Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#27842 10-27-2005 02:01 AM
Dino Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Well....this was an intresting response.

But still...no one has answered any of my actual questions.

You are all too caught up in your own frustrations and i realize you need to vent sometimes and you consider me an easy target because my questions annoy you.

As far as me seeing a mental health person, I do not know how you can make that judgment call just from my posts. I guess you must consider yourselfs professionals in this field. But in reality, your vulgarity and insults are just down right not needed. We all sympathize with your situations, but we all have are own as well.

But, I have been seeing a mental health professional for several months and have already determined that i am very much a sane person. I do not suffer from hypocondria.

I am simply asking some questions and would like some solid advice from your experience.

If you consider my questions to be annoying to you .... then simply do not respond. It's that easy folks.

I am dealing with some very real fears and concerns at this point and just want some insight.

Again ...so that you can understand...If you do not like my questions, then do not respond. I dont now how much simpler to express this very basic and common point.

Dino
#27843 10-27-2005 05:25 AM

Please do yourself a favor and read those sites I posted ASAP. You say you are not a hypochondriac when you are in fact the textbook definition of one. Get past the social stigma, being a hypochondriac or having a mental health disorder is NOT an insult and does NOT mean you are insane.

Oh by the way, here's the text book definition of hypochondria:

"Hypochondria is a condition where the person is so overly obsessed with their health that they begin to believe that they are sick with a serious ailment even after having a medical evaluation that proves otherwise. A person with this condition is typically called a hypochondriac. It's a very real condition that effects all genders and age groups equally. Diagnosis typically takes 6 months to determine and is usually made after the person has been checked completely and given a clean bill of health repeatedly, but yet continues to fear that they are sick."

Sound familiar? I see you've been here since March, that's well over 6 months. Please leave these people alone... like you said, no one here is a professional doctor OR psychologist, so no one can here can help you anymore. So instead of asking them not to respond, follow their basic and common point and do not post.

PS - I know I said it would be my last post, buuuuuuuut Dino's post was too aggrivating... especially the 3rd sentence!

#27844 10-27-2005 09:33 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dino. Get the CT/PET scan. This will give you a finite answer if something is actually going on there or not. It still will not be definitive for cancer, but it could reveal some other underlying disease process. None of us is going to be able to, with any certainty, offer you an answer that will satisfy your questions.

Is it unusual to have pain in your throat for a protracted period of time? Yes. Does that mean that it is cancer? No. It could be a many, many benign things. The doctor is willing to write the Rx for the test and put this to bed. I'd go there even if some of it were out of your own pocket. A bunch of lay people, even with life experiences with a cancer cannot do more than speculate on what is going on with you. These observations, other than to get checked completely by a qualified doctor, will not help you resolve this.

I don't recall how many doctors you've seen about this. Can any particular doctor miss something serious? Yes. Perhaps if you got another doctor's opinion, he would find something this ENT hasn't. Bottom line is this, the posters here have done their best to help, but clearly this unresolved issue needs to be addressed by a real doctor finally identifying why you have pain. The most you can do is continue to get medical opinions from progressively more qualified and specialized doctors until a reason is determined. If after all that, they are still telling you that they can find nothing, you will have to come to the conclusion that this pain, which you really physically feel, is being caused by mechanisms not due to biological pathology.

Speaking from my perspective only, I can tell you that right after treatment I had what I thought was a cardiac event. I was sweating, I couldn't catch my breath, I had a pain in my left shoulder, and I was nauseous. A trip to the ER found that I was not having an MI. This happened on several other occasions. These were actually acute anxiety attacks, and the progression of symptoms from just a nervous stomach to the full-blown event were cascade events precipitated by my own sub conscious fear. To a guy who thought he could tough it out through anything and has been through some serious "choke down the fear and move on" events in my life in combat and in medicine, it was almost emasculating for me to have to admit that my subconscious fears were causing this cascade of escalating REAL physical symptoms. I was actually angry that the tough guy I thought I was, was being substituted for by some guy who down deep was scared. I had become my GRANDMOTHER!!!

It wasn't until I learned, with help, to control my anxiety that all this went away. The reason I relate this to you, is not because I think your having anxiety issues, though you may be... it is to illustrate that a persons sub-conscious mind can manifest physical symptoms that are as real as daylight. If all your doctors and tests conclude that there is not an underlying physical pathology, there is only one answer left. Spend the money and get the tests, and also get a second opinion. If all that yields nothing tangible, then you have to consider that the cause is other than biological pathology. But until you pursue all this on your own, posting here, as much as we would like to help you, is not going to give you answers, as you can surely see by now. As much as the people who have replied to you over the last few months would like to have been of some help, we don't have an answer for you.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users