Lee, I'm not a Doc, but your situation sounds a lot like mine was. In 1990 I had a eraser-sized lesion removed from under my tongue with a biopsy of dysplasia. The lesion, and subsequent lesions, were right in the area where I had once held cigarettes and pipestem.

I had smoked for eight years but had quit in 1970 and was drinking lots of beer and wine (lived in Germany from 1986-1992).

Over the next 15 years and a number of oral surgeons, I had a pattern of lesions developing with same biopsy. I reduced alcohol intake to almost nothing in 1994 after starting a course of antidepressants (Prozac) and fully quit in 1996.

The new lesions were always on the edge of the remaining skin and the area removed was starting to irritate, so my ENT prescribed a steriod rinse which I used for several weeks -- Shortly thereafter, a different lesion emerged in the center of the stripped area -- I wasn't concened at first, wanting to believe it was only a sort of callous, but finally when it doubled in size in two weeks I went to the ENT.

The tumor did not look like the previous white lesions, growing out to look more like a flat mushroom and tan in color (could be coffee stains). I can send photos if you want.

Turned out to be an agressive SCC T1-2 tumor with no spread yet to lymph or blood systems yet, but clearly getting ready to spread. My ENT was quite surprised to see tumor after 1.5 decades of nothing significant.

It's gone now, along with more of my tongue (some friends say I should likely have a little less tongue <grinz>) and I am 30/37ths finished with radiation therapy.

So, my advice to you based purely on my own experience is:

1. Quit smoking
2. Quit drinking
3. Examine often and treat anything different as a serious problem in need of immediate resolution.

Pete

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.