Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28223 08-10-2006 08:00 AM
OP Offline

Im a 22 year old male, who used chewing tobacco(spitter) on and off for about 2 1/2 years altogether. A few months ago I had a night where there was some terrible pain on the left side of my jaw, and behind my ear on the same side. The pain made me dizzy and almost about to vomit, along with making it hard to open my mouth. This lasted only one night, so I didnt think to much about it. It did however get me to stop chewing for good.
Since then I have been able to feel some pain and discomfort occasionally around my ear on the left side. My lymph nodes are also swollen, along with my left tonsil, and my jaw cracks more than usual. There are some pink bumps towards the back of my tongue, that had me worried, then I learned they were normal.
I have a dentist appointment next week, but I have been worrying myself to death. Looking through the sites about oral cancer, just makes me confused. This has made me very stressed out, as my dad had a brain tumor and still has complications due to the meds they gave him, and the last thing my family needs is for me to end up with cancer. I know cancer cant be diagonsed over the net, but is there any reason to be worried about cancer?

#28224 08-10-2006 08:57 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I would be more worried about impacted wisdom teeth. You have all of the signs of an infection. Chewing is a very risky behavour. Check out Outdoor Texans website and you can see what you might be in for if you continue to chew. Caution - It's very graphic.

Rather than worry your self to death, get a referal to an ENT and have it ruled out. Statistically, the number of people with oral cancer in your age group is very small. You are wise beyond your age to be prudent about this.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#28225 08-10-2006 12:05 PM

First of all, congratulations on stopping the chewing tobacco. If you take Gary's advice and check out www.outdoortexan.com, the odds are you will never be tempted to go back.

Gary's suggestion that your wisdom teeth can be contributing to your prblem probably is, as always, good advice. I would like to add that some of your symptoms could indicate a TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problem. It is also possible that both things are going on at the same time.

I would suggest that you keep your appointment with the dentist and see what he/she has to say. A visit to an ENT may be indicated after your wisdom teeth and TMJ are checked out.

As you found out, the bumps on your tongue are normal and it is not uncommon for people to discover them when they are examining their mouth looking for problems. They are called papillae.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users