Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28077 06-09-2006 02:53 AM
RobbieC Offline OP
OP Offline

For the past week I've had what seems to be a sore on my bottom lip. Like it may be an ulcer or something. At first I could feel it was raised a bit and it hurt at the slightest tough. Just after I noticed it I got sick (Coughing, sneezing etc)... Over the past few days it seems to have gone down a bit and it doesnt hurt anymore unless I press it hard with my tongue but its STILL there. What concerns me is that I have had a hard time quitting smokeless tobacco. This sore is in the middle and I always placed my dip to the sides of my mouth. ALso I had my wisdom teeth removed recently (late april/ early may). If this was anything to worry about would the oral surgeon had been able to see something then? Is there always spme sort of precuror before oral cancer? Does this sound like anything to worry about?

#28078 06-09-2006 07:08 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

RobbieC

No one here can tell you if you have something to worry about or not. You need to just see a dentist or ENT just do it! NOW

JOAN
#28079 06-09-2006 03:50 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Robbie,

What you "probably" have is an apthous ulcer. These occur when your resistance is low and a virus that is already in your system takes hold and creates the ulcer. The fact that you came down with a cold makes it pretty likely that this is what it is. These ulcers usually last 10 days to 2 weeks if left untreated. You should find that it will continue to decrease in size and pain as the days go by. If you still have signs of it after 2 weeks, you should definately see a dentist.

Your oral surgeon would not have noticed anything on your lip, even if he checked, as you said the ulcer just started in the past week.

As far as dipping is concerned, there is no question as to what you should do about that. QUIT and if you need help, just visit the website of one of our members, Curtis. Go to www.outdoortexan.com and read about his cancer. This should help to motivate you. If that isn't enough, contact Curtis, he will help you.

If you find that the ulcer goes away and you keep getting them when your resistance is low, send me a personal email. I can go over some things that you can do that I tell my patients with the same problems to do.

Remember ...if it's still there after 2 weeks, go see a dentist. Also check out Curtis' website.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#28080 06-10-2006 12:27 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Jerry,

Let me say what a blessing it is to have you with us.

Sincerely,
Lisa

SCC Tongue T1N0M0\Dx 3-10-03
Hemiglossectomy, alloderm graft, modified neck dissectomy 4-14-03
3 Year Survivor!
#28081 06-10-2006 03:35 AM
National OC Advocate/Speaker
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
National OC Advocate/Speaker
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Robbie,
Have you been getting thorough oral cancer screenings from your dentist? I won't tell you not to chew, but I will tell you that you need to go to a dentist that knows how to do a thorough oral cancer screening. Check out SextetScreening.org (6 steps to a thorough oral cancer screening) to know what you should be getting.
It would be helpful for you to have a dentist that has an intra-oral camera. This way, you don't have to remember what your ulcer (or any other area of irregularity) might have looked like 2 weeks ago, you can have a photo taken. (The camera costs about $800 - not a huge investment for a dental practice).
You are the only one who is in charge of your health.
You have a choice to sit back - or to be sure you get the best care so that if you have a oral cancer, it is caught early, and thus very curable.

Questions to ask the dental office secretary:
1-When did the dentist last have some continuing education on the early detection of oral cancer? since I chew, I'm at a higher risk and need to know.
2-Which hygienist in the office do you recommend for the most educated oral cancer screening? and why?
3-Do you have an intra-oral camera?

Good luck.
Eva

#28082 06-10-2006 03:50 PM

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the kudos. Comments like yours, keep me going.

Hope you are still enjoying paradise.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users