline

Sorry, this is so exciting! I don't know why but oh well, we called up an ENT today, and we told them the situation, and how his family doctor lives 2 hours away, and they were like "We usually don't accept patients unless they have no fmaily doctor or they're too far away" unless there is a referral. And the girl was nice about it, and everything, she talked to him about his classes and everything. He's excited. He has an appointment on Monday, at 10:45. So we'll see. Thanks everyone!

(We're only excited because we didn't expect to get anywhere in our search for ENTs.)

That's great that you didn't give up.

Good luck on Monday. Hoping for a good report.

Jerry

Jerry

"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

El, I glad that you got something happening. Let us know how the Doctors appointment goes. Good luck!
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
OP Offline

Ok, so, my boyfriend went in yesterday to the ENT, and everything is apparently fine. The big lump isn't a tumor (he didn't do a biopsy or anything, just said it wasn't). I'm not sure if we believe him or not. I don't think either of us will be satisfied until a biopsy is done. He just poked at it. And the lump under his tongue, the ENT said that was normal too, it's just a salivary gland, and he didn't even seem to care about the pain. He checked how his ears we working and they were fine, and the doctor poked the sides of his neck, and he asked where it hurt, and when he pressed under his chin, like where salivary glands are, it hurt. And the ENT basically sent him off, without even telling him why it was hurting. The biopsy we were hoping to be performed never happened. Should we try to find another ENT, or just leave it and forget about it basically? No doctor seems to care, and it doesn't provide much hope for us.. But then, there are people out there thast need a lot of hope. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I have been a member for a while, but am a self admitted "lurker". My husband (now ex-husband) had tonsil cancer. He was treated with radiation and chemo at slaoanekettering, in NYC. He went through some emotional stuff afterwards and ended up leaving us a little over a year ago and went back to his country (chile, sa) He had been having all good check ups up til the point he left.
He emailed me today saying he has a sore in his mouth and it burns, he thinks its from the radiation (which was finished in July/03) He says he is putting some kind of "honey" on it, and it seems to be helping it. He also says he hopes to have an appointment with an "internist" there sometime in Feb. I am freaking, we have two children together (altho grown) Does anyone know what some symptoms of relapses might be? If he had a cancerous lesion in his mouth, would it burn? I am not sure if he is saying it burns or if its "like a burn" as far as appearance.
He was "staged" at late stage 3 or early stage 4, mostly due to the size of the tumor and it had gone to his soft palate.
Does anyone know if there is cancer center in Chile?
Where has Rosie gone? I havent seen her here in so long. Hopefully she is living a good full and happy life. (I am talking about the one who lost her daughter at a very young age)
I see so many new names on here and not a lot of the "familiar" ones that I used to see (been a while since i have even lurked)
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I welcome them.
Thanks for listening
Therese

Theresa, I am sorry to hear your loved one (ex- or not, you obviously still care a great deal for him) is having troubles so far away. I know you must feel helpless in the face of this new symptom. I wonder why he told you about it, he must also care. It sounds as though, on top of needing to get to a cancer center, he might need some counseling for PTSD. Post traumatic stress disorder is not JUST for veterans of foreign war. It also affects anyone (patient, caregiver, etc.,) who has faced a horrifying life-changing event and has gone through, but not necessarily BEYOND it. I would imagine quite a few of us could identify with the symptoms...
Symptoms of PTSD can include:
Flashbacks
Intrusive emotions and memories
Nightmares and night terrors
Avoiding emotions
Avoiding relationships
Avoiding responsibility for others
Avoiding situations that are reminiscent of the traumatic event
Exaggerated startle reaction
Explosive outbursts
Extreme vigilance
Irritability
Panic symptoms
Sleep disturbance
The important thing for you to know, is that you are not responsible for any of these things, the problem lies outside of yourself!!! You can control how YOU react to them, but not how HE reacts to them..
I hope you find an answer to your question about cancer centers in SA, but more important, I hope you find your way through and beyond your current heartache.

Andrea

SCC L lat tongue,Dx 9/15/05 T1N0MX L MND and L lateral hemiglossectomy 10/03/05. Recurrence 11/15/06 2nd surgery 12/04/06 hemiglossectomy 3rd surgery 01/15/07 tonsillectomy Radiation 01/25/07 to 03/08/07 3-D/CRT X 30
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users