Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I didn't really sllep to well last night , I have to check into the hospital this afternoon at 2:00 for a late afternoon radical neck dissection, my surgeon has 7 surgeries for today and I am #7, I asked him why, his response was that my is the most complicated and longest one of the day and he does not want to be rushed, good or bad I don't know. What can I expect when I wake up? a bit scared, what will they find? how hard is the recovery, what about sleeping and swallowing after this type of surgery, and advice and encouragement would greatly be appreciated. I will be back to this site in about a week baring complications, since I live alone I will be staying else ware for about a week, best of luck to all this week who face any new challanges.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Lenny,

I hope all goes well for you today. It seems the vast majority of people here who have had neck dissections plus radiation have said the neck dissection was much easier to deal with overall.

When I was done with surgery (it was a modified neck dissection plus partial glossectomy, including the removal of many lymph nodes), I was in ICU for monitoring for about 24 hours after, then went to a regular room for about 4 more days. The hardest part for me at that point was dealing with the tubes that were still in me, and I did have some swallowing problems for a few days largely because of them. However, within a couple of days, I was talking on the phone, and sipping liquids, and by day 5 I was moving around well, starting to eat soft foods and ready to go home. After a couple of weeks, I felt good enough to go back to work.

Your medical team should be able to manage any pain you may have in the aftermath of your surgery. Best wishes for a quick recovery and a good pathology report!

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989

Good Luck, I might be facing the same, very soon.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.

My 20 year old sister was diagnosed with squamous cell on the front side of the tongue. She had surgery to remove it and then 33 radiation treatments. They said it was completely gone. Four months later, it came back (t4) on the base of the tongue and it had metastisized to the lungs. There was no hope. Thank God, He did a miracle. After aggressive chemo. The cancer has reduced more than 70%. Now she is worried because she has constant heachaches. She also had a neck dissection of which that area has turned hard. Maybe scar tissue? Can you please tell me your side effects? How are you doing?

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Oh my gosh! She is so young to have to deal with this. I can tell you that my neck dissection is still hard, probably scar tissue, I use a cocoa butter stick every night to massage it. And it has been over 3 years since I had the surgery. God Bless, I hope your sister improves. Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---

Hi to all,

Lenny, hang in there!

I had three surgeries in a month's time. Removed lump left side of neck, then left tonisilectomy and the radical neck dissection on 11/21/05. Lump in neck was a secondary cancer (Sqaumous stage 3) site mastasis to the juguler lymph node and the left tonsil was the primary site so they done a radical neck dissection. RNS was a difficult surgery but I was up and out of bed walking approximately two after the surgery. I was in the hospital for four days at my own request due to the drain tube. I didn't want to deal with it at home. Have gotten along fine. However, my surgery site is also very hard and I'm working with a physical therapist to help with the scar tissue and to regain strength in my left arm. My strength is getting better all the time. They keep telling me they got it all. I'm going through radiation now for at least 25 treatments and possibly up to 30 (6000 rads total). I just hope and pray that it is gone and stays gone. I'm 49 yrs old and not ready for life to be over. I feel for the 20 year old having to deal with such a terrible disease at a young age. Hang in there!! God will get her through it. He is the main reason I'm fighting the battle. Karla

KJB

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users