Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ilene Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

My brother-in-law was recently diagnosed with a precancerous tumor in his throat. The various doctors that he has seen, locally and at the Mayo clinic, feel that this was caused by acid reflux from a hiatal hernia. He will have surgery to remove the tumor and fix the hernia. The treatment that shocks me is that they have told him he needs gastric bypass surgery. I don't understand this at all and he hasn't had the answers to my questions. Does doing bypass eliminate the reflux issues? Is this the only procedure that will do this? He is about 80lb overweight(at least in terms of what I think is reasonable - probably more if you look at the charts with the current bias toward super skinny). In any event, if losing weight were the issue there are other, less radical methods, even surgeries, than the gastric bypass. I'm worried that the doctors are getting swept away by the trend to have weight loss surgery and are suggesting a possibly unnecessary procedure.
Does anyone have any insight or experience on this?

ilene
SCC stage 1 1987, 1/4 of tongue removed, neck dissection, SCC stage 3 2000, another 1/4+ removed second neck dissection, radiation.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ilene, I know two women who have had this surgery, one about 15 years ago, and one earlier this year. In the first case, the woman lost weight gradually and kept it off for all the years I knew her. In the second case, the woman is still eating the wrong things, but is losing some weight. I know there is a risk factor associated with this surgery, so if he is to have it, I would suggest that he makes sure the surgeon has done many. Perhaps ask to speak to some of his/her patients. Personal opinion, I think Weight Watchers would be a better place to begin, if he is committed to losing weight. My husband lost 50 lbs. by a combination of exercise and my learning how to cook tasty no and low fat meals (I hide my rich, chocolate ice cream in the back of the freezer - grin). Several of non-surgical options here. I think you are right to be concerned.

Both I and my DH have had gastric bypass surgery for weight loss. However, this surgery is not always done for weight loss. It helps those who suffer from chronic acid reflux and can save their lives. Weight loss will most likely be a side effect of his surgery, but sometimes a modified surgery is done for acid reflux patients so they do not lose a great deal of weight. I'm almost positive that his doctor recommended the surgery not for weight loss but for the chronic acid reflux.

Caregiver to husband David, non smoker. Dx 1/06 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV, neck nodes involved. Surgery/Chemo/Rad. Treatment finished 5/06. Waiting. Recurrence in lung, Aug07. 6 months Cisplatin/Erbitux. Spots shrinking after 3 Cisplatin tx.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

The procedure that helps with reflux disease is called a LAPAROSCOPIC NISSEN FUNDOPLICATION. I just had it on June 1.... Not fun, for the first 6 weeks afterwards, but a big help. This compbined with proton pump inhibitors made me almost 100% cured of the issues.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Ok Brian,
Can you give us more info on this surgery. I'm living on Maalox and Prevacid but not a happy camper. I'd like to sleep on my right side again and dump the meds. How long was the surgery, who does it, what were the complications etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

With this surgery they basically take the fundus of the stomach and make a collar out of it that surrounds the pyloric sphincter that controls the opening where your esophagus attaches to your stomach, and then they pull the collar tight to strengthen this area and prevent acids from moving upwards out of the stomach. You don't want this done by just anyone. Here in So Cal there are only two guys that have done hundreds of them, and it isn't something that you want someone doing for the first time. It sounds simple, but it is complex. The first month afterwards you are on a liquid diet while things are healing, and there are side effects during this period that are less than pleasant, but they go away. Since having it done, I am still on a PPI, but my nighttime heartburn etc. is gone. Remember that acid reflux leads to Barrett's and Barrett

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Just a note of interest....I had some ongoing problems with continual acid reflux during the past year, took maalox, rolaids, etc. at first, then doc prescribed some Acidphex(?) that worked well but gave me severe diarrhea so I stopped, then he gave me Zantac which didn't really work, then finally Prevacid. However, about the same time he gave me Prevacid, I decided to take his advice along with my husband's ENT who both said I should cut out caffeine. I had been told that before but paid no mind since I have drank coffee for many years and only developed the acid reflux within the past year, so I figured caffeine couldn't be the culprit. So I quit caffeine, and never really started taking the Prevacid, and my acid reflux disappeared! I know it is not that simple for a lot of folks, but it was worth a try and actually worked for me, and I'm glad because I was starting to worry that I would end up with Barrett's and I'm paranoid to begin with since my husband got cancer.
Michele

Michele, caregiver to husband, Jesse, SCC diagnosed 1/5/06 unknown primary, lf neck mass >6 cm. Chemo (Cisplatin 2x; Carboplatin & Taxol 2x) & XRT radiation 39X ending 4/4/06. Rad neck dissection 8.5 hrs 4/13/06. 30 HBO treatments Fall 2006.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Reflux is aggrivated by many things including caffine. Diet is a big issue too. Treating it with OTC things like Zantac and Rx meds is a multi-billion dollar indiustry in the US today. Radiated H&N patients frequently have issues with it.

Brian,

How odd, I had the Laproscopic Nissen Fundoplication July 13. I seem to be following your path in many regards! I have had reflux for about 40 years and especially after treatment, it got worse. Further complications were created when the scar tissue from the PEG caused my stomach to attach to the abdominal wall and then to top it off, the surgical clips left from the PEG placement were stabbing my stomach because it was so tight against the ribs. They ended up not being able to remove the clips but everything else turned out fine. I have only taken 3 Nexiums since July 13 and I was up to 2 a day. I have eaten things and combinations I haven't had for decades and I have yet to have any heartburn or indigestion. It really is a miracle, to me.

Maybe you should keep me posted on any future treatments so I can mentally prepare myself!

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Apparently this just isn't that uncommon in radiated patients. The really extreme gas and bloating after the surgery was a real surprise and definately unpleasant. I swallowed enough Gas-X pills to fill up a dump trunk in the first three weeks. Liquid diet for the first 3-4 weeks felt like the old days right after cancer treatment, and I lost some weight, but pretty much back to my normal post cancer diet now. It definatly has helped me, but perhaps not to the helpful extent that you sound like. I would still do it again, and am told that as I get further out from my surgery date things will continue to improve....

I hope you don't follow in all my issues, I don't like to whine, but there have been plenty of others that make life difficult that I haven't mentioned. I won't bore you with the details...or get people started watching for things that may never enter their lives

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users