Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Amy M. Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I had a bilateral neck dissection on Jan 25th where they removed 22 lymph nodes from levels 1-3. I was wondering how many nodes are there total? Did they take them all? What about the lymph draining - if there are no nodes left - where does the fluid go? I still have a little swelling above the incision which extends upwards through my jaws. Wondering if that will be permanent or if it will eventually work it's way out.

Also- if they removed them all - does that reduce my chance of recurrence in the nodes to almost nothing? Or - does it remain the same - just would be in different nodes - or do the nodes "regrow" themselves?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't go back to the ENT for another 4 weeks and the oral surgeon didn't know for sure about those questions when I went today.

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Amy,

I have heard there are dozens of nodes. You may experience some fluid retention, but it should go away. Some of the swelling could be due to age. I'm 58, and it took a while before all my swelling went away. they also took a lot of tissue from my neck. I would call the surgeons PA and ask the questions.

Steve

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

There should be no major drainage after healing unless they radiate you. Radiation cuts off those natural drain paths and causes what ENT's refer to as "WOODY" or "PITHY" neck tissue. It feels somewhat firm and when you have a cold or stuffy nose your throat swells up like a croaking frog.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Amy,

What you are experiencing is "lymphedema". This is common after node removal as the lymph has no way to be removed from the neck, without the nodes. Massage of the area forcing the lymph to the midline of your neck will help develope new pathways for the lymph to get to the other side and be picked up by the nodes on the other side.

I was fortunate that the physical therapist that helped me with my range of motion in my left arm was also a trained lymphedema therapist. With her help, my swelling was kept to a minimum and she taught me how to do the lumph movement myself. Once gone, my swelling has never returned

You should ask for help at the hospital where your surgery was done.

You should also do a search of the site for "lymphedema"

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Amy M. Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

The nodes were removed on BOTH sides of my neck - so I'm not sure pushing it to the midline will help. Any other ideas? It isn't huge anymore - but still swollen a bit and the skin is a little funny feeling.

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.

Amy,

Sorry, I didn't pick up on the fact that you had a bilateral disection.

I sent an email off to my lymphedema therapist with your question and I'll get back to you as soon as I hear back from her. If I don't hear from her on Monday, I have my regular follow-up visit with my surgeon on Tuesday morning and I will see if she is in and ask her directly.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

goodmorning amy,
I had a radical neck dissection on Jan 11 and had 22 lymph nodes removed also. I had asked my doctor how many lymph nodes a person has in that area, my surgery was only on one side, he said that everyone is different but generally between 15- 25, the bigger your neck the tendency is to have more, he spoke of a patient who had a very fat, thick neck whom he removed 53 from one side. I had my surgery after radiation and chemo and I am experiencing "wood neck", very stiff and feel like it is being pulled when I move my head and neck to the right, but I massage it every day and try to exercise my neck and jaw muscles daily, I still am numb from my ear lobe, face along my jaw line , neck and sholder, and the cold here on the shores of lake ontario are really bothersome on my neck, however I do feel improvement daily (real or imagined- I have convinced myself that this cancer is gone for good, 1 in 22 nodes had cancer and that one was known before surgery) hang in there my dear amy and continue to ask questions and continue to fight.
always lenny

Hi all,
Hi Amy

I had the radical neck section both sides with one node positive and 17 removed from each side.

my front neck is now the only severely swollen area and it is in my case because the lymph fluid has nowhere to drain to. it takes a few months but the lymph will find its own way to drain and the swelling will go eventually.

kindest regards
Paul

SCC. floor of mouth part tongue. Radial forearm flap, 1 node pos. radical neck sec both sides. surgery jan19th. Stage III. Alive happy and smiling, just realised what life really is about.

Amy - after my neck dissection, I too have swelling and numbness around jaw, behind my ear, etc. My physio therapist recommends massaging towards the back of the the neck and downward - starting from the outside in.. The first physio therapist i had was massaging inward and I started to feel like I was choking cause all the fluid moved to the front of my neck. As much as I hate them, I've taken digital pix of my face so when someone says - You're swelling is going down - I can compare cause it usually doesn't feel like it.

Hi,

I was told today i have invasive keratinizing squamous cell carcinoma. This diagnosis was from a biopsy from the floor of my mouth. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how ulcerated the mouth has to be to be considered stage 123 etc. I have free movement of my tongue and am swollowing fine. The ulcerated legion on the floor is maybe 1 cmt long and is elevated - almost swollen.

For anyones information I find using hydregen poroxide very effective as a mouthwash and relieves pain around affected teeth and tissue. I was advised today though to dilute it to half strength.

Joe

OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Welcome Joe. Go to the main site nav bar and there is a link that is labeled staging that will take you to all the details.

When you post again please start a new thread with your new idea and questions otherwise it will get lost at the end of someone else's thread of discussion and you will not get replies. When I see that you have done that, Mark or I will delete this post.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users