Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CarlCee Offline OP
OP Offline

Heres my story would be great too get some advice and help. Im a nervous wreck for some reason About one full yeah ago I had pain on the side of my tongue. Went too the doctor and the diagonsis was a canker sore. With me panicking already that it still might be oral cancer. I took peroxide straight witha toothbrush and started scubbing the hell out of it along with that I would take salt and put it on what I was told a canker sore and leave it there for as long as it dissolved and continue scrubbing.I did both of these things like 3-5 times. All of a sudden the area turned extrememly white the size of a pencil head eraser. I went back too the doctor told him what I did and the diagonisis was now leukoplakia. Wait n see , heres the catch both my doctors believe the leukoplakia was caused by the peroxide and salt excess scrubbing. I am a smoker however. Anyhow how the growth was white and movable would gradually get smaller but than get back too its original size. it seem very movable and elastic-like I would have a habit of bitting the area and touching it and it got really sensitive and a bit painfull at times. So my oral surgeon decided too cut it out via scapel. Its been a year and it hasnt grown back. But I do notice I do get canker sores near the area on the side of my tongue still. they go away quickly using ora 5. but re-curr. I have this feeling I am biting my tongue while Im sleeping however I am soon too try a mouth guard. Its been a year and it hasnt grown back. What does a mild atypia biopsy mean exactly? I still get the area checked every 6 months or so.Everytime I get a canker sore I panic! And could the doctors be right that this lesion was caused by scubbing a canker sore with peroxide and salt somewhat obssevisely. And if so why would it even come back mild atypia? My doctor said this could make cells turn abnormal...and peroxide can burn a friggin hole in a wooden floor.yet on websites home remedies thay actually encourage doing this scubbing peroxide n salt on canker sores???? Can anybody relate. Mild Atypia am I having panic attacks for nothing? what is the progonisis for mild atypia anyway, scared:(

any advice will help, Carl, thanx a bunch and good luck all!

Carl Caola
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Carl,

I am sure someone will reply soon. I never heard anything about useing Peroxide & salt before?

You were smart to have oral surgeon check it out for you. Keep up on the check ups. Most of us do panic if we feel or see anything in the mouth. I too am going through another sore & waiting to see if it is something or not?

There is a lot of good information here and I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions more direct.

I am sure you will be fine, but I am not a DR.
take care.
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
CarlCee Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanx a bunch, either way I need too quit smoking. I know thanx for the reply!

Carl

Carl Caola
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Peroxides in high concentrations and various forumulations have been shown in studies to be mutanogenic. I know you don't want to hear this, but I can't imagine what possesed you to take this course of action. The mucous membranes of the mouth are some of the most delicate tissues of the body, and you are scrubbing them like they are a tile floor...

Herpes Simplex I lesions (canker sores) are caused by a virus. There right now is no such thing as a viracide that would kill it, and they run their course in about 10 days with or without treatment. They are for life and you will continue to get them from now until forever, so don't panic everytime one shows up. If it hangs around for more than a few weeks, get it checked out, because HS one mimics your worst fear - oral cancer. But don't let your mind or imagniation go there till it's been around three weeks. And then seek the opiion of a profesional rather than using some unproven home remedy.

Also as to the mildly atypical cells... well what would you expect of a cell that had been exposed to harsh chemicals? I would expect it, at the least, to become mildly atyplical from normal after that treatment.

Not everything on the web is fact based or eveidence based and home remedies and old wives tales can be found in every corner of the web. Just because it is out here in cyberspace doesn't mean you can trust it. Check that any site that you visit is willing to back up their information with a group of doctors and professionals that have established reputations from major medical or dental entities. Go to government sites like the NCI or NIDCR to get good solid information. Anyone can put up a web site and say what ever they want. It's the reputation of who puts it up that matters.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Just when you thought that you have heard it all!

Here's a link to the Quackwatch information on peroxide: http://www.quackwatch.org/search/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&query=peroxide

From the FDA:

High-strength Hydrogen Peroxide can cause death from ingestion FDA Warns Against High-Strength Hydrogen Peroxide for Medicinal Use; products can cause death if ingested - 8/1/06
Many consumers are familiar with hydrogen peroxide, a solution of which is sold over-the-counter to disinfect minor cuts. However, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warns consumers not to purchase several High-Strength Hydrogen Peroxide products being marketed on the Internet for medicinal purposes because the products can cause serious injury or death if ingested.

According to the FDA, distributors of one product marketed on the Internet as

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Medline Plus (from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health) has this on its page about canker sores:

The easiest home remedy is to apply hydrogen peroxide (1 part hydrogen peroxide and one part water with a cotton swab) to the canker sore. Then dab a small amount of milk of magnesia on the canker 3-4 times a day. This is not only soothing, but appears to help healing. (This won't get rid of the underlying virus that causes canker sores, though.)

It also says that gargling with a mild salt-water rinse "may help" -- but doesn't say ANYthing about scrubbing with salt. That sounds extremely painful. There is that old expression about rubbing salt in a wound ....

I'm sure the Medline site is talking about the hydrogen peroxide you get on the grocery store shelf (and note that even it is diluted in this case), not the high-test stuff Gary is talking about. Stay away from that!

And note this, also from Medline:

Oral cancer is not a complication of canker sores -- so stop panicking every time you find one in your mouth! If it lasts more than two or three weeks without starting to heal, though, get it checked out.

In any case, Carl -- quit smoking and scrubbing!

All the best,

Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

The extememly high concentrations of this that I was referring to are bleaching compounds (currently being explored for harmful effects) as they continue to be used as tooth bleaching agents. So far the only people that I have found who have developed a dysplasia related to this particular use were using it at many times the manufacturer's recommendation.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
CarlCee Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey thanx alot people, You've been of great help. I realize this letter is a bit odd. But since so many people get canker sores and don't know what too do. Now at least they certainly know what not too do. Just too be cautious, I do drink lots of green tea now and its liquid extract. And ocourse when I do get a canker sore. I certainly learned dont even fool around with peroxide nor salt. I do suffer from OCD Im sure that didnt help the matter. I probably read about peroxide and salt and figured Id scub like hell out of the area. Well that the last time. My leukoplakia was quite painfull. Good luck too us all! And hope all stays well.

Carl

Carl Caola

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37